• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Future of SG / 2nd IGG? [NOT for new characters!]

I would rather them focus on work that they can live on. Feels selfish to want to keep them working on crowdfunding slave wages.
Which is precisely why I specified "adequate pay" in the OP??

Like I said before I rather Lab zero stops working with slave wages and starts working on a project they want to do. Or if not that's also fine.
1) Which is precisely why I specified "adequate pay" in the OP??
2) Which is why I asked Mike whether he would be cool with it? And he responded..?!

I get what you're saying. As much as I like the idea, it feels like taking advantage.
Which is why I asked Mike whether he would be cool with it? And he responded..?!

I don't understand these posts??

I feel like after robofortune this game can be complete and Lab Zero should go do something else that is actually paying them. This game is great right now and I can wait for the next game they release.

2) Which is why I asked Mike whether he would be cool with it? And he responded..?!

Which is why I asked Mike whether he would be cool with it? And he responded..?!

We are sharing our toughts about the " future of SG 2nd not foe new chars.", but sounds good if Mike accept it doing it not for free obviously

I think what you're not picking up, which literally everyone else did from Mike's post, is that he really doesn't want to do it.

He wants Skullgirls to be done.

He wants to move on.

Let it just happen, man.
Let it go.

We shouldn't force a developer that has spent a good portion of time and effort into someone he doesn't want to do just so we can have less than a week of entertainment before someone cries about how unfair it is.

Its a vicious cycle of complaining and raising money to force people to spend time they don't want to on something.

Let. It. Go.

Last edited:

Im sure we can get 100 people to pony up $30 a week, easy. I dont want to pressure him into doing it though.

Like the thread didnt ask do you want to do another patch, it went straight to would you do it for the right price.

Like the thread didnt ask do you want to do another patch, it went straight to would you do it for the right price.
Ok
1. Hi Mike, would you be ok with continuing to work on SG after Robo is done?
3. If yes, how much would that cost? I know the number for a new character was something around 300k, but I am not asking for that.

1) Does Mike even want this (perhaps he wants to be done with this project, or perhaps he really doesn't want another IGG, or w/e)
3) And, if both of these are answered with yes (if either is a No, this thread is instant dead right there), what is the rough estimate as to the amount of money that would need to get raised?

i'll have give my toughts about all of this:

1) I 100% agree with the idea of Lab Zero and Mike moving on to do something else, something new and taking their sweet time before or while doing it, they all deserve some good rests after so much effort that has been put into this magnificent game, i feel like Skullgirls was the first big step into a glorious future, i'll give my full support to whatever new project they come up with.

2) I don't agree with the idea of Lab Zero doing another IGG, they are well past that kind of thing by now, if one happens it should be driven by us, the community, rather than Lab Zero.

3) Just like a few others, while i do agree with moving on from Skullgirls, i still feel some concerns about the future of the game, i just don't want Skullgirls to be forgotten in the past, i can accept it being "completed", "done, "finished" etc, but not with it being forgotten with time and left behind by the community, like Lab Zero makes something new, most of the community moves onto it while forgetting Skullgirls behind and to the point they don't even play it or care for it anymore, that's what i fear.

Well, i finally got that out of my chest, my best wishes to the entire Lab Zero team, i'll never be able to thank you all enough for this amazing game, easily one of my favorites of all time with one of the best communities i've had the pleasure to be part of.

I feel like after robofortune this game can be complete and Lab Zero should go do something else that is actually paying them. This game is great right now and I can wait for the next game they release.
More or less how I feel. I'd much rather wait for a whole new game that'll come out in the sorta-distant future than have the developer draw blood from the stone.

I've waited 8+ years for Episode 3 and I still believe, I can wait for a new Skullgirls.

I think what you're not picking up, which literally everyone else is from Mike's post, is that he really doesn't want to do it.
I disagree. I'm willing to bet that while, yes, he wants to be done with this, he also sees the lasting value of give one last pass at what will amount to his legacy in FG development. I know what it's like to want to take one last look at your art and make sure it's what you wanted it to be, even if you're fucking sick of looking at it. I believe that's why he's humoring this. If he was categorically against this idea, he would've said so in his first post.

Feel free to correct me if I'm off base, @Mike_Z.

extra thing: everyone please stop talking like we're asking lab zero for something. We're talking about MIKE possibly doing one last contract gig. This wouldn't be somehow be affecting development of Skullgirls 2, Skullheart RPG, Shumpgirls, or whatever they end up moving onto.

Boy that's a lot of cash $$$. I would support, because having 1 last patch for encore after its done would be nice. I'd hope it wouldn't happen until like... over a year after 2nd encore is done though.

glad to read about Mike's thoughts on this. While I for one would love to see another Skullgirls game (And maybe a more direct story to answer alot of questions) or anything else L0 plans to turn their gears on, Mike and the crew really need to have a break. They've done so much for us, with little reward. I came out to Evo last year mainly to support Skullgirls. I honestly couldn't afford it but with some help (which I'm still seriously thankful for) I was able to attend and have some fun. Wished I could of had more fun, but that's for another time to explain.

If I had a full time, and well paying, job, I'd do my best to come out to every awesome event that SG's has.. Specially Combo Breaker this year. No real way of getting there and no job put a halt on that.

I guess TL;DR: Thank you @Mike_Z for everything you and your wonderful crew has done for us over the 4 years. May you guys have a well deserved rest and hope you can get som'in new going that will be great, no matter what it'll be.

Reactions: 6-Let
If this final balance patch ends up happening for whatever reason....take your honeymoon first Mike. Good lord. I felt really bad reading that you had not taken it yet because of this game. :(

I've been involved in a few gaming communities in the past and I've never seen this level of passion for the game from both the developer and the fans. We are not "owed" a final balance patch after the game is complete. The expectations for this game have been exceeded time and time again.

I am, however, happy that the idea of a community funded final balance* patch is a consideration on the table. That being said, I won't be upset if it doesn't happen, and I hope everyone else feels the same way. Lab Zero has put more effort into this game than I've seen everywhere else, they deserve a break.

*You could argue that some characters are slightly weaker or stronger than they should be, but the game is pretty exceptionally well balanced for where it is now

Please quit @'ing me in this thread, I'm already here, thank you. :^)

On the other hand, I don't know if the game is really going to need another large balance update THAT badly.
This is the hope...but I have terrified visions of the entire Evo top8 being Robo/Beo/Peacock mirrors anyway...

Turn this into the Mike Z Appreciation Thread.
Please don't, thank you.

I dont want to pressure him into doing it though.
He totally asked that. And I totally answered it.

Feel free to correct me if I'm off base,
Nah, you're right. I mean, I do think it's a good idea, I just don't look at it with Anticipation of Fun Times.
Though perhaps it might be a good idea to wait until the final version is out and see whether it even needs that much work before raising any money.

Boy that's a lot of cash $$$.
Over 2 months it's $1500/week. That's basically standard contractor rate for mid-level skill, which (for this project at least) I am not, since there are factually zero others who could do this job in that timeframe. Over 3 months it's $1000/week, which is a $52k/year salary. That's well below my very first entry-level-programmer salary at Pandemic, which was also not a contract job so the taxes were lower than they will be on this.

After reading that again I should have asked for more. :^P

like Lab Zero makes something new, most of the community moves onto it while forgetting Skullgirls behind and to the point they don't even play it or care for it anymore, that's what i fear.
I sincerely doubt it would be another fighting game, so unless the entire community would drop SG for the single-player wall-of-text masterpiece Cooking Papa Z DX: Manic Cookening Again, the game is pretty safe.

Off topic, but would the first enemy in Cooking Papa Z DX: Manic Cookening Again be mashed potatos?

I'm afraid for the IP.... Skullgirls is just so innovative and refreshing compared to all the rehashes out there, and I'm worried lab zero wont come back to it because of how troubled development was, and how little they charged/made from the game. I'm sure the IP has gone up in value since the original release, I just hope it's gone up enough...

I stand by what I said: let the development cycle end and let the team rest. They'll do something new and we'll support because we know the quality of their work.

No need to pressure them

Reactions: JamesMcCloud
Let the dev cycle end. The end of the dev cycle sure as hell ain't the end of SG. Hasn't been the end of melee or CvS2.

YOU ARE ATTACKED BY A LV16 NECROMANCER

>FIGHT
. MAGIC
. DEFEND
. ITEM
. FLEE

latest

Is it he end of Skullgirls? yes end of the Skullgirls IP most likley not. but the series needs a rest Indivisible is coming and I cannot wait for it.

YOU ARE ATTACKED BY A LV16 NECROMANCER
>Attempt to negotiate
>Die
>Oh.

Anyway, my thoughts, since this is already gravedug:

If Mike wants to make a balance patch, that's okay. There's almost always something you can improve, whether obvious or not. Unless you end up making another Morrigan/Doom/Vergil, in which case please don't.

If he doesn't, that's also okay. 70-90 hours a week is brutal, AND we've got Indivisible in the works. Gotta sleep and eat and all that real-life stuff.

If he wants to get paid for it, and we can amass that money, and we're all content and satisfied with that amount of money, then sure, I'm okay with paying him. No work should be done for free (at least not on a big game like this).

If Mike wants to make a patch, but can't for reasons such as time constraints, that's fine as well. Disappointing, but shit happens.

TL;DR I'm fine with all outcomes. Even though this issue is probably far outdated and we haven't seen any crowdfunding yet, so I'm pretty sure the outcome was "not possible." Eh.