• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Feedback?? Making Final Retail/2nd Encore Squigs Video Guide

Nuuance

Level 51 Pastrymancer
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Steam
Nuuance
Squigly Eliza
For input, PLEASE don't put what's already here. I want disagreements or stuff I've missed

So finally decided to make a fully voiced guide & started gathering/compiling info a couple days ago. So far I'm 1/3 done gathering hard info. Next I'll have to write the script, then record, then of course edit. Hopefully it should be out in time right when final retail drops...whenever that is (any dates?) Hoping to make it only 30 mins if I can. I'll be streamlining the best I can but including tiny & vital info still.

So far I'll be covering:
- general overview of pros/cons
- movement
- ground normals
- air normals
- charging/canceling
- special moves & throws
- supers
- solo vs team
- neutral game
- resets/mixups
- combos
- sample matches w/commentary winning & losing

Any ideas you think I need to know/might miss?

----------------------------------------
Beginning of Squigs Info --- Last Update: 6-9-15
NOT EXACT SCRIPT. Just Vital Info.
----------------------------------------

Pros:
--> Master hit-Confirmer
--> very good point character. Perfect Team character.
--> DHCs allow for impossible pickups from supers (i.e. Filia/Double comboing after Fenrir @0:19/Swag-Wagon @1:58) Even Filia's level 3 from midscreen.
--> bnb damage through the roof charged or uncharged
--> All-around GREAT team player (chord for easy tags, SBO for safety, etc)
--> combo flexibility, very straightforward A,B,C structure
--> can reset bnb ANYWHERE
--> best double-jump in game
--> All throws lethal if prepared
--> virtually ANY move can be safe

Cons:
--> tag-in is ATROCIOUS. YUCK
--> NO. You don't understand...tag-in...is REALLLY BAD. smh
--> bad vs. constant pressure
--> situationally, meter needed often to defend comfortably
--> horrible anti-air game (w/out meter)
--> practically dead if in corner
--> requires much patience
--> charging & canceling not for everyone
--> easy to get caught-up in constantly charging
--> HARD to get in vs. good push/Blockers. Live & die by divekicks

Movement:

--> BackDash: good just for distance. Use other moves instead to create distance or charge (more on that later)
--> Forward dash: good enough for followups though not the best. Slight delay before dashing.
--> Charge-walking: faster than walking, but you much cancel in time to avoid needless damage. Not the safest up-close. But good for some moves. Like Dp & liver-mortis/one-inch-punch. Doesn't matter which charge you use to walk, but typically you want to use P-charge...or dragons breath. (Other is serpents tail).
--> Jumping: great for patient players, minute movement for divekick options. Super jumps go super Damnn high. Don't need to use dash jumps but possible. Using a number of normals like j.hp or j.lk or great for closing in but more on that later. Very blazblue/anime jump-styled type character. However whereas anime fighters have double jump and dash with it. Squigs only has double jump. Mike z essentially made the game so majority of characters exclusively either have an air dash OR extra jump, but not both. The primary & most popular exception to that is Valentine. But perhaps more On her another time.

Ground Normals:

--> s.lp: Squigs fastest normal. 2 hits that chain into each other. USE FOR: Typically want to use this near end of a combo. Primarily used for connecting combos or linking via seria canceling. NOT FOR: (typically) beginning of a combo . Doesn't work against crouch-stunned/crouching characters like double, Val, filia...
--> c.lp: slowest light normal...disjointed hitbox so great situationally. USE FOR: stuffing attacks which hitboxes don't extent past yours. Some supers too...but careful, slow startup. NOT FOR: any combos...no seriously...do not use this at all.
--> s.lk: USE FOR: easy, predictable re-stands. Especially of ground & air throws. Most definitely. IPS leftovers...NOT FOR: neutral or regular combos.
--> c.lk: one of my favorite moved from squigly. You'll notice it goes BOTH ways. So good for those occasionally cheeky peacock side-switches & assist-sandwhich situations. USE FOR: beginning of combos. This is THE standard combo starter. Use it. Also seria canceling if they're crouching. After arpeggio, GREAT for catching people whether blocking or not for followups. Both sides covered for ground-teching foes. NOT FOR: the end of combos, because you're supposed to have used it already.
--> s.mp: fairly slow & not a good neutral move, but wonderful situationally. USE FOR: combo filler. After optimization sin beginning, use this. End of combos. For standing characters. Also first hit pulls towards you. Canceled it makes for good mixups/resets & conversions. NOT FOR: neutral or trying to trade with it on the ground. Beginning of combos.
--> c.mp: another relatively slow move. Damage-wise, inferior to c.mk too. USE FOR: OTG/knockdown people when IPS warrants it or c.mk was already used. After Daisy pusher in some instances. Trying to save OTG after gravedigger, etc. NOT FOR: non-situational combos in general or neutral.
--> s.mk: one of Squigs most normal moves. Nothing too special except one thing: being a pseudo-launcher. USE FOR: launcher when opponent is in the air & you don't want to use s.hk because of various s.mk's hitbox is better. NOT FOR: neutral or combos at all. Most-likely you'll NEVER see this move used. After tricky restands (accidentally re-launch)
--> c.mk: Squigs best poke & wonderful optimized combo fillers. Only 1 frame slower than s.mk, but so much better. Also can catch people from air saving OTG. Also beginning of expected burst baits for damage. USE FOR: beginning of combos and charged seria combos. Also confirming into c.hp for pressure or full combo. NOT FOR: ...honestly...one of the best normals. Use for whatever. Even end of combos.
--> s.hp: part of what allows Squigs to do such great damage in addition to seria cancels. ALWAYS want to do both hits unless the second might out them out of range. In that case, using chord after 1 is fine. Stance cancels into everything except s.hk or s.fhp(?) USE FOR: combo optimization. Squeeze in as many as you can early. Easy counter-hits. Ending chains to non-charge seria cancel into s.lp/c.lk. NOT FOR: don't use for neutral :/ or end of block-strings. Easy to push-block. but otherwise, great for combos.
--> c.hp: amazing command normal. Almost special-move tier. Disjointed hitbox. The range is incredibleee. Actually counts as a low too. Treat this move like a projectile & just "throw it out" to cancel for later. USE FOR: confirming, despite scaling. End of combos. Assists. One of the best assists in the game. Burst baiting too. Also restands, on first kd & is chordable (On 2nd however, character falls back down to ground). Fortune w/head off & catching assists to double-snap :) meaty on wake up, which I rarely use, but is wonderful for when dealing w/DP'ing/invincible moves. NOT FOR: cannnn use in neutral, but don't particularly see it much unless used as a follow-up. Beginning of combos. Scales HEAVILY.
--> s.fhp: squigly's only ground-based overhead. Also has disjointed hitbox, but leviathans head pokes out. Not all characters have this, but Squigs does. Used to come out incredibly slow, but now has been sped up so it chains from all of squigs' mediums. Actually hits farther than you'd think. USE FOR: unorthodox, but fairly solid overhead lockdown Assist. Mixups/resets after light attacks. Use with seria charge -- great for fooling into Daisy pusher last minute NOT FOR: neutral at all. Chain into this only. And again, not beginning of combos.
--> s.hk: long startup & standard launcher. Can not stance cancel into this at all, so don't try. Has very long blockstun so it's quite forgiving & can frame-trap into a number of moves. USE FOR: launching & squeezing in at the end of counter-hit combos to get another air chain. NOT FOR: anti-airs. Might look good but honestly it's far too slow & not incredibly dependable. Also might hit opponents up too high if it does connect...and not allow followups.
--> c.hk: standard sweep. High damage in one-hit for non-OTG KD & used to be used as burst bait in the past because of variety, but mike changed it so sweeps couldn't be used for valid baits. USE FOR: getting space for a charge or in general. Can use at end of combos optionally if you need space bad. NOT FOR: Anything besides end of a combo. Don't use as regular strategy. NOTE: However, it's better to just use c.mk. Much better to get a semi-full combo then lose out on free damage. Just save it for the end.

Air Normals:

--> j.lp: A seemingly innocuous jumping attack with a terrible hitbox, but GREAT for very specific situations. USE FOR: instant overhead. After divekick, use to lock-down opponent to ground & go from there...to other side or divekick > mixup/throws. Optimal damage on combos if able for first jump chains. NOT FOR: air to air. Do NOT use this for that. Otherwise...normal jump-normal.
--> j.lk: one of Squigs best air normals ever & one of the best non-h.normals in the game. Hitbox on this is HUHEEEE. Can pop off at multiple times in air & can chain into each other(?) USE FOR: 90% the time whenever you're jumping. Help jumping away. Best for air-to-air & catches many people because it comes out so fast (like parasol). IPS leftovers. Use to fully confirm/convert NOT FOR: Very little you can't use for. Even good for air to ground. Spam the hell out this thing.
--> j.mp: a very cool-looking move, but one where visuals deceive in relation to actual hitbox. now the effectiveness of this move is upto to you and depends largely on play style. Many squigs will never use this move & understandably so, but there's a special thing this move does that not many others do. USE FOR: cross-ups & "double cross-ups." Me personally, I love using it to stop momentum in the air from an expected path, then execute a divekick to punish. Will catch many off guard. Of course there's the double-cross up mountlover noted originally. Another HUGE thing it's great for is air burst baits. This thing is NEVER expected. Get them honest first, THEN try it the 2nd/3rd time ;) NOT FOR: 99% of combos or out-of-corner-scenarios. Air-to-air. May look cool, but it's not the move you wanna be using.
---> j.mk: a 4 hit multi-hit move connecting if the first hit makes contact. A fairly standard move. USE FOR: Cross-ups if setup right & great for foes constantly push-blocking your divekicks. Your bnb air chain starter & con-joiner. You WILL use this as squigly. NOT FOR: typical jump-in. Scales hits so be careful & only use one hit for cross-ups. Not very good as an air-to-air either...
--> j.hp: one of squigly's best, but also most dangerous moves if used carelessly. Squigs doesn't have many dependable close-in options, so this extreme move foots the bill w/a small tip. That's to say it does fairly well, but has a bad weakness: hurtbox/hitbox completely overlap. Means You can be thrown from across screen. Also doesn't hit crouching enemies aside from bb. Cancel w/divekicks to throw off opponent & punish. USE FOR: pre-emptively closing the gap or punishing via counterhit. Confirming closer to target with SBO or c.mk. Ending certain air combos for tricky resets. NOT FOR: zoning. You can't indiscriminately throw this out. You'll pay for it. End of most combos concerning damage.
--> j.hk: A semi-slow, but incredibly effective poke from mid-air. Lasts long due to many active frames & most importantly gives you time to think about what to do next. I personally like throwing it out & cancelling into divekicks since Majority of characters can't do much after air j.hk. Contratily though, squigs can divekick after, so surprising people with H Gravediggers is always a fun (and viable) thing to do. USE FOR: Restands near the end of combos. Poking grounded targets or foes lower than you. Can always cancel w/divekick. NOT FOR: Typical air-to-anything poke. Jump-in. Scaling can take 500-1k+ damage away from a combo. don't do it if you don't have to.
--> j.hp: A key move necessary to properly learn to master squigs. Only as good as you know how to use it. Incredibly long-reach, but pure-orange hitbox, trading with anything or getting flat-out-beat by it if challenged. When it lands or is blocked, the stun will allow for partial charge via buffering upon landing. USE FOR: Pre-emptively keeping people on the ground or knocking them out the air. Painwheel being just 1 primary example. Best used when enemy is lower than you on screen. Closing distance (when not dealing w/anti-airish attacks). Peacock a good example for that. Sometimes good to use at the end of combos for reset purposes NOT FOR: "zoning" or just throwing out to get people off you.

Throws:

-->Ground Throw: reaches fairly far & seems just right for Squigs. Gives you a bunch of space if you need to, but much better as with c.hk just to use it to get a combo if you can. USE FOR: combos via charged centerstage for wall bounce and good 5k(?) combo. Also charged chord world with all except Val/fortune I think? And of course a great option for in the corner. Can use meter w/SBO but unless special reason, don't use meter for that NOT FOR: constant resets. It will get mashed out and it scales 50% so use it occasionally.
-->Air Throw: from a reasonable height, you can pick this up w/L(?)/M divekick. Use s.lk~s.lk for restand & I think other normals can be used with it too. But since scaling is already in effect, s.lk is fine. USE FOR: anti-air. Squigs options for air-happy players is limited, so you might have to meet them in the air yourself. DEFINITELY use on characters with no air-super. Screw with them & use 50/50s in the air. NOT FOR: resets on characters with air supers. They might mash out. But overall, to be frank, use it when conditions are good. If you can use j.lk or any other normal to predictably catch someone, sure, but this is fairly solid & you can always try to reset later.

Charging:

--> all lights are safe as they are. Mediums benefit from normal canceling for the most part. Heavy hits you'll want to cancel on block no-matter what or seria cancel into another strong if not worried about
Push-blocking, reversal or PBGC.
--> charging takes 60 frames, which is 1 second & all charging is cumulative, meaning you can stop halfway & the next time you charge, you've only half as much to charge.
--> WHILE charging, you're in counter hit so be careful. Need to press a button & hold back to block. There's no "recovery" from canceling but your reaction time might be slower than you expect so it more than makes up for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dime
If you want sample matches where Squigly does work, check out Fuzzy Snugs vs WorldJem at last year's UFGTX. That set was bonkers.

When you go through Solos and Teams just make sure you highlight assists that are really good for squigs, but you probably know that already.

You should post a script draft or something when you have that so people can point out things they find to be questionable or missing

You should post a script draft or something when you have that so people can point out things they find to be questionable or missing
Good idea actually. I'll put Up what I have in a bit & update it under the OP

@Dolfinh could you link me? Can't find them. Links specifically :) also cob breaker can't find fuzzy snugs stuff anyone know?

Last edited:
I just want to say that even streamlined covering the things you want to cover is probably going to take more than 30 minutes and you should definitely not sacrifice information for the sake of time as it's easy to timestamp sections for navigating a video guide. If I recall correctly the old Squigly video guide that gets recommended is over 2 hours, not saying go for that, just don't feel the need to cut things for time.

I just want to say that even streamlined covering the things you want to cover is probably going to take more than 30 minutes and you should definitely not sacrifice information for the sake of time as it's easy to timestamp sections for navigating a video guide. If I recall correctly the old Squigly video guide that gets recommended is over 2 hours, not saying go for that, just don't feel the need to cut things for time.
I understand what you mean, however, despite how invaluable mountlover's guide was...(watched the ENTIRE thing 3 times btw)
1) half the length was due to just him trying to set up and re-do demonstration stuff in training mode.
2) Also, he had no script. Maybe a light outline, but no script.
3) A bit repetitive/redundant in some areas.

I'm not sacrificing any info in the guide because I want people to know everything, however, I will literally be keep things very concise. Not to be mistaken with abbreviated ;) I'm going to have everything pre-recorded and a script to be read word for word. But mind you I won't ramble...so relatively speaking, I might go over things a bit quicker than you expect, but thats what the vids for, as a reference.

At the moment, I'm just gathering the info, then going to videofy it after :) The vid will be as long as it's gonna be, however, I'm going to trryyyyy to aim for 30 mins lol.

@alexpi truth -_- lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Aden and Dime
;_; I'm not tagged as a squigly player ;_; I can help.

;_; I'm not tagged as a squigly player ;_; I can help.
lol i didnt know you were a really good squigly player haha..any suggestions then...

lol i didnt know you were a really good squigly player haha..any suggestions then...

I said I was a squigly player, good is debatable but I can definitely contribute useful info. I think.

Lol
I said I was a squigly player, good is debatable but I can definitely contribute useful info. I think.
haha looking for good :) this is gonna be info people will depend on for a while so it has to be absolutely undeniable. But yeah when I put down the stuff I have and update it, I'd love to hear everyone's input including yours too!

Original Post Updated -- Stuff Covered:

Pros/Cons
Movement
Ground Normals
Air Normals
Throws
Charging

Also, I tried to give info on something, and have a USE FOR...and NOT FOR blurb about moves so people have a better perspective on them. Especially for beginners so they don't get bad habits for moves that look like they should be for something...but really shouldnt be.

Feedbackzzzzz!!

--> j.hp: A key move necessary to properly learn to master squigs. Only as good as you know how to use it. Incredibly long-reach, but pure-orange hitbox, trading with anything or getting flat-out-beat by it if challenged. When it lands or is blocked, the stun will allow for partial charge via buffering upon landing. USE FOR: Pre-emptively keeping people on the ground or knocking them out the air. Painwheel being just 1 primary example. Best used when enemy is lower than you on screen. Closing distance (when not dealing w/anti-airish attacks). Peacock a good example for that. Sometimes good to use at the end of combos for reset purposes NOT FOR: "zoning" or just throwing out to get people off you.
Thank you for the no zoning note, as amusing as punishing beginner Squiglys who try to zone with it by catching Leviathan's face with Heavenly Pot Buster, it needs to stop.

Hobo's better than myself at least. I like to think I play this character.

Fuzzy doesn't play skullgirls, he's a karnov's revenge player.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Your pros/cons and descriptions of moves need to rely less on their use in combos, which is important, and more on their neutral, footsie, pressure, and defensive applications.

For instance, your explanation for 5LP had no mention about its use for stuffing IADs at close-range (same with 5MP, which I disagree with your assessment of not being useful at neutral,) the low-profiling properties of 2LK and 2MP (also 5HK old use dodging fireballs,) j.MK's use as a jump-in and basically one of her only options to hit right below her in the air, etc.

I know this is only the first draft going on, and in the end there will be some things some of us won't agree with like anything else in life. I'm not sure how you want to get feedback or have a discussion on these kind of things (e.g. here in thread, in private convos, group chat,) but it's your call.

Reactions: Nuuance and Dime
Agree with the neutral assessment. Also things that one wouldn't know at first glance of looking at a move are important. Like painwheels st.mk being a good AA against iad. Or in squiglys case something like st.lkx2 being a good otg pickup.

Neutral cases are IMHO the most important thing to put into a guide, that and universal things like universal combos and stuff. Ie, things that a new to the character player can start implementing NOW that will actually make their character use better.

So lower level execution resets that are effective etc etc. I think the best overall format that I've seen for that kind of video, though I don't necessarily agree with ALL their viewpoints is the guilty bits series. They don't explain to much redundant stuff about a character but just get into what the character wants to do at an intermediate/high level and explain how to get there.

Not saying this video should necessarily do that, but they had a great format to their stuff and remember that most of their stuff is:

Do this at neutral>then transfer to this kind of oki

Which is a great barebones way of putting the most important info out there for the player to digest and then the rest can come later. The primary emphasis is that the player doesn't waste crucial weeks/months trying to play the character in a non effective way.

Reactions: Nuuance and Luweewu
I'll quickly give some input on normals and specials.

s.lp
fastest normal, good for stopping iad, just be careful that they are not iad with an assist, does not hit some crouching opponets. go to button when you just want to poke up close.

s.mp
hits twice! also good for anti airing iad, first hit pulls in yada yada.

s.hp
not much use in neutral. damage getter in combos, can be lv2 sieara cancelled and linked into itself.

6.hp
squigly's command normal overhead. is a bit slow but can be siera canceled so you can do stuff like overhead siera cancel overhead, Or overhead low. You can cancel into different special moves for different mixups.

c.lp
can be useful in close stand offs if spaced and timed correctly. If you get it out first and they try to press a ground poke the flame will stuff their button and you can cancel it into a ground chain combo. If they block it, it hits 3 times. You can keep you pressure or not do all 3 hits and go for a grab. Also useful for otg pick ups into resets/mixups as you can do any number of hits into something else.

Also if you space it in front the your opponent so that it doesn't hit them but it puts them in preblock, because it is active, it will stuff assists, I've used this really well against big band's l.beat extend.

c.mp.
low profiles stuff. goes under projectiles. makes the parasoul match up more pleasant. I think the parasoul match up in in squigly's favor. Also good as an anti air for some jump ins and iad.

c.hp
is a low and hits multiple times. a ground pokeish kind of move that doesn't have a vulnerable box on the flame is a bit slow on the start up though. Moves you a bit forward though so you have to be a bit careful on your spacing, its no val s.hp. also a viable assist.

s.lk
not much use in neutral, can stop some iad but not as reliable. I use this to confirm more on characters that can duck under s.lp as if you miss your combo they will at least block this attack. otg pick up to continue combo.

s.mk
??? I haven't had much use for this button. will launch opponent if they are airborn as a result can screw up your combos. Has the most block stun? Have to verify that. I've seen people use this as a getto anti air similar s.mp, not sure if that was an accident.

s.hk
launcher, lowers your vulnerable box similar to c.mp/c.lk but is slower so not as reliable. very risky anti air.

c.lk
a low and a ground poke, fast and has decent range. hits both sides so you can hit double assist if she flies behind you. I didn't notice but squigly does the splits (ಠ_ಠ). Most of sqiglys attacks like s.lp and other siera canceled normals leave you at frame advantage so c.lk is good at catching people up backing.

c.mk
longest of squigly's ground pokes that are lows, is faster than c.hp as well (well excluding c.hk) but it is vulnerable so use with some caution, can use to whiff punish people's missed ground pokes. can cancel into c.hp>chord to get confirms.

c.hk
her sweep. longest range but you can combo off it if they tech. can use to stuff armor moves especially off assist. use siera cancel to make it less risky.

If you are poking around with c.mk and stuff people will often jump at you and counter hit you with a jump in attack. You still have time to cancel into daisy pusher or sbo to anti air them or dhc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luweewu
I'll talk about grabs for a bit. Squigly has a slow overhead people so can poke you out of it for much sadness. So try to make good use of you throw especially in the corner. There are some assist that help you to convert off throws midscreen meterlessly, easiest of which is cerecopter.

You can cancel throws into special moves, even seira cancel....!

In the corner you can use this to preserve your otg so that you can do a sliding knockdown for better oki and you keep the corner. Also in the corer you can do stuff like grab>uncharged liver mortis to get a sliding knockdown or grab>arpeggio which you can link after with s.lp to continue the combo, or go for a high low reset as they are momentarily in the air, I've caught a lot of up backers with this.

Since people think squigly's j.lk is good they will often block while jumping, so use squigly's air grab liberally. I tend to spam it more than j.lk as people like to jump and cover themselves with assist like pillar and updo. The big downside is that if the call certain assists with big bodies the dive kick follow up will hit the assist instead of the point character and you won't be able to continue the combo, so be aware of that.

On the dive kick conversion you don't have to continue the combo since grabs scale. You can do airgrab>divekick>c.lk into a high low or grab reset.

On Squigly's j.lk. Yes it is fast and has a hit box (I wouldn't call it good or even decent) but it has very short reach. So you have to be very careful about using it.

People can just jump back so that you miss and counter hit you. This goes for characters like Parasoul with her j.hp, double, painwheel(with flight she never has to be anywhere near any of you jumping attacks and can whiff punish all your attempts easily, really hate this match up), big band's cymbal clash, peacock's j.hp/j.hk and items, fukua's j.hk/j.lp. Every character really has something really good to counter your jump in and air to air attempts.

This move is probably her most overrated, just empty jump more and air grab if they get close.

Hot damn. just when i was getting ready to record my own guide, this appears :C

well, mine's geared more towards beginning players anyway (you have no idea how many people on /sgg/ ask about squigly)

here's how i described her specials:

· Liver mortis is executed with QCF + LP. It’s invincible to mid and high hits, but not to low hits or throws [verify pls]. It has a little of this invincibility during its active frames and blasts your opponent across the screen in a sliding knockdown. Unfortunately, it’s too slow to combo into.

· Center Stage is the MP version of the Dragon’s Breath cycle which forces the camera to focus on her for a moment. This drags the opponent with it too, allowing for an interesting way to get in against zoners. This move works well as assist, allowing for some great set ups as long as you understand how it interacts with your own moves.

· Drag ‘n’ Bite uses HP and advances Squigly forward while Leviathan chomps. A decent combo ender that leaves you at an advantage but also leaves you in the face of your opponent.

· Arpeggio is the first of the Serpent’s Tail cycle and uses QCF + LK. The uncharged version is safe on block and can be used to catch people getting in. Like the charged Drag ‘n’ Bite, you can link a jab after it if it hits. It’s a common combo ender that can cancel into Squigly Battle Opera easily.

· Silver Chord QCF + MK throws Leviathan’s tail forward to drag an opponent towards Squigly if it hits. This staggers the opponent for a little bit, but automatically scales your combo to 50% damage. Be wary that it's unsafe on whiff and block. That said, you can use this as a mix-up tool in your block strings, as it can beat a surprising amount of attacks when up close. HOWEVER, that doesn’t mean you should throw it out all the time because it’s still very risky.

· Tremolo is the hard version of Serpent’s tail, hitting three times in front of herself to push the opponent away with a knockdown. Despite its appearance, it doesn’t hit low. The uncharged version does slightly more damage than Arpeggio as a combo ender, but because of its knockdown property, be sure to adjust your distance accordingly if you cancel it into Battle Opera.

· Stance basics Each of these moves go through one of two poses or “stances.” If you hold the button, you can keep Squigly in that stance until you release the button to perform the special. There are a few things you need to know about this state:

o 1) Moving during a stance is faster than her walk speed.

o 2) If you want to exit a stance without performing the move, press another button (while still holding the button you were already pressing)

o 3) When you hold a stance for a total 60f (1 second), you’ll get a flash that indicates that the next move that uses this stance will be a more powerful version than the normal.

o 4) You can partition these charges, meaning you can build up a portion of the charge and cancel the stance without losing it. For example, if you charge for 30f and then cancel, you only have to charge the remaining 30f next time. Note that you don’t lose the charge even if you’re hit in the stance—you only lose it if you use a special associated with it.

· Liver Mortis (charged) has a faster start up and more invincibility, deals more damage, and causes a wall bounce.

· Center Stage (charged) freezes the screen for a moment, allowing you to assess the situation and respond with the appropriate super. Afterwards, the camera stays in place longer than the uncharged version. It also creates a temporary corner.

· Drag n Bite (charged) has more hits and allows you to link a light after it.

· Arpeggio (charged) adds a sliding knockdown.

· Silver Chord (charged) has faster startup, recovery, and longer reach. It's still risky to throw out.

· Tremolo (charged) adds more hits and tracks the opponent, and even hits low.

· Draugen Punch is performed by using the DP motion (623) and any Punch button. Probably one of her better anti airs, though it’s still not perfect because it’s only invincible for a short amount of time. This move goes through the Dragon’s Breath stance, so you can charge this move as well, but only if you hold LP or MP. When charged, this move hits up to three times for more damage and knocks the opponent back farther. The L and M versions have more invincibility than the uncharged DP, but they’re still vulnerable during the stance’s startup animation. However, the H version is completely invincible on start-up. This wouldn’t interact well with stance cancels, which is why you can’t charge DP using Hard Punch.

· Fallen Woman is an aerial special performed with jQCF + K. The L version is the fastest and deals the least damage and hitstun. Usually used to prepare resets. The M version leaves enough hitstun to combo off of. The H version is the only one of the three that hits overhead and flips the opponent backwards for a hard knockdown, allowing for quite a few follow-ups. Use these divekicks in your block strings to pressure a defending opponent. You can even combo off of an Air Throw with it.

@Adwins & @akindhobo Just a note to re-iterate....Loveee LOVE the info, but please just drop info I've missed or stuff you've disagreed with. Stuff ive already mentioned is redundant. Got lots of stuffz and dont wanna parse data more than I have to & it's harder for me to get all the stuff i missed if it's mixed in with other things :P

@akindhobo wow! Thanks. A couple things I'll update with.

@Adwins niceeee, ill remember this for sure and include some of this info.

@Dime_x actually a really valid point. i liked guilty bits a lot. Plan to have mine more involved but ill try to review their formula more specifically

@Luweewu for sure, I'll include what you mentioned/i missed. for 5lp i never thought of it like that/knew that. ive never seen any squigs in play ever use it for that so never really came to mind. Also s.mp im aware can stuff things, but is far too slow (imo). But regardless Ill include that. In the guide im focusing on practicality and not just theory. In theory s.mp is great to stuff and s.lp....but who uses it & how often does i actually work & are there any comparable moves that are better? But again, i'll include them & specify what my opinion is from the facts.

Also, the descriptions arent really "relying" on combo details so much as me including them in there. I included everything I could think of about moves and probably have 80/90 percent covered. I am detailing the combo info because I want people to know how to structure combos with squigs. Many people have bad habits & I get annoyed seeing people immediately go into jump loops all day errr' day. So i put this for people to get optimal damage and whatnot. I'll include the neutral stuff too, but im also focusing on combos.

For whatever I left out lemme know, I'd sincerely love to include it

Last edited:
Here are some reactions to the stuff in the OP

Dashes:
While Squigly's dash has some startup before it starts moving properly, every forward dash in this game gets momentum on frame 1 (I assume it's frame 1) for the purposes of dash jumping or canceling into normals
This has applications like microdashing (forward or backward) to finely adjust spacing in charged stance cancel links, slightly increasing the ranges of any of her ground normals, increasing the range of her ground throw and kara ground throw (More on this later)

c.lp:
This is good for conditioning people to not pushblock the first hit of whatever you do. (Pretty desirable, I think!)

s.hp:
This is good for increasing the range of sing>daisy pusher. Also good for building meter on whiff if you have less than 1 bar and some space, like after killing a character. (Stance cancel immediately as the second hit starts)

s.fhp or however you write that:
I question that it has any utility for canceling into daisy pusher as a "fake out", c.hp holds that role. It's hardly even a mixup since they both lose to up-back! If you actually fight someone who tries to react to the overhead you are much better off using stance cancel into c.lk, or charged tremolo for mixups

s.hk:
This can be used to anti-air just fine but you have to really get used to the situations it will work in. It's applicable against approaches from straight above, or from attackers with slow air moves (Like if Eliza is getting above you and pressing j.hp or something)

j.mp:
It's notable that since the change to double jumping and calling assists, this move still lets Squigly adjust her air trajectory while being able to call assists during/afterwards.

j.hp:
This does hit plenty of crouching opponents, just not the really low crouchers (Filia, Double, Valentine?) It's fine as a delayed overhead or what have you, against most of the cast.

Charging:
You claim there is no recovery for canceling out of a stance, but there is in fact 5 frames of vulnerable recovery (This is pretty easy to measure with the in-game frame data and save-states) So add 5 frames to your reaction time.

s.lk/ground throw:
I think Squigly's kara throw is worth mentioning, she is the only character in the game who has one that is of any use. (Not counting command grabs)
s.lk moves forward on frames 1 and 2, and the window for kara-canceling s.lk into ground throw is two frames. So inputting lk~lp increases the range of her ground throw fairly significantly.
Combine this with microdashing and you can make setups where the opponent is susceptible to fast grabs from surprisingly long range. (Maximum range is slightly greater than shown in this video)

Last edited: