• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Filia How to find a good assist? + general and Filia-related questions

Nepho

Reaction score
Steam
Neph0
Fukua Filia
Hi.

I'm pretty new to Skullgirls.

Spent a lot of time playing
Filia, love her rushdown gameplay.
However, I wanted an assist, but I suck ass with other characters
so I started playing
Fukua, because I like her semi-projectile, semi-rushdown
gameplay. Plus she had some moves in common with
Filia.

I also picked her because of her Love Dart, it occupies good space on screen,
and it can make some of the stupid things I do with
Filia safer. Plus, it has a
good hit-stun, so I can usually convert into some combo.

Generally, how do you find a good assist? Who would you recommend with
Filia?

Also, are burst-bait combos really important? I guess online you can wreck
button-mashing scrubs, but I'm pretty sure most of the players don't burst out
of a combo at the first possible hit. So, what do? Check once if my opponent
is button-mashing scrub with a burst bait, and if he doesn't take it, just stop
trying? Because it's usually quite a loss in damage.

Also, are there unblockables in Skullgirls? I guess not, but who knows.

Other question, it it possible to cross-up/cross-under an opponent on respawn?
I feel like if you try to dash under/over the opponent when he respawns, he's
just gonna spawn closer to the wall, that way you can't really left/right mix him up.

How do you play characters without airdash in this game? I have a looot of
trouble getting in without an air dash. Plus, mixups are harder without IADs.
Especially against characters like
Peacock, if my Filia is down, it's almost impossible
for me to get close with
Fukua, who can't match Peacock's fire rate.

Also, when should I use
Filia's ground-spike? I can't find that much utility to that.
Except when I use it with Love Dart. But still, pretty slow, can't combo into anything,
except in the corner.

What assist move should I take on
Filia? I usually use her cr.mk because it allows me
to keep pressuring, but I'm pretty sure I could find something better. Any idea?

If I'm being pressured on the ground, should I just crouch tech option select and react to overheads to be safe?

And I guess that's all for now. Thanks to anyone who will answer me!

Last edited:
Generally, how do you find a good assist?
Look at what a move does, and see whether that's useful.
- Eg what does sLP assist do? It's unlikely to hit anything as it has got short range, if it does hit something it deals almost no damage and is hard to convert from, it doesn't really help you with anything = Bad assist
- Eg what does H.Updo assist do? It's invincible so it's gonna beat everything your opponent can press which allows for some funky mixups, its invincible startup also means that you can call it while pressured without being too afraid that it just gets hit which helps your defence, it applies a knockdown on hit so you can combo after it, it comes out far in front of you and goes high so in controls notable (air-)space = Good assist

Generally asissts help with one or multiple of:
- Neutral Game (Controlling a certain spot on the screen)
- Offence (Either helping with Mixups, or applying Lockdown)
- Defence (Being callable even when being pressured, due to Armor or Invincibility)
- Combo Extensions
And you just weigh based on what you think you need

Also, are burst-bait combos really important?
They are neat, and you can choose strings which only bait after multiple hits (eg after the 3rd) against people who aren't mashing
They aren't necessary though. Learn them whenever you feel like it.. or don't; they're not crucial in any way.

Also, are there unblockables in Skullgirls? I guess not, but who knows.
You can't block Throws :^)

There are no "classic" unblockables, since High+Low hit connecting at the same time allows you to block in either direction.
There are very-hard-to-blockables where you call a low hitting assist and then connect with your high a bit after the low (so they have to switch guard quickly), but that's it.

How do you play characters without airdash in this game? I have a looot of
trouble getting in without an air dash. Plus, mixups are harder without IADs.
Especially against characters like Peacock, if my Filia is down, it's almost impossible
for me to get close with Fukua, who can't match Peacock's fire rate.
"How do you play characters" is kind of too broad a question to really answer.
Dash-Block, Jump-Block, various Special/Super moves help with advancing on the opponent (or not having to, eg Fukua doesn't have to go in against anyone but Peacock since she can just shoot Fireballs and force the opponent to move forward).
Eg Fukua can do her Super Fireball (QCF-PP) to shoot Peacock out of startup of something and then run in while Peacock is knocked down.

Low/Throw is a 50/50 mixup for every member of the cast, so that should help you hit people (Throw beats people who hold Downback/Back, Low wins against people holding Back/Upback) no matter which character you play

Also, when should I use Filia's ground-spike? I can't find that much utility to that.
Except when I use it with Love Dart. But still, pretty slow, can't combo into anything,
except in the corner.
Ringlet Spike combos into Gregor (QCB-KK) for a full combo afterwards.
You use it to fight against people who are too projectile-happy at midrange, eg Parasoul doing LP.Tearshot will lose against Ringlet always (the Ringlet goes under the Tear)

What assist move should I take on Filia? I usually use her cr.mk because it allows me
to keep pressuring, but I'm pretty sure I could find something better. Any idea?
Filia's mainly used Assist Options are:
- cMK (Low, Lockdown, Quick, Low Range)
- H.Hairball (Lockdown, Moves forward)
- H.Updo (Invincible, Antiair)
For Fukua, most people would probably choose Updo assist, since her defence is a bit sketchy and controlling space is always kinda nice with a zoner.

Hello @IsaVulpes, thank you for your answer.

I didn't know that updo is invincible on startup. It makes a great assist
out of it indeed. Can I wait for the opponent to fall on the ground to combo
or do I have to start the combo in the air right after the updo connects?

I'm not on my computer so I can't test right now.

You didn't answer about this part though:

« If I'm being pressured on the ground, should I just crouch tech option select and react to overheads to be safe? »
But I guess it's because I added it a bit later.

Can I wait for the opponent to fall on the ground to combo
or do I have to start the combo in the air right after the updo connects?
You can hit them out of the air after it connects to save your otg and extend damage~

If I'm being pressured on the ground, should I just crouch tech option select and react to overheads to be safe?
Block high when they're in the air and block low when they're on the ground. Anything that doesn't get blocked like that should be pretty obvious to react to.
Pushblocking and pbgc are also great ways to get pressure off of you~
You could probably pushblock then punish with a great normal/special or a rightly timed assist when they try to get back in.

You can combo out of Updo at any point - while the opponent is flying through the air is fine, after he gets knocked down by it is also fine (just do it before he techs :P ).

There is no crouchtech in Skullgirls (LP+LK while holding downback won't ever tech a throw, but give you cLP) and you can't react to 9/10 of Skullgirl's overheads, so uuuhhh.. no.
Read what the opponent is going to do, pushblock them away, and pray. Offence in SG is kind of scary.

Crouchtech not being in SG is noted in the Tutorials, so if you haven't played those yet, do that!
I do think it is kind of a .. "hidden" message though, or at least was last time I looked, so if you just missed it, no biggie.

Pushblocking and pbgc are also great ways to get pressure off of you~

Oh, yeah. I always forget pushblock... My bad. Thanks for the answer.

There is no crouchtech in Skullgirls (LP+LK while holding downback won't ever tech a throw, but give you cLP)

Well, I didn't know that, thanks!

Offence in SG is kind of scary.

Indeed!

OP please keep in mind that not everyone uses the black layout for Skullheart:

vGyc3sK.png

I thought this was some kind of modern art at first before realizing there were a ton of invisible words. I can still read this if I highlight the post but it is sort of inconvenient.