• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Dealing with Undizzy burst

digereedoodah

duwub duwub dibidi dah
Reaction score
Steam
digereedoodah
Painwheel Squigly Eliza
Not sure if this could be considered "beginner" stuff but whatever.

I've been practising resets the last couple of days, and in the few cases where I'm actually able to do a couple of them I always trigger the Undizzy burst. The stuff I'm doing isn't super long (just a modified version of Painwheel's standard BnB), especially compared to the more advanced stuff I see, but I don't see the pros constantly triggering the undizzy so I figured it must be something that I'm doing.

How do you guys and gals deal with undizzy bursts? Is there a way to somehow bait them (since they trigger on hit, unlike the IPS burst)? Am I not resetting enough (most of my resets happen after around 2.5k~3k damage)?

Any advice would be helpful.

First of all, I hope this is an undizzy burst. The undizzy burst is green. The burst your getting might be red in which case that is an Infinite prevention burst. Now if it is a green burst, optimal combos usually use your undizzy 225-235/240 which can be seen from attack data or just the green bar. After that people use one last chain until the enemy can burst. If you set your undizzy to 100%, and start a combo, you'll see that you can do two chains before the next one activates undizzy.

Yes you can bait bursts, or keep resetting them at full undizzy until you judge that you can super and finish them off. Painwheel and Cerebella can armor through bursts, but its is not a bait. They are still at a disadvantage though. Keep in mind the enemy can alpha counter(tag in other character during burst).

For example. Take a painwheel standard bnb cr.lk, cr.mk, cr.hp, L buer, fc(chain 1) -> j.lk (chain 2)->cr.mk, cr.hp(chain 3. Enemy can burst here).

If you do a reset, as soon as your combo ends, the undizzy starts to disappear.
So, if your reset is really tight, they'll keep most of the drama meter.

-Even if you reset at Maximum undizzy, you still get 2 chains before the burst.
So, with painwheel, say you reset with an overhead jLK, you can still do jLK, cLK cMK sHP, fly, jLK, cLK cMK sHP super or whatever.

How to get around undizzy?

-Slower resets. The more time there is between your combo ending, and the next hit (the reset) the more undizzy will have faded.
-Reset earlier in the combo, before undizzy builds.
-Do a burst bait, Burst immediately removes undizzy.
-Just let it happen, Do a combo to max undizzy, and then do resets from there or just finish with super-> DHC if you can kill.

Thanks for answering! Yea it is definitely the green burst. And I didn't know about the 2 chain thing so that's something I'll keep in mind.

And Dagwood maybe the problem is that all of the resets I've been doing have been aerial throws, so the combo resets but my opponent never actually gets to neutral before I start the combo back up again.

So when doing resets without throws, how can you tell where in the combo is a good spot to reset? Often if I drop the combo to try to reset the opponent just blocks my next hit, so I'm guessing whatever I'm doing isn't a good reset or is too predictable (or both). Is the frame data relevant to which moves make better resets than others, or is it more of a meta thing, in trying to throw off the opponent?

I will say that undizzy drains faster the less it has, but you release your grip and you lose more if it your reset fails.

So when doing resets without throws, how can you tell where in the combo is a good spot to reset? Often if I drop the combo to try to reset the opponent just blocks my next hit, so I'm guessing whatever I'm doing isn't a good reset or is too predictable (or both). Is the frame data relevant to which moves make better resets than others, or is it more of a meta thing, in trying to throw off the opponent?

You generally want to reset early and often, until you'll kill with a full combo from the next hit. Learning to judge how much health and off what hits you can kill from is something that you'll pick up as you continue to play the game. Resets are generally some kind of mixup (high, low, throw, crossup, etc) . The general idea is to put your opponent into a situation where they have to make a guess and commit to it, and to either have enough options to pick from that it's hard to guess right (such as when Filia restands midscreen), or do a reset that's really fast, unexpected, and hard to react to (Eliza's s.MP crossunder). As you learn more resets and get more comfortable doing them, you'll get a feel for when the right time to use what reset is. You'll learn the meta of resets and which ones specific players fall for more as you gain experience in the game. There aren't really any solid rules to give aside from the aforementioned reset early and reset often, though. It just takes time.