• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Controller Players: D-Pad, or Analog Stick?

Rynozilla

Guess what I'm watching
Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
Steam
Rynozilla
Eliza Squigly Filia
What do you use, and why? I use a combination of the D-Pad, for moving my character, and the Stick, for inputs and such. Are there any reasons to not use both like I do?

P.S. Is this thread even in the right place?
Maybe? Regardless its perfectly fine to use both, analog rolls feel so rewarding...Though sometimes you should dash/airdash with buttons instead.

Maybe? Regardless its perfectly fine to use both, analog rolls feel so rewarding...Though sometimes you should dash/airdash with buttons instead.
Well, I use the D-Pad for dashes, mostly because tapping forward on a stick really quickly kind of has like a recoil almost, and the clacking noise all the time gets kinda annoying

Well, I use the D-Pad for dashes, mostly because tapping forward on a stick really quickly kind of has like a recoil almost, and the clacking noise all the time gets kinda annoying

Button dashes are like your best friend, because you can still do what you want with your D-pad hand.

I use hitbox! but sadly the controller is dying, it's a great alternative if you want something different (and also easy DP's inputs)

What I do want from the Skullheart people is opinions on what stick to buy while I fix the hitbox?
Any ideas of good quality sticks?
Thanks!

I use hitbox! but sadly the controller is dying, it's a great alternative if you want something different (and also easy DP's inputs)

What I do want from the Skullheart people is opinions on what stick to buy while I fix the hitbox?
Thanks!
Um, can you please explain "hitbox"?

Um, can you please explain "hitbox"?

This is a hitbox

N8_1024x1024.jpg

HitboxTemplatev3.jpg

Red buttons from left to right are, left,down,right,up. http://www.hitboxarcade.com/

D-Pad

No idea how you people use the analog stick at all. I tried.

Thanks!
Madcatz TEs are really good and you can usually find a promo code for a good discount. All sanwa parts.

I need to try out a hitbox.

/off topic

Hitbox is really cool, sadly my hitbox is first generation so it's dying and I can't find anyone to fix it over here at Mexico
RIP Hitbox

But I have been doing some research, on Hori sticks!
Does anyone recommends a stick please?

I use d-pad. My friend uses analog saying it's easier. I don't understand the world.

D-pad on my xbox controller feels so much better than the "original" xbox 360 controller, but still I had to develop my muscular memory to handle filia's air dash on the stick for some combos, I only use the d-pad when I'm on menus.

Long term I recomend stick usage over the d-pad, specially if you're using the 360 controller, the dashing problem only gets better as time goes on.

I use D-pad. Beware of that default 360 controller though. PS3 D-pad is better, though my old snes controller I sometimes use to play on pc actually has a better D-pad.

I use D-pad. Beware of that default 360 controller though. PS3 D-pad is better, though my old snes controller I sometimes use to play on pc actually has a better D-pad.

PS3's d-pad get's the job done pretty well.. How the hell do you play with a snes controller on pc?

D-Pad was my trusty standby since the MvC days before switching over to stick this winter :)

stick. I don't like the d pad, especially on xbox.

I totally use the d-pad. Only fighting game I can recall using the stick was DOA.

On 360 pad I play analog stick. On DS4 I play dpad because the analog stick is in a weird spot for me.

Reactions: b0nk
H-How... But... The directions are so oddly placed... Now I'm curious...

Basically its the perfect controller for fighting games.

Reactions: Rynozilla

Basically its the perfect controller for fighting games.
Oh my God.... OH MY GOD!! That's so cool! That design is pretty amazing, I actually really want to try one. (Though I still doubt I can even use an Arcade Stick... So using HitBox might be a bigger challenge)

Oh my God.... OH MY GOD!! That's so cool! That design is pretty amazing, I actually really want to try one. (Though I still doubt I can even use an Arcade Stick... So using HitBox might be a bigger challenge)

Actually is not that hard I mainly use both but the hitbox is really comfortable... also people get shocked in tournaments if you carry one a lot of LOL moments

I can play only on my brother's PS3, use a pad, and can't get a fight stick. I'd like one, though.
Played fighting games in arcades for years, from SFII to SF3:TS, and prefer that button setup and a stick for motion, including 360s. But I'll be content w/what I have access to.

Have a PS3 controller, only use D-Pad because analog just feels to weird and it's a lot harder to use, for me anyway. Though I feel dumb for having never thought about using both...I might do that from now on.

I'm thinking about getting an arcade stick soon though because I've wanted one for a long time, just never got around to it.

Reactions: Rynozilla
Have a PS3 controller, only use D-Pad because analog just feels to weird and it's a lot harder to use, for me anyway. Though I feel dumb for having never thought about using both...I might do that from now on.

I'm thinking about getting an arcade stick soon though because I've wanted one for a long time, just never got around to it.
It's funny. I've picked up some tricks while using my Analog Stick in SG. Like for example there's two practical ways to do a Z-Motion. 1. A double Quarter Circle 2. Tap forward, then one quarter circle

D-paaaaad. It makes inputs easier to control so you don't overshoot. Plus it makes movement overall easier

I used to try and use both and sometimes I do out of habit. But for the most part I use the stick because I noticed my movements and inputs are slower when I use the D-pad if I do anything besides dashes.

Analog. I have been using it because the d-pad on the xbox controllers are pretty bad. Eventually it just became natural.

I moved on to a stick, but when I was using a pad to play, I used the analogue stick because the 360's d-pad is terrible. I did find myself just randomly switching between both at times though.

Off-topic: Hitboxes seem cool. It's like a keyboard the way the buttons are laid out for movement with jump being the thumb button; kind of like how space is jump when you're playing an action game.

I always use stick in fighting games. The one time I used both was an obscure anime fighter where it was way too easy to accidentally jump during quarter circle games. I unbound stick up and used the dpad for jumping and even certain ↑ moves.