• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Steam - Windows Crashing at Startup, no solution works

SkelaR

Reaction score
Whenever I launch Skullgirls from steam I get a black window for 2 seconds, and then it disappears without any message.
I am currently running windows 8, which has had no problems with any other games.

I have tried all the following;
-DX9 Fix - http://skullheart.com/index.php?threads/windows-8-crashing-fix.7802/
-Reinstalling
-Validating Files
-Running steam in offline.
-Running Skullgirls in admin mode and compatibility mode.
-Restarting steam and computer.
-Launching Skullgirls Beta with -log in launch options, which had the same crash but did not create a file in my documents.
-Launching Skullgirls without logging into steam.
-Changing language options to English.
-Plugging out any usb devices.

What is my next step?

Also are the links from the dx9 fix reliable anymore?

Can anyone help? Still doesnt work and I don't want to get a refund.

I, uhhh, can't help you at all but could you give anymore information about your pc? This'll help a lot for those that actually know what to do.

Someone once said that uninstalling and reinstalling Steam made it give them the correct DX9 for SG, but that sucks to do.

Try the DX9 web installer?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

Anything weird about your install folder? Cyrillic characters or whatnot?

The dx9 web installer link from here (http://skullheart.com/index.php?threads/windows-8-crashing-fix.7802/) leads me to a completely different page for windows 10, whereas yours works perfectly fine, not sure if its just on my end. All my file names have regular characters. Also tried using the web installer you just linked me and all it does is tell me i already have a newer or equivalent version already. I'll try reinstall steam now.

Reinstalled steam, and redownloading Skullgirls now. Not sure if relevent, but when trying to download steam says i need about 4 gigs of free space, but while it downloads it says its only 1.7 gigs?

I, uhhh, can't help you at all but could you give anymore information about your pc? This'll help a lot for those that actually know what to do.

I'm running an Asus Laptop, Windows 8.1
Intel Core i7-4500 CPU, 1.80GHz, 2.40GHz
8 GB Ram
64-bot operating system.
GeForce GT 740M

Ok, so I did a bit of digging and found an old thread with the same problem, guy had the same intel core too, I think.
Problem was fixed by "reinstalling steam"
Hope what you're doing works~

Reinstalled steam, reinstalled the game. No change, same problem. I uninstalled steam from the control panel btw. Will try to validate files again. After that what should i try next?

I mean, crashing at startup does totally mean the shader compilation is failing. Which in turn implies you still don't have DX9...that or your graphics card doesn't support shader language 2.0, which is like 10 years old. So I am not sure what to say.

Reactions: gllt
I posted my specs above, doubt the video card is the problem. I've just about tried every directx installation and still nothing. Really not sure what to do? Any suggestions at all? I have tried a decent amount of games on this laptop already and have had no problems with anything else.

Managed to get it to work. Reinstalled a whole bunch of stuff completely on my computer.

Reactions: Fumako
Managed to get it to work. Reinstalled a whole bunch of stuff completely on my computer.
Do....you have any idea which bits were the important ones?
;_;

Do....you have any idea which bits were the important ones?
;_;

Honestly wish I knew exactly what it was, I'm going to guess it was the video card which needed an update. Despite it saying it was up-to-date, i suspect the manual update I did was needed and may have fixed it. And as you had said earlier, it was likely the issue was tied to the graphics card.