• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Gurren Lagann Thread

Meow-Professor

Getting back into the swing of things
Reaction score
Steam
Meow-Professor
PSN
Meow-Professor
Filia Cerebella Squigly
I can't believe there isn't one of these, and I can't seem to find one, so here.
This is, to date, one of the only animes I could get into not being a fan of the genre.
Yoko and Kittan are both some of my favorite characters from anything with Kamina being a close third.
I've seen it mentioned time and time again on the forum so I thought we might as well have a place to discuss it exculusively. I'm still not completely sure there isn't one of these yet.

Reactions: DapperEntity
Oh my god, we finally have a TTGL thread.
1353959748123.gif

I absolutely love this anime. I can't even describe how I feel about this, it's just that legendary. It's also the scale I use to judge how amazing a thing is.

Reactions: Denizen
I like the first half a lot more than the second.
I'm just the kinda guy who can't take too much over the top-ness in his anime.
like, I don't mind over the top.
but the second half I can't finish.

I actually prefer the second half because a lot of characters get so much development. Kittan, especially; his character became something really fantastic.
I do think that it was over the top, though, but I was used to the silliness it by the time the second half came along.
The whole Nia thing is really stupid, and so are the aliens.

Lmao i actually watched this fairly recently. I really love over the top stuff so this was something I really enjoyed. The time jump thing was really fun and interesting to see how characters changed and connected.

Kittan and Leeron fave chars for me. Yoko's final costume looked shit tho, she got ripped off everyone else looked super cool.

Kittan didnt need to die tho wtf why. I think i'd have enjoyed the series so much more if it just had a really happy ending to the second half with far fewer deaths.

Oh wow, I thought I was he only one who loves Leeron.
I knew Kittan was going to die right when the time jump happened. He became important, but irrelevant enough to be fitting to die.

I don't know why people like the way they handled Kittan's death, though. I thought it was a bit too over-the-top for it to actually have any impact. I thought Kamina's death was dealt with in a much better way.

Spoiler'd because I don't want to ruin the anime for some. And what a shame that would be.
At least it's not Power-Up syndrome. There's a lot of upgrades, but thankfully they happen very quickly and are not really overdone. It's not like Goku where they just start throwing numbers at your face that multiply exponentially, and each form is monumentally more powerful than the last; The only ridiculous jump is from Galaxy Juggernaut to Tengen Toppa, and, if you count the movie, from Tengen Toppa Lagann to Super Tengen Toppa.

It's not at all odd that they survive the equivalent of the big bang and are just like "Yeah, whatever", right?
That's why I feel in some regards, Kill la Kill was much more successful when it came to power scaling, and I feel like anybody who disliked the Over-The-Top levels in Gurren Lagann would love that show, but, Gurren Lagann goes from 0 to 180 in no time at all. One moment they're throwing rocks and sticks, and the next they use galaxies like shuriken.

Good thing I have the most hilariously large suspension of disbelief. Part of the reason I love stuff like that, ha.

Oh wow, I thought I was he only one who loves Leeron.
Everybody loves Leeron, deep in their hearts. :^)