• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Devil May Cry Thread

mooncakes

Reaction score
PSN
mooncakess
Parasoul
Vergil confirmed for DMC4 Special Edition

33nf41i.jpg

(the last 10 sec of the video is the most important part..)

Last edited:
I am surprised I am finding myself hyped for DMC but they have added manual lock on so that does make me interested in it.

Also Devil may cry 4 with Vergil, gaaahhh oh my god, that is holy crap this is going to be good.

I guess they need to say what the features are since people wouldn't want to have the purchase the dlc again and the lack of manual lock on was one of the major complaints in the original version , so highlighting that point was probably a significant thing.

Although with those point, lock on can be seen in video so there is not much point to highlight it and definitive version should also by itself mean it comes with everything the previous game had.

I like DmC for what it is (A game that would have worked a lot better with a different title and original characters) but a DMC4 Special Edition with the real Vergil? Oh fuck yeah.

DMC isn’t really story-heavy, but I hope they finally explain the connection between Vergil and Nero. Last time I looked Vergil was supposed to be his dad or something.

But anyways, I hope they actually make new levels too, that would be rad.

Given it would be made it is just a special edition I am only expecting Vergil as a third playable character you can choose instead of dante or nero, so if they do add more levels than I am just pleased with that in of itself.

WHAT. I thought the old games were dead! If I end up getting a PS4, that will be a day one purchase.

Also, the URL shown at the end hasn't been set up yet - it goes to a 404 page when I try to access it.

Reactions: Cybermanworf
So this was a suprrise, I heard about these two things at work.
I was one of the people who liked DmC: Devil May Cry, it was pretty good, had some decent ideas, but it still couldn't hold a candle to DMC 3 or the others, I could tell. I'd replay it.
Not sure if I'd get the special edition, I got it day one so I got the Vergil DLC (Which was also aggressively decent)

But fucking DMC 4 WITH VERGIL?
I never got to play DMC 4 so this is like the perfect deal.
Though sadly I doubt he'll have much story to him, just there for... reasons.
Since Vergil became Nelo Angelo in DMC 1, then died, and before anyone could recover him, he was blown up on the island, not only that, but parts of Nelo Angelo's corpse were used to make angels in DMC 4.
That's about as fucking dead as you can get.

So I'm kinda curious as to their explanation for Vergil in DMC 4...if any at all.
I'd be fine if they'd bullshit an explanation for him coming back so they could keep using him in future games.

Dammit I got hyped for a second

I thought it was going to be DMC 1

That's about as fucking dead as you can get.

I could live with the retcon that Nelo Angelo was just a dark manifestation of Vergil, while Mundus sealed the real body away. So Vergil awakened soon after DMC 1 (with the memories of his time as Nelo Angelo) and just took his time until he got back into action. Bonus point if Capcom uses this to explain Nero's origins.

And I don't think they used parts of Nelo Angelo's corpse for the Alto & Bianco Angelo's, the game says they used "fragments". That can mean anything, from a small tip of blood to just a part of his demonic aura. Not just real parts of his dead body.

Reactions: Jutsei
So I'm kinda curious as to their explanation for Vergil in DMC 4...if any at all.
I'd be fine if they'd bullshit an explanation for him coming back so they could keep.

Vergil needs more power, what else is needed?

Partially more serious but still silly answer, Gold orb.

Actual serious answer, I have no frigging clue and any explanation to why vergil is back is fine by me.

That's also a really good explanation. Really, Vergil's a great part of DMC and it's probably a good idea to just keep him around instead of just having him dead.

But guess we'll see, I'm fine with him just sorta being there for the Special Edition in all honesty, but as I said, a story explanation or little extra things for him coming back is fine too.

Though it might take some attention away from Nero, which would bad sad.
But eh, what can you do?

Given that in the trailer they used a old voice clip for vergil do you think they are just gonna reuse the sound clips or are they gonna bring back vergils's voice actor for this, I would normally expect them to bring back the actor but then capcom unfortunately has a reputation of being lazy in some regards even though I still enjoy their stuff.

DMC4SE site is up, but the only thing it does right now is show the teaser.

Okay, some news has been given out regarding DmCDE since the temporary SrsMode scandal. Basically, it got moved up a week release-wise, so it's now coming out on March 10th. Mu Also, we got some 60 FPS gameplay footage scattered across various YT channels. In a GameSpot vid focusing on Vergil, it showed that Hardcore Mode shows up on the main difficulty screen and that Must Style mode is indeed a toggle like Hardcore mode.

I was referring to the temporary removal of OT.

Still wondering when we're gonna get info on DMC4SE.

EDIT: Apparently, more of DMC4SE will be shown off in June. Something tells me that it ain't gonna be released until sometime next year.

Last edited:
Well, we got a boatload of info on DMC4SE from leaks of the latest Famitsu magazine. Here's the lowdown:

• Not only is Vergil playable, but Trish and Lady (in a series first) are also playable. Each has their own separate campaign with a new intro and ending (Trish and Lady share a campaign), but they can be selected in the main missions once their personal stories are cleared.
  • PC version of DMC4 is being used as the basis for SE. As such, every version of the game will have its improvements, including Legendary Dark Knight mode.
  • First-print Japanese copies of the game will include additional alternate costumes for Lady and Trish. I can only assume that the boys will be getting their own costumes as well.
  • The game itself is about 90% done. Planned release date for consoles is June 18th, but a PC version is confirmed for release on the 24th of June.
  • The game will be a budget title at 4,490 yen (which is about 40 dollars).
As for the Japanese voice cast, Nero is Kaito Ishikawa, Dante is Toshiyuki Morikawa (reprising his role from MvC3), Vergil is Hiroaki Hirata (also reprising his role from Mahvel 3), Lady is Fumiko Orikasa (Rukia from Bleach and Japanese Chun-Li from Mahvel 3), and Trish is Atsuko Tanaka (reprising her role from Mahvel 3).

Last edited:
Woah woah woah, Capcom you feeling good? You actually putting work in a re-release?

I really expected Vergil in Nero/Dante campaign and nothing else at best.

I'm helluva OK with this.

Hell if they are putting this much work in DMC4SE, this bodes well for a REAL DMC5.

Reactions: North888
YO.
YO.
YOYOYOYOYOYOYOY
I 'm so glad I missed DMC 4 back in 2008, because now I get this sick ass new edition with FIVE(!) playable characters.
Took them long enough for Lady, goddamn.

YO.
YO.
YOYOYOYOYOYOYOY
I 'm so glad I missed DMC 4 back in 2008, because now I get this sick ass new edition with FIVE(!) playable characters.
Took them long enough for Lady, goddamn.
5?!
When did they confirm 5? Is Trish playable now, too? Who are the other 2?
Dante, Nero, Vergil, and who?

EDIT: NVM, read up a bit. ignore the idiot.

HOLY FUCK, LADY
real talk, I think she should've been the DMC rep for UMVC3 instead of Vergil
This is a great <better?> compromise tho

She was in Project X Zone...if that crud fest amounts for anything?

Some new info from Capcom:

• Vergil's gameplay will be based mostly off of his DMC3SE version with some tricks from DmC's version, including the ability to teleport using his Summoned Swords. A new Concentration gauge rewards patient play and increases his damage the better he fights. He can be played on every mission in the game.
  • Trish ditches the traditional weapon switching for the multiple forms of Sparda, her twin pistols, and her fists and feet. No mention is made of her playable appearances in other games, so I'm assuming that she's getting an entirely new moveset. She's only playable on Dante's missions.
  • Lady focuses heavily on gunplay, with Kalina Ann being usable not only as a weapon, but a movement tool similar to the Devil Bringer. She's only playable on Nero's missions.
Other new things confirmed include alternate costumes that are visible during cutscenes and a digital release. No word on if there's gonna be a disc version or full dual audio in the American version.

EDIT: Here's a pic of Vergil's UI in DMC4SE from the European PlayStation blog:

16872512242_563ae99f87.jpg

Last edited:
Are there gonna be any new stages? I hope they don't just make it the same 5 places between Dante and Nero like it was before :(

Here are pics of Trish and Lady's UIs:

l-a-t_ss02_pop.jpg

l-a-t_ss01_pop.jpg

Capcom's released some new info on how Vergil will play in DMC4SE. He retains all of his weapons from his last playable appearance, including the ability to have different DT forms based on which weapon he has equipped. Similarly to Dante, some of his attacks (like Stinger and Lunar Phase) are altered into more powerful versions whe used in Devil Trigger, which are only amped up more when they're upgraded. His Concentration mechanic has also been better explained: his new Concentration meter (which is split into 3 levels) can be charged up by dodging attacks and hitting enemies. The higher the Concentration meter climbs, the more damage and hits Vergil deals with his attacks. Some attacks can only be used at level 3 focus. However, needless running, missing attacks and taking damage will drain the focus meter, so it's important to use Vergil's teleportation abilities to avoid attack and get closer to enemies at the same time. Vergil's page on the website also has several new pictures illustrating his weapons and skills.

In other news, a disc release outside of Japan has been deconfirmed, with Capcom saying that it was "too complicated" to get a disc release set up outside of Japan. If you really want a disc version, Capcom-Unity's Greg Moore recommends importing from Japan, especially since it will have both Japanese and English voice acting. Jury's still out on English subtitles, however. Personally, this sounds kinda fishy, since DmC Definitive Edition got a physical release everywhere just a couple of weeks ago.

Also, a couple of minor gameplay adjustments will be made to DMC4SE, including the ability to set up auto-save (so the game saves automatically after every cleared mission) and faster Red Orb and Proud Soul gain than in regular DMC4.

I get that they're trying to get back DMC3 nostalgia, but why the hell would Vergil still have force edge style? Dante took that sword. Beowulf is cool, but why can't Vergil have new toys?

Also Vergil gameplay:

Seems like they're doing Legendary Dark Knight mode and/or showing off that they can throw in more enemies with the new generation.

Looks like Vergil has
  • air stinger (really shit range)
  • million stab
  • Judgement cuts
    • are a charge move that has a just frame for something idk.
    • Can be done in air
    • The player tried showing off 2 slashes into judgement cut, but got parried
  • spiral swords that don't cost DT or focus? (tho it looks like it's Dev mode set to infinite DT)
    • can rain down from the sky in a circle
    • can also have swords circling enemies and Vergil at the same time, AND STILL BE FIRING SUMMONED SWORDS
    • Some move where Vergil holds his palm up, and a summoned sword starts spinning above it. No idea what it does but he jumped from SS to SSS after doing it. Also looks like a charge move.
  • focus meter drains on whiffed attacks
  • a cool but stupidly overpowered move that clears the entire screen of enemies. Has a long charge up time. Probably requires DT and possibly high amounts of focus. (Edit: I guess it's like a more evolved, cooler looking version of the continuous judgement cuts from DMC3's last boss fight)
  • They also showed hella teleporting and shit just dies for some reason. Probably DT rapid slash.
  • a delayed input combo with force edge that leads into a Crazy Combo where he runs forward and goes into a slashing frenzy.

Last edited:
Found a pair of videos from tonight''s DMC4SE stream. They show off Vergil gameplay in pretty minute detail.

Kinda disappointing they didnt have someone more experienced with dmc3 vergil to help explain the differences. Good coverage, but certain things that the player didnt know (taunts at different style ratings, trick up, rapid slash was a dmc3 move, berial's attack patterns...) kinda made it painful to watch.

Also in the previous japanese stream they had vergil spinning a spiral sword in his palm, but i didn't see that in his move list.

I wouldn't be surprised if that spinning summoned sword thing turns out to be a damaging taunt. After all, one of his others sheathes Yamato, which also has an effect on gameplay at high concentration.

and it's on steam for 30 bucks. Kinda wish that they had a special deal for those who already got the game, but probably not gonna happen cuz capcom needs money.