• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How do I Use Peacock With a Gamepad!?

Skullgirlsfanboy

Thread Master (According to Dekillsage)
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Steam
skullgirlsfanboy
Peacock
Hi! Here's a gameplay question!

I realized that with my Fightstick gone and PC Skullgirls essentially nonexistent at tournaments, I need to use a gamepad. That's ok for Double and F***a (Not telling which one yet!), but Peacock's another story. It's bad enough that I need to re-train my brain to do combos, but I REALLY need some advice on how to use her specifically on a gamepad. L and M Shadows, namely. Assorrted :QCF: imputs are easy, but I just can't hold those tiny buttons!!!
While I'm at it, can someone enlighten me as to why gamepads are so popular these days? As a stick player, I just can't get my mind around it...

Thanks!

git gud
Really, that's about it, its practice.

Edit: And sorry your post just look like an excuse for....yeah you know.

Last edited:
press the buttons.

Gamepads are popular because they're the definitive peripheral for people who are super cool and good at video games. They aren't exactly more popular at all, there's just been recent success with people who use them. A "good" pad is significantly cheaper than a "good" arcade stick. A pad could also be considered more practically usable in other genres of games that aren't fighters. The only comparison I can really think of right now would be with cars. All cars achieve the same goal, getting from one place to another, the kind of car that you decide to use is entirely based on your reasons for using it. This is a shitty analogy.

In short, I don't think anybody is going to be able to tell you the right way to push buttons on a controller because really just push the buttons. I would expect a lot of the following responses to be like the one above.

I'm not sure what you gain by trying to hide the fact that you're going to be playing Fukua though. Especially when you say you're going to be playing one or the other. I just think if you don't want people to know you're gonna play fukua then don't let people know you're going to play fukua. But hey whatever you're the only you that can be you so you be you.

press the buttons.

Gamepads are popular because they're the definitive peripheral for people who are super cool and good at video games. They aren't exactly more popular at all, there's just been recent success with people who use them. A "good" pad is significantly cheaper than a "good" arcade stick. A pad could also be considered more practically usable in other genres of games that aren't fighters. The only comparison I can really think of right now would be with cars. All cars achieve the same goal, getting from one place to another, the kind of car that you decide to use is entirely based on your reasons for using it. This is a shitty analogy.

In short, I don't think anybody is going to be able to tell you the right way to push buttons on a controller because really just push the buttons. I would expect a lot of the following responses to be like the one above.

I'm not sure what you gain by trying to hide the fact that you're going to be playing Fukua though. Especially when you say you're going to be playing one or the other. I just think if you don't want people to know you're gonna play fukua then don't let people know you're going to play fukua. But hey whatever you're the only you that can be you so you be you.
With that being said, is there an optimal brand for gamepads? Is there a Madcatz gamepad I can dominate with? And who says it's Fukua? I didn't say it! Who told you!?
git gud
Really, that's about it, its practice.

Edit: And sorry your post just look like an excuse for....yeah you know.
Nah, I'm sorta in a bind, actually LOL I want to get to BITF and do well, but without a stick, I'm a bit nervous.... I'm already pretty decent with rushdown characters on a gamepad, but it's Peacock that's the problem... her standard combos are wonky as-is, but on a gamepad... *shudder*
So, it's just practice, then? no amazing secret? no One Piece reference? hmm... I've got my work cut out for me, huh?

but it's Peacock that's the problem... her standard combos are wonky as-is, but on a gamepad... *shudder*
So, it's just practice, then? no amazing secret? no One Piece reference? hmm... I've got my work cut out for me, huh?

Well, i play on Keyboard *runs away*.

So yeah i dont know how is to play peacock on a pad, but in my mind, doing combos with Air dash cancel can be a little tricky on the pad, and some rushdown with lots of cancels, doing QCF/QCB is easier on a pad though, man its practice, good luck/practice.

Reactions: Skullgirlsfanboy
Well, i play on Keyboard *runs away*.

So yeah i dont know how is to play peacock on a pad, but in my mind, doing combos with Air dash cancel can be a little tricky on the pad, and some rushdown with lots of cancels, doing QCF/QCB is easier on a pad though, man its practice, good luck/practice.
I know, right!? Keyboard are so easy to use! Why isn't there a gaming keyboard that we can use on PS3 yet? I'd like that. Or at least a patch to use one on Skullgirls...
Well, I know Dekillsage is a Pad-user, so let's ask him...
*steps outside* Hey, @dekillsage ! Any advice on how to use a gamepad? It'd be greatly appreciated!

you don't play peacock on a pad
if you do you won't get the good spam pattern anyways
I tried i just don't have the patience for it, good luck tho

you don't play peacock on a pad
if you do you won't get the good spam pattern anyways
I tried i just don't have the patience for it, good luck tho

This is incorrect.

I have a REALLY good peacock friend and he plays on a pad.
difficult? maybe, impossible? nah.

This is incorrect.

I have a REALLY good peacock friend and he plays on a pad.
difficult? maybe, impossible? nah.
Well, I'll TOTALLY be cooler than McPeanuts if I can have the "Perfect Pad Peacock"!

Pad as in like a normal PS3 controller?
I find having your dash macro being all 3 punches helps make things easy with item drop and Argus combos, won't have to worry about what buttons you're holding down. Makes things a lot easier.

Edit: Also I have my shoulders reversed from the default. So I use L1 and L2 for HP and HK respectively. Perhaps that makes a bit of a difference as far as holding L or M shadows and trying to move about?

Pad as in like a normal PS3 controller?
I find having your dash macro being all 3 punches helps make things easy with item drop and Argus combos, won't have to worry about what buttons you're holding down. Makes things a lot easier.
You know, this thread may have more merit than what I thought!
(and yes, I meant a PS3 controller)

So yeah i dont know how is to play peacock on a pad, but in my mind, doing combos with Air dash cancel can be a little tricky on the pad,

I use a xBox controller and to perform air dash cancels I tap foward twice. It work wonders.

I use a xBox controller and to perform air dash cancels I tap foward twice. It work wonders.
So is the double tap better than the multi button for gamepad dash cancels?
Also, What are the best characters to use on gamepad?

So is the double tap better than the multi button for gamepad dash cancels?
Also, What are the best characters to use on gamepad?

At least for me, yes. Seems tricky at first, but way better than pressing LP and MP at the same time (I only play on xBox controller. Dunno about PS3 pad). And I only use Squigs, Filia and Nadia, so I don't know about any other character.

Just gonna note you gave away that you're using fukua by bringing up l/m shadows

I honestly have nothing to contribute so mods I'm not even mad if this gets deleted

I know, right!? Keyboard are so easy to use! Why isn't there a gaming keyboard that we can use on PS3 yet? I'd like that. Or at least a patch to use one on Skullgirls...
Well, I know Dekillsage is a Pad-user, so let's ask him...
*steps outside* Hey, @dekillsage ! Any advice on how to use a gamepad? It'd be greatly appreciated!

N8_1024x1024.jpg

This is my controller.
Much better than a keyboard, works on PC, PS3, and Xbox.
It can also do things better than Sticks in some areas.

hitboxes, god bless you for using those
I tried playing c. viper on one and i nearly had an aneurysm

how can "up" be "down"
this doesn't make sense

I use a 360 pad, and, personally, use the 2-punch-buttons dash myself over the analog stick dash, as for me it feels the most accurate and not sloppy feeling in combos. I would suggest well, doing Peacock combos. A full one. Give this BnB a practice.

s.LP c.MP s.MK, j.MP j.HP, airdash, (Delay a little or you will not go anywhere) j.LK j.MP, (land then jump airjuggle) j.LP j.LK j.MP (j.MK optional, use in corner always), s.LP c.MP s.HK -> Shadow of Impending Doom H, OTG Argus Agony, Item Drop (LVL3), George L -> Argus Agony, George L hits -> Argus Agony

As for holding those tiny buttons, get used to it. Controller will take some getting used to if you're a stick player but it shouldn't be too bad. I personally use my thumb to hit both LP and MP when need be. I'm definitely not the kind of person that uses the Forbidden Claw. And, assuming you mean L and M Shadow of Impending Doom, and not Fukua, you don't really want to typically use the L version, but M is very good for rushdown approaches, pressure, and mixing up with.

As for popularity, their relatively cheap compared to fight sticks and can be just as accurate and a weapon to be reckoned with as any of the other weapons of choice. Quite personally, as far as control methods go, 360 Pads and Wii/WiiU Pro Classic Gamepads give me the best experience, for their contour and feel, their sweet buttons, and their outright excellent joysticks.
For whichever you end up wanting, do your research, look for the right controller, get your converters if necessary, etc. and you can use anything you want that has a wire, I'm sure.

Just takes some research and effort, as everything does.

I use a 360 pad, and, personally, use the 2-punch-buttons dash myself over the analog stick dash, as for me it feels the most accurate and not sloppy feeling in combos. I would suggest well, doing Peacock combos. A full one. Give this BnB a practice.

s.LP c.MP s.MK, j.MP j.HP, airdash, (Delay a little or you will not go anywhere) j.LK j.MP, (land then jump airjuggle) j.LP j.LK j.MP (j.MK optional, use in corner always), s.LP c.MP s.HK -> Shadow of Impending Doom H, OTG Argus Agony, Item Drop (LVL3), George L -> Argus Agony, George L hits -> Argus Agony

As for holding those tiny buttons, get used to it. Controller will take some getting used to if you're a stick player but it shouldn't be too bad. I personally use my thumb to hit both LP and MP when need be. I'm definitely not the kind of person that uses the Forbidden Claw. And, assuming you mean L and M Shadow of Impending Doom, and not Fukua, you don't really want to typically use the L version, but M is very good for rushdown approaches, pressure, and mixing up with.

As for popularity, their relatively cheap compared to fight sticks and can be just as accurate and a weapon to be reckoned with as any of the other weapons of choice. Quite personally, as far as control methods go, 360 Pads and Wii/WiiU Pro Classic Gamepads give me the best experience, for their contour and feel, their sweet buttons, and their outright excellent joysticks.
For whichever you end up wanting, do your research, look for the right controller, get your converters if necessary, etc. and you can use anything you want that has a wire, I'm sure.

Just takes some research and effort, as everything does.
Thanks for the ideas! I didn't think about converters... Didn't Luffy/Louffy (I've literally seen both... What is it?) use a ps1controller? And yes, I meant Shadow of Impending Doom, the best shadow anywhere! Another question, though. Would you say the dpad or stick is better? I sometimes find myself juggling them due to various circumstances...
This is my controller.
Much better than a keyboard, works on PC, PS3, and Xbox.
It can also do things better than Sticks in some areas.
Great! All I need is $150 dollars! I could buy THREE fightsticks for that! It IS cool, though! How exactly does that thing feel? I imagine it's pretty convenient to not need converters, but am I losing my mind, or does it use buttons for the direction imputs!? Man, that looks like it took time to learn...
Seriously, though. That thing has more Bossness than the Septiceye!

S cool, though! How exactly does that thing feel? I imagine it's pretty convenient to not need converters, but am I losing my mind, or does it use buttons for the direction imputs!? Man, that looks like it took time to learn...
Seriously, though. That thing has more Bossness than the Septiceye!
It goes Left | Down | Right
Then the giant big one below everything else is 'Up'
Those are not my fingers mine are much prettier.
Hitbox3.jpg

It goes Left | Down | Right
Then the giant big one below everything else is 'Up'
QUOTE]
gotta say, that's a cool controller!
(I'm finally able to pull out Skullgirls again, so I [should] be testing the advice you guys gave me tonight!)

i play solopeacock with a ps3 pad because i dont have an arcade stick, i use the analog and no macros, i just press quickly the hp for the argus combos. its all about the timing.

though i do have problems with spamming patterns, though as a solopeacock you dont want to rely on full zoning, if you are using a team its a different story.

i play solopeacock with a ps3 pad because i dont have an arcade stick, i use the analog and no macros, i just press quickly the hp for the argus combos. its all about the timing.

though i do have problems with spamming patterns, though as a solopeacock you dont want to rely on full zoning, if you are using a team its a different story.
Thanks for the advice, everyone! Turns out that I missed that tournament by 20 days, so I'll just wait till I get a new fightstick. I think this thread's still very useful, though. So, if anyone makes a breakthrough, tell us all, please!

(Now all we need to do is perfect Rushdown Peacock... I'm going to get to that eventually!)

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Turns out that I missed that tournament by 20 days, so I'll just wait till I get a new fightstick. I think this thread's still very useful, though. So, if anyone makes a breakthrough, tell us all, please!

(Now all we need to do is perfect Rushdown Peacock... I'm going to get to that eventually!)

add me i can teach you the rushdown stuff i know. steam:ninja-nutria