• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Darkest Dungeon

FastLikeLightning

Home-Town Zero
Reaction score
Steam
FastLikeLightning
PSN
MarioMan7172
Beowulf Robo Fortune Big Band
images

"What is Darkest Dungeon?"

Darkest Dungeon is many things to many people. To some, a fun way to spend a few hours. To others, the most bullshit strands of code ever written by man since Vistaᵀᴹ. To yet others, a game much more addictive cocaine-laced bath salts.
For a less question-dodgey answer, Darkest Dungeon is a rouge-like-like (Check), turn-based RPG (Check), based on a dark medieval theme (Check), with hand-drawn looking assets (Check), and is hyper difficult (Check). By now, your Indie Game Bingo card should be more than filled out, but Darkest Dungeon is no simple cut-paste fantasy game. It is a crazy-fun, crazy-addictive game about all the strongest people in the land go slowly (Or very quickly) insane.

images

"Wooooooo!"

"What's the story?"

You and about 78,000 other random nobody adventurers come to a place called the Hamlet to search for their and their families rightful belongings, and then become very stressed out and start eating each-others legs. Not a rich lore, but functional for the game.

Darkest3.jpg

"Many people live and die by these 5 buildings and two carriages. But mostly die."

"Alright, I'm sold! Where can I get it? Where?!"

Why, right here, for the low low price of $19.99!

images

"You can exchange digital versions of this paper for digital goods!"

"ewww early access ewwwww"

I understand your skepticism, strawman created for this post, but even in it's current state there is enough content in this game to warrant the price of admission, and it's even decently well polished for it's current state of development.

NOT ANYMORE! Games out for realsies now!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This thread is also somehow a fight with The Collecter.

Last edited:
The game looks pretty kick ass. Charging $9.99 for a soundtrack though? Ugh, think I'll pass on that. I'll have to give this game a go. I don't normally care about early access provided the game is good, and hell if I'm not a sucker Rogue-Likes

It's pretty fun so far, and once you dig into it there are way to control the madness with the right team BUT.... RNG can still screw you over every now and then. It's definitely a game that punishes the unprepared though. I feel like a few skills could use some tweaking, but it's early still so. I stream it every now and then, although I'm pretty sure it's not exactly a game you can just sit and watch. That and I don't talk so... ya!

I'd be in love with this game if it wasn't so ugly.

I'd be in love with this game if it wasn't so ugly.
Yeah, the aesthetic is a bit...ugly. I get the gimm art style, but it'd be a bit nicer to look at with a bit more...well if the art style looked a bit more refined and there was a bit more color and vibrancy, yeah?

I've been playing this game for sometime, it's pretty great. I normally hear about early access being garbage, but this game is actually really fun, even in its current state. Kudos to the devs for that.

Each adventure I depart on gets me tense because I don't know what to expect or how it will go. I like this because it forces me to make careful decisions when deciding on my party and what to bring along for the trip. Speaking of party, the classes you can choose from are pretty cool themselves. Lepers, Jesters, Plague Doctors, and Bounty Hunters just to list a few. Each one has their own strengths and weaknesses, and are pretty versatile in combat.

A rogue-like RPG? That's pretty impressive. I love me a good rogue-like. I played the crap out of Rogue Legacy, Tower of Guns, and recently picked up Delve and Ziggurat, Delve also being early access and also being pretty good, but I have had yet to see a full on RPG. I'll definately have to pick it up sometime :D

Speaking of party, the classes you can choose from are pretty cool themselves.

The classes are probably my favourite part of the game. Not only is each one distinctive in their looks, but they all feel like they serve a purpose in the team that none of the other classes serve. A Highwayman couldn't do what a Vestal could do, a Vestal couldn't do what a Plague Doctor could do, a Plague Doctor couldn't do what a Jester could do, etc.

Reactions: Smarts
I've been watching Northernlion, BaerTaffy, and the Zaibatsu play the game
it looks tight as fuck. I'm really digging a lot of it.
I'm gonna wait for it to be 100% before I bite, but it looks super promising.
I dig the low fantasy aesthetic too. It's very Souls, except even dirtier if that was possible.

I actually really hate the Jester class. It just feels out of place. Needs some skill retooling. LEPER IS MY MAIN MAN! Art style doesn't bug me, Could use a more fluid animations for like walking, but otherwise the theme is fine. It's supposed to be dark and soul-sapping.

I've been thinking about getting this with all the positive hype surrounding it.

Also have the devs said if they're looking to Mignola for inspiration? Because the game's art looks amazing. Also very Hellboy.

Gonna wait until the game is fully implemented. It looks good and I'd like another non-ASCII based roguelike to try and chew through. I've been playing frozen depths and Brogue, they're great but I like what other people have done with the genre.

yo, is there a Hellboy artist on this game? cuz this artwork just screams Hellboy.

Mike Mignola is the Hellboy artist, and nah, he's not working on this.

The artist's name is....*click* *click*...Chris Bourassa! Great range of work too. You can tell they were very deliberate about how they wanted this game to look, and I think they nailed it. Obviously the style is not everyone's cup of tea, but it's not sloppy by any means.

I wasn't able to help fund the original Kickstarter, but I'll definitely give the game a whirl at some point. There's gonna be a flood of crowdfunded projects being released this year, so I might need to start setting up a gaming budget again.

Reactions: Smarts
Yeah, same. So many great crowd funders and just great games in general coming out this year. This game seems to be a good taste of what's to come from the indie scene this year, though :D

I personally love the aesthetic of the game, from the art to the cutout animation to the soundtack.

Oh I also like the game too, it's pretty cool. Wish it was more difficult though, I feel like I can achieve everything by just flinging people at it til it works.

I feel like I can achieve everything by just flinging people at it til it works.

How so? If you're just retreating when things go to Hell, then you're never going to have enough money to keep up with required supplies, or at the very least not enough to upgrade any units. If you're letting people die and/or dissmissing them, then not only will you not have enough money to buy/upgrade shit, but when you reach the latter areas you're fresh from the wagon recruits are going to get mauled by enemies meant for dudes 3 times their levels. If you've managed to think of a way around this, please share it, so I can abuse the hell out of it report it to the devs like a good little tester.

I've... hardly ever abandoned a mission.

Perhaps you are taking underleveled heroes to a mission, or a bad team layout, or you are getting hit really really hard for your offenses against RNGesus.

Basically you can just constantly fire heroes without having to pay for them to get stress relief to complete early missions, get heirlooms, upgrade stuff and get your town in god order. You are both making money this way and making everything in the town much cheaper.

At that point you can easily raise up 2 or 3 teams worth of heroes with good equipment and continue making profit easily even with stress relief involved.

How so? If you're just retreating when things go to Hell, then you're never going to have enough money to keep up with required supplies, or at the very least not enough to upgrade any units. If you're letting people die and/or dissmissing them, then not only will you not have enough money to buy/upgrade shit, but when you reach the latter areas you're fresh from the wagon recruits are going to get mauled by enemies meant for dudes 3 times their levels. If you've managed to think of a way around this, please share it, so I can abuse the hell out of it report it to the devs like a good little tester.
The strategy I have been using is that I have my main squad that I use for missions, then while those guys are de-stressing in the bar or church, I hire level 0 jobbers and make a team out of those guys. I explore with the jobbers until I have found enough money that I've made a profit on the mission, then I abandon the mission, fire all the jobbers, and use the profits to upgrade my main squad. When I first started I was trying to keep every person I recruited stress-free at all times, but playing for just a little bit it quickly becomes clear you don't earn enough money for that, so I started doing the hire-and-fire thing.

It sounds like @Tomo009 has a similar strat but instead of abandoning the missions he just beats them all. What a god. If I have a team of jobbers I can usually only clear the short level 1 missions. If it's longer than short or higher level than 1 I always need to abandon it.

I just prioritise short/medium missions. That is similar to what I've done, I just focus on getting my town upgraded and making profit, before building up a team I actually plan to take further on.

It is a bit harder with the stun nerf and the helion nerf hit me pretty hard, I abused them because they were just so good.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I've been getting my ass kicked in the game. I kinda just went at it with whateve my first time through, trying to not hire what I didn't need.

My recent try, I've keep 2 teams. I have one prioritized for grinding money on long missions. I focuses on getting stuff to reduce the amount of stess they build so I can go long missions for grinding and stuff. I try to complete those long missions for the bonuses, but most of the time I abandon before things get hairy. The other team is my main squad who I have go on shorter missions to complete and I focused making them actually competent. It's been working fairly well, but yeh, keeping funds for 2 squads has been a major chore overall. I somehow have kept afloat, but upgading is coming slowly, and it may be too late to change my strategy with all I've done so far.

I just did a level 3 mission for the first time. I've actually been kinda cruising through the level 1 stuff for a while now but the level 3 one was brutal! Suddenly normal enemies you find in hallways are hitting for 17 damage on non-crits. I can only imagine the difficulty ramps up even more once you get to the level 5 stuff.

Something that's been really helpful is keeping the torch level above 75 as often as possible. I didn't really have a strong understanding of what that mechanic did, but turns out if you mouse over the light level it tells you exactly what buffs/debuffs the current light level is giving you. I was only trying to keep it from being all the way dark before, but having it above 75 means you hit more, enemies hit less, you receive less stress over time, you're surprised less often, you surprise enemies more often, and you scout more often. So that's all really, really good, worth trying to keep the light that high as much as possible.

Added to wishlist. Seems like there's been a pretty good rash of rpg's lately. I've heard excellent things about this game, Lords of Xulima, and Sanctuary Black Edition.

Well, I think until this game gets out of early access I'm going to take a break from it. I beat all the bosses, and while I don't have all the cheevos for getting dudes to level 6, I have most of them, and I'm not super motivated to get the rest. The town's fully upgraded so there's not really a ton else to do.

I did mess around a bit last night with a 3 Grave Robber team since I've read a lot of posts saying that team is good and it's one of the classes I hadn't really used. If you set it up so all 3 of your Grave Robbers can Lunge on the first turn, the team is actually kind of amazing. The damage and crit% of that attack combined with the naturally high speed of Grave Robbers means 1-2 enemies are usually dead before any of them get a chance to act. If you get a surprise on top of that, it's realistic to actually beat the whole enemy team before any of them do anything.

I'm not totally sure who the fourth class on that team should be, though. Ideally the fourth person starts in the front so that everyone else can Lunge, so it needs to be someone who can start in the front but also be effective from further back. I'd like a support class for the last spot on the team but none of the support classes can really do that. I was using a Vestal, but Mace Bash is not really that amazing of a front row move, and if the Vestal got targeted before she moved to the back row she could get hurt pretty bad.

Necroing this thread to let yall know a big update came out this week. The Cove is now accessible and comes with tons of spooky new enemies as well as two new bosses. Comes with a patch that changes a lot of stuff such as: trinkets are improved across the board, retreating has been nerfed (but is still really good), several quality of life enhancements, and much more. Full change log right here: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/the-cove-is-now-live/

Still in early access, still working through my own back catalog, still waiting. Thanks for the update.

I hadn't touched the game since a bit before the houndmaster dropped. I've since lost 20k gold and around 10 characters, 3 of which were max level and the Black Plague has been running rampant around my hamlet. The Swine God and Witch Hag are bitches.

I hadn't touched the game since a bit before the houndmaster dropped. I've since lost 20k gold and around 10 characters, 3 of which were max level and the Black Plague has been running rampant around my hamlet. The Swine God and Witch Hag are bitches.
What on earth

How

The money or people dying? The money's been drying up as I've been locking in more useful quirks and having to pour out tons of money on med treatments. I seriously don't know why, but my level 5 and 6 characters keep getting the black plague and that shit be expensive to purge. It's a terrible enough disease that I don't want to bring them into a run with a plague doctor to try and remove it in camp.

As for the dying, I had some truly godawful luck vs both the Witch Hag and Swine God. Swine God got a couple of crits, put multiple characters on death's door, then they died to Wilbur before i could run. Second run against him, killed the Swine God though I lost a character in the process. The rest of the team managed a truly impressive run against Wilbur. A hellion got chain stunned by Wilbur until her stun resist buff was at 100%. The combat took so long that a character hit 100 stress, got an Abusive. They then pushed another character to affliction with Paranoid. The Witch Hag had similarly bad luck as suddenly the entire team couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and then my Occultist always putting bleed on my own party while healing for low single digits.

Oh I had the same problem on the Swine King, he brought Coolcab to death's door and Wilbur yelled at him next turn and killed him.

I would never bring a support specced Occultist on a boss run, basically for that exact reason. I barely like using them for missions at all honestly.

It's not really that expensive to remove diseases is it? I have the Medical Ward fully upgraded so maybe that's why. I thought it only cost 750. I haven't used the lock-in-positive-traits thing very much, Unholy/Eldritch/Beat/etc Hater is the only one I'll lock.

Depends on the character level. I forget what the disease removal is, but locking is over 1k each. And I wasn't kidding on how much disease I've had to remove. In the last 7 in-game weeks, I've had to remove 20 diseases.

As for Occultist healing, I generally only do that if my team includes Hellion, Grave Robber, and/or Plague Doctor for boss runs. I actually really like that quartet for Weald runs as the Grave Robber adds bleed resist debuffs for the doc and hellion while the occultist's bonus vs eldritch really helps against plague spitters and the like.

Oh hey, a topic about this. sweet. One of my fave team combos is Hellion, Highway man, Ocultist, and the Healer (forgot her class name). Everyone can pretty much hit any area on the enemy team, so bodies don't hinder me. And then Buffs on Grapeshot make his wave clear just great. Like this example:
11986494_882648268437068_2181591023830426155_n.jpg

Was going about 13~29 damage per critter, and crits are lovely.

If my computer was working, I'd tell you all my skills on them..

Now, the only team I run for the new boss, that looks like a pile of flesh, I replaced the Highwayman with the Hound Master dude, as I buff his dog up and use the "Hit all" skill. does low damage, but the HP bar counts for all 4 slots, so it adds up, and it'll give Bleed to them all. Makes the fight a bit easier to manage.

Patch notes for yesterday.
Continued fixes and tweaks to Tuesday's game update!
  • Fix to Plague Doctor affliction crash
  • Fix to random target not passing properly
  • Cannon AI Fix for B and C
  • Fix quest generation to guarantee 1 1 explore even if there is no convertible quests.
  • Making the "click map to advance" out of room announcement banner happen in the background.
  • Fixes to the graveyard always bringing up the very first dead character clicked on in the character panel.
  • Coming out of raid crash fix.
  • Updated siren to immediately switch sides when crit or deaths door happens.
  • cove quirks
  • caretaker goals: corrected Siren and Drowned Crew names
  • Thrall/Corpse tooltip corrected
  • Siren control progression adjusted
  • Siren stun resist increased slightly for L3/L5
  • Cove trap debuff duration adjusted upwards
  • Fixed the ability to spam click during hero act outs giving out multiple heals
  • Shambler should no longer ambush camping.
  • Conditional mash ambushes now specify can_be_ambush.
  • Removed unclean giants test ambush in difficulty 2 and 4 quests.
  • Removing guard when the guarding actor gets stunned.
  • health target desire now takes ratio into consideration instead of pure hp
  • added ghouls to cove

crap, the Cove's out? Gah I really need to actually buy this game to keep it proper updated... and my computer back online x,x

The game is officially released as of today, they've also announced a free expansion with a new class later on. Man, I am not looking forward to whatever we're going to find in the Darkest Dungeon.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
So I stopped playing for a little while, about when the Man-at-Arms dropped, but hoo-wee is this pulling me back in. I started a new campaign (Only 10 weeks in, but still haven't gotten anyone killed!), and I accordance with the laws of the universe, 6 people ending up at 100 stress (The Collecter is a bitch), 0 virtuous rolls.

I just keep getting Vestals with Nymphomania. It's the damndest thing.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper