• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Controllers need love too!

Pheno

Smash 4 -> Skullgirls newcomer
Reaction score
Steam
GrieferPheno
PSN
G_Pheno
Filia
I've been thinking about buying a fightstick for 2 weeks now...
Seriously guys! I need to focus on le college! -_-;
I haven't been able to stop thinking about what to buy

But then a certain post on the "Show your sticks" thread got me thinking...
Why buy a stick and mod it for so much money if I have no experience with it?
And I looked into fightpads, they look pretty cool and are only $20 for SFxT pads with decent art

And so I was wondering, does anyone here have a modded ps3/xbox controller they use for fighters?
If so, please post pics! I'd like to possibly look into modding mine due to low budget
My brother tried modding a ps3 controller's LED's to blue and he never soldered before so it quickly fucked up
Or even better, are there any modded fightpads out there?

I'd love to see something different just for another perspective (Although some modded sticks look drop dead gorgeous)
MEEEEE.png

I use a Logitech Rumblepad 2.

Originally I bought it just to play some other games, but I tried it, and it works for fighters.

It's probably not ideal, but I got it because I use it for a variety of games.

Do you use double or squigly on your team?
Because cilia slide and squigly's LK+HK Battle Opera are going to be stupidly awkward to pull off without a dedicated macro.
Other than that, I have one and I like it. I actually still find it a decent purchase despite having ordered a fightstick, because it's got a very nice d-pad so I use it for platformers.

It's not too bad.

I use Square, Triangle and R1 for punches and X, Circle, and R2 for Kicks.

I have my assists on L1 and L2.

It's not too bad.

I use Square, Triangle and R1 for punches and X, Circle, and R2 for Kicks.

I have my assists on L1 and L2.
I was referring to the fightpad. Forgot to mention that.

We talking about controllers in here? Let me tell you about my weird setup on my Dualshock 2.

X=LP, R1=MP, R2=HP, [ ]=LK, / \=MK, O=HK, L1=Assist 1(LP+MK), R2=LP+MP (for my airdashing)

We talking about controllers in here? Let me tell you about my weird setup on my Dualshock 2.

X=LP, R1=MP, R2=HP, [ ]=LK, / \=MK, O=HK, L1=Assist 1(LP+MK), R2=LP+MP (for my airdashing)

Attachments

• 943689_638300229528582_706615408_n.jpg
    943689_638300229528582_706615408_n.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 669
Reactions: DDB
It strangely works really well.

Yes! I found this thread again. I made a video on my setup button setup. Please enjoy!

Reactions: Choose Goose
That's actually very similar to what I used to use on the SNES:
L = LP
R = MP
B (bottom button) = HP
A (right button) = LK
X (top button) = MK
Y (left button) = HK

On controllers with R1 and R2 I would switch that to R1 = LP and R2 = MP, but the face layout's basically the same.

It works a TON better than the default SF layout, ugh.

Reactions: Uzumakihero
You won’t believe it, but I play Skullgirls with a normal Xbox360 controller. Standard setting mostly, only the macros are different. I own a fightstick, but one with a standard arcade 6 button layout, so no macros. I suck so badly with the stick, that’s why I still play with a controller most of the time. I loose with the pad a lot too, but at least everything comes out like I want it to. Hard to believe, I know.

Street Fighter is the only game I really play with the stick only, but the thing I kind of miss there is a tree punch/kick-macro for the ultras. I’m too dumb to press more than two buttons simultaneously, I admit it. I know there’s worse, a lot worse to master but I’m just bad at it, sorry.

So with Skullgirls, I have macros on the shoulder buttons and it works fine for me.

When Big Band is out, I will see if the 3-month offline training with the controller was worth it. But I fear I will get stomped online so badly, I will ignore the game out of shame and only pick it up again when Eliza is ready for beta. So if I’m nowhere to be seen around here after mid-march, you know why.

I use a ps3 controller and sometimes a super nes controller hooked up via a usb adapter. I swear I think the Snes dpad is better than the ps3's, but the ps3 has better buttons.

Was gonna invest in a Saturn controller for pc's, but have been asking around if the official sega one for pc's is in any way inferior to an actual Saturn pad.

Street Fighter is the only game I really play with the stick only, but the thing I kind of miss there is a tree punch/kick-macro for the ultras. I’m too dumb to press more than two buttons simultaneously, I admit it.
As an aside, there is absolutely ZERO game design reason for SF4 to require 3 buttons for an Ultra. Two would work just as well and result in many fewer mistakes.

Reactions: Killabyte
As an aside, there is absolutely ZERO game design reason for SF4 to require 3 buttons for an Ultra. Two would work just as well and result in many fewer mistakes.
Three punches means more POWER. Duh.

I also currently use a bog standard X360 controller - all defaults, until I can discover something better (air dashes in particular are a b*tch, at least until I get used to the LP+HP shortcut).

I know I've said this all already on another thread, but I can't help but wonder how good the upcoming Steam Controller will be for Skullgirls? On one hand, the thumb pads would be marvellous for combos in my mind, but on the other hand apparently the diagonal inputs on said pads suck.

I use a trusty Microsoft Xbox 360 gamepad myself. I briefly considered switching to a Mad Catz MLG controller, but my research indicated the significantly higher price would not necessarily come with a higher durability. Hence I dropped that idea and stick to what's proven and fun for me.

I use the left analog for movement and inputs + as far as button setup goes, I roll with the default Skullgirls one only with macros set to PP and KK. As for aesthetics, I lately gave my pad a bit of a personal touch, as shown here.

I recently got an arcade stick, but prior to that I was playing with a cheap $25 Logitech F310. It's serviceable. The face buttons and d-pad are pretty good, but the shoulders and triggers are crap and the controller is awkwardly shaped to make them difficult to reach with pinky and ring-finger. I used to play fighters on the PS2, and the DS2's dpad is so sharp that the segments would grind into my thumb and give callouses over extended play. The dualshock 3's dpad doesn't feel as good in the diagonals, either. Honestly the best gamepad I've used for fighters is probably the Wii Classic Controller. Buttons are big and spaced nicely apart, shoulders are easy to reach and clicky, feels okay in the hands, and the dpad is great. I only really played Tatsunoko vs. Capcom with it though so I have no idea how good it is for 6-button fighters, and being a Wii controller it's compatible with nothing else anyway.

I wouldn't mind having a Skullgirls-branded fightpad or something. Having 4 buttons for a 6-button game is always a pain in the ass imo because you have to make compromises.

I can't agree with that, 3 buttons for Ultras makes the game easier when you are trying to do an ULTRA or a EX attack, in fact KOF XIII has this problem because you do the Neo Max/Ultimate attacks with two buttons and you need to be very careful with the commands, because an EX Move can overlap a super or viceversa, even Supers have an EX more powerful version with two buttons making the game more confusing.

Last edited:
Off-topic

I can't agree with that, 3 buttons for Ultras makes the game easier when you are trying to do an ULTRA or a EX attack, in fact KOF XIII has this problem because you do the Neo Max/Ultimate attacks with two buttons and you need to be very careful with the commands, because an EX Move can overlap a super or viceversa, even Supers have an EX more powerful version with two buttons making the game more confusing.
No, that's not how that works out. Motion overlap and requiring more/fewer buttons are separate things.
Screw up the motion for an Ultra = get an EX move, if an EX move overlaps, regardless of whether the Ultra requires 2 or 3.
Screw up the buttons for an Ultra = get a Super. There is no reason to require that an Ultra be 3 buttons, it produces no advantage over 2 and only results in more accidental Supers.

You might be trying to argue that "screw up the motion for an EX move = get an Ultra, if there were 2-button Ultras" but it'd be a Super in that same case with 3-button Ultras, so that is basically the same.

This applies to KOF also, and requiring more or fewer buttons is not solution for having motions that are too close together. Requiring 3 buttons, as well as requiring half-circle motions, is basically NEVER really necessary from a design standpoint, they are purely to increase difficulty for no reason.

Just have microphones in the controller and shout "ULTRA" or "SUPER" so the game knows what you want to do.

Reactions: PJBottoms
Just have microphones in the controller and shout "ULTRA" or "SUPER" so the game knows what you want to do.

Finally, a suitable use for Kinect!

Shoutouts to all the pad players out there! I use an XBox 360 PDP Afterglow with default buttons and the D-Pad. I really want to get a stick though, just for funsies XP

I'm not judging/hating, but my mind is kind of fucked trying to grasp that setup right now.

By the way... Thank god (MZ) for the new squigly seria cancel inputs!!
It really changed the way I play squigly, as I'm able to do more efficient combos with the easy to do cancels.

I'm not judging/hating, but my mind is kind of fucked trying to grasp that setup right now.

Just look at the video and it doesn't look too bad, I promise.