• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Help!! I downloaded pc drivers on my xbox controller, it no longer functions on the xbox

SaltedIce

Squig Band Fuk Yeah!!
Reaction score
Steam
Voodin
XBL
JammedIPawned U
Big Band Squigly Fukua
Seriously, I dont understand how this happens but now my xbox controller only works on pc.

*UPDATE, peice of shit stopped working on my pc aswell

Last edited:
You don't download drivers to your xbox controller, you download them to your PC.
So I have no idea what the heck you actually did.

You don't download drivers to your xbox controller, you download them to your PC.
So I have no idea what the heck you actually did.
I downloaded them on my pc, used the controller on the pc, and now its dysfunctional.

I downloaded them on my pc, used the controller on the pc, and now its dysfunctional.
That's strange. The drivers shouldn't have done anything to the controller, it just interprets the inputs it's sending to your computer.
Did you use the default xbox drivers? Or weird 3rd party ones?

I'm pretty sure this is a case where correlation is not causation.

Your controller died. Get another one.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
What Cynical said. Controllers can't receive data like that. The pc gets the drivers. Your controller just happened to die around the time you set up your drivers.

I'm pretty sure this is a case where correlation is not causation.

Your controller died. Get another one.
I was leaning towards that, but I wanted to get the whole story first.
The other possibility I had in mind was that he downloaded stupid drivers instead of the microsoft ones like motioninjoy, then he went back to play xbox and didn't resync his (wireless) controller to the console, instead hitting the home button and not knowing why the controller wasn't connecting. Then when he returned to his pc the bad drivers he had installed fucked up. Kind of a stretch, but I wanted to rule it out before telling him his controller broke.

A bad analogy I want to make is that drivers are practically an instruction manual for your PC on how to use said XBox Controller.

And last I checked, instruction manuals don't break game controllers. This is where someone makes an "Instructions unclear, X" joke.

I did download the official Microsoft drivers, I was wondering because it worked the first couple days i used it on PC but the very minute I put it back in the Xbox it stopped working, it does that little light blink, but it doesn't work.

I did download the official Microsoft drivers, I was wondering because it worked the first couple days i used it on PC but the very minute I put it back in the Xbox it stopped working, it does that little light blink, but it doesn't work.
Did you try to sync it to your console again?
Does the controller still not work for pc?
When you say that it does the "light blink" do you mean that all the lights blink on the home button like normal before it gives up and fails to connect, or are they doing something else?
What USB receiver are you using? A microsoft one or 3rd party?

Did you try to sync it to your console again?
Does the controller still not work for pc?
When you say that it does the "light blink" do you mean that all the lights blink on the home button like normal before it gives up and fails to connect, or are they doing something else?
What USB receiver are you using? A microsoft one or 3rd party?
Its a corded controller not a wireless,
The guide button lights blink twice the turn off,
and no it doesn't work on PC anymore.

Its a corded controller not a wireless,
The guide button lights blink twice the turn off,
and no it doesn't work on PC anymore.
Yeah, it's just broken.
The only other thing I can think of is to try a different usb port on your xbox if you haven't already, or maybe try switching the end with a different wired controller's if you have another one? You could probably fix it if you're willing to solder the wire, since it sounds like the connection to the console is the problem and not the controller itself, but buying a new controller would be about 100 times easier if you don't already know how to solder and you wouldn't even save that much money if you don't already have a soldering iron. So yeah, I don't recommend that, but it's pretty much the only other option.

Reactions: SaltedIce
Yeah, it's just broken.
The only other thing I can think of is to try a different usb port on your xbox if you haven't already, or maybe try switching the end with a different wired controller's if you have another one? You could probably fix it if you're willing to solder the wire, since it sounds like the connection to the console is the problem and not the controller itself, but buying a new controller would be about 100 times easier if you don't already know how to solder and you wouldn't even save that much money if you don't already have a soldering iron. So yeah, I don't recommend that, but it's pretty much the only other option.
Thanks, I'll go destroy this piece of crap, I'd rather a steam controller anyway.