• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Diary of an Undead Scrub

Necrosquelch

Dead Head
Reaction score
Steam
corporalnoiz
PSN
Necrosquelch
XBL
Necrosquelch
Ms. Fortune Eliza Painwheel
Hey, there! I'm Necrosquelch, Necro for short, and like many of you I'm looking to improve my game. It's worth mentioning that this isn't the first time I've played Skullgirls(I played fairly regularly about a year and a half ago), but this is the first time I've decided I was going to set aside time and actually get good at it. I came to this conclusion due to a story that you can read on my introduction here since I refuse to retype it, but regardless of that I don't simply intend to improve. I'd eventually like to fight in and win tournaments and I intend to accomplish that just as much as I intend to graduate college. Similar to how I'm in the early stages of my college career with no professional experience I'm at absolute ground zero in fighting games without ever having tried anything too advanced in the past.

I've chosen Miss Fortune as my main due to her aggressive play style and just because she's one of my favorite characters as characters alone. I like the look of her moveset, I'm a big fan of her overall design, her abilities are pretty unique, and of course she's a Grade A goofball. Eliza follows up as my second choice for similar reasons, though I'm having trouble deciding on a third. I'd originally stated that I'd make my third character Beowulf, but as I think of it more and more I'd like to have a Scare Squad of sorts; characters with more morbid themes and abilities attract me. That said, Valentine, Double, and Painwheel are the three I'm stuck between(even though I'm well aware of Painwheel's stance as a popularly low-tier character, but frankly getting good with a low-tier character sounds like an interesting challenge in itself).

I've only started practicing and running drills over the past three days between schoolwork and my job and what I've noticed is my focus on combos. I'm able to pull off a few combos I've made up on my own multiple times without error as well as some others I've stitched together from threads I've read on here and reddit, Frankenstein style. It'll take a long while before I can really burn them into my muscle memory, though.

I of course acknowledge combos as an important tool, but I feel I may be getting a bit ahead of myself. I'd like to practice effective movement and blocking before I do too much more digging into BnB combos and the like. A 40 hit, high-damaging combo is useless unless you can get to your opponent and get your poke off, right?

Anyway, hopefully through this I'll be able to find some new people to practice and train with and get some tips on how to improve. Hit me up if you ever want to play together! If I'm available it's always welcome!

Got a clip from some fights with the AI on Hard just so you can get an idea of how badly I suck. Something I've noticed on my own is that I tend to get too aggressive in situations where I should be on the defensive and, the more obvious one, my execution is severely subpar. In almost every one of these fights I was attempting to combo into Rekka and I kept fucking it up. Either way, let me know if you find anything prevalent I should be working on.

I watched the first two matches and I don't see any big problems with being too aggressive. Seems like you overwhelmed the bot to me. But there are still things you could work on. The thing I can think of most is landing a hit in the air. You seem to be mashing j.lp a lot in the air. Simply put, when you press a button, you should have a good idea whether it will hit or not. For example, think about this situation. You are standing in front of the enemy and you jump. Now you have 6 normal buttons to press and many different timings during your jump to press them. Pressing j.lp at the apex of your jump may likely whiff, but pressing j.lp when your descending onto double will likely land a hit.

If you really want to know when to be aggressive and when to be blocking, you're going to have to face a real opponent or a harder bot. These guys seem to let you jump in on them free.

A simple rekka combo : s.lp, s.mp, s.mk, s.hk, 3x rekka, super . No need to mash with this combo. No need to rush either. Each of the normals let you do multiple hits letting you take your time with inputting the next button.

Edit: oh yeah. Sup and welcome!

@Kyugetsuki Yeah, like ever beginner I have a mashing problem. Part of the reason I'm fighting bots in the first place is in the interest of fixing that before even attempting quick matches just yet. I hear what you're saying, though. If I really want to learn I should bump it to Ridiculous or Nightmare.

Thanks for the tip as well! Most of the combos I had practiced were fairly complicated for me and I couldn't think clearly enough in the fight to so much as attempt them. I'll try applying it later and hell, I may do some quick matches just to see where I stand.

It may sound daunting, but I totally recommend learning a midscreen combo, or a midscreen BnB. This thread is a great place to start. I know you stressed wanting to learn movement and neutral, but trust me, you are STILL going to get hit a lot despite this training. Learn a full combo with all of your characters that you play, and that way you can level the playing field vs. people your skill level + CPUs.

Just to clear some misconceptions - Painwheel is not considered a low tier character, and no character is classified as such in SG. You could make the claim for Big Band, Squigly, and Filia as mid tier characters, but SG has 0 weak or unviable characters (With the exception of Robo as she currently is, but post-beta patch Robo is MUCH stronger). I like to say that SG has no bad characters, just bad teams. Play whatever you want for your 3rd character - my advice would be to just play what you consider the most fun and/or cool to play/watch!

@Hammerschmidt Unless I end up really, really disliking her play when I get around to her I'm pretty set on having Painwheel as my third, so we'll see how that goes. And I'll take your advice on learning a BnB. I've only learned seven moves of the one that I'm currently trying to commit to memory and I'm not even consistent with it yet, so I'll definitely need some time on that.

Reactions: Nine
(With the exception of Robo as she currently is, but post-beta patch Robo is MUCH stronger).
even this one turned out to be exceptionally effective in the hands of a good player (sonicfox, liam, mpgame and some others)

Reactions: Nine