• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

How to Stop Ghost Assist Calls?

SugarDots

Reaction score
Steam
sugardots
Ms. Fortune Eliza Robo Fortune
This might sound dumb for a user who plays this game actively for nearly half a year, but I have intense issue with accidental assist calls. I consider myself nearing the Intermediate range; starting to do resets and semi-reliably performing most of the combos I try.

Only nearing Intermediate, though, because this is a big problem. Any time I'm in a 3v3 and have a chance to punish someone with a 60-hit combo or longer with the occasional reset, an assist comes out while I'm typing the first part of the combo. (Before launching.) Obviously, this completely ruins my ability to even "lose with style". Given my 150+ hours in this game, that's kind of embarrassing. Who decided the Assist command doesn't need key binding options? Because I think it does. I'm having to fight 1v3 or 2v3 in the meantime.

However, this doesn't seem to be a common problem for most players, so I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong first. Here's my budget fightin' setup for context: (In mobile/bandwidth friendly format.)

20161014_134036-1.jpg

I use an original S-type Xbox controller, USB modded and running through Ubuntu. (Linux on training wheels, I know, lol.) It's a solid controller and hasn't ever given me problems. No ghosting I can see, no fumbled inputs, etc. The d-pad is as good as it gets for an Xbox controller, and the triggers feel as good as new. I soldered the USB cable directly to its mobo, so it's not going anywhere like with a cheaply rigged home-made adapter.

So if my setup isn't in question, how can I stop myself from accidentally hitting a punch and a kick button during a combo where the input buffer won't work against me? What worked for you, if you had a similar issue? Would replay files be more helpful? And why devs, why no key binding for assists. This is making me more salty than losing spectacularly ever will.

you might be pressing an extra button during combos that might be calling out your assist, or you might still have assist call macros turned on with your right analog stick.

Sounds like you're just hitting too many buttons. Slow down and press things one at a time.

That's the thing, though, I don't mash like I was starting out. I'm only typing these commands in as quickly as I need them to before the opponent can block the next command. (Which can be a pretty tight window to stay inside of, depending on the character.)

Let's say I want to c.LK, c.MK, then c.HP with Ms. Fortune to launch somebody in the air. Sometimes both one kick and a punch button are still pressed together for just a frame or two long enough to pull out an assist and ruin the launcher.

you might be pressing an extra button during combos that might be calling out your assist, or you might still have assist call macros turned on with your right analog stick.

I tried disabling that, because that sounds like something I'd do by accident, and I'm still experiencing this problem. This sucks.

If you're doing 5MK 2HP which would give an assist call you can slow down and it'll still work without calling your assist just fine. SG gives you a million years to confirm pretty much anything and 5MK lasts way longer (it's long enough for you to release MK then hover over HP and it'll still not be done hitting) than anything that would give an accidental assist call.

There are almost never any tight windows in combos OR blockstrings in this game I'd say try seeing how long you can take to do everything so you don't have to feel like you gotta go fast.

like for fortune and robo you get a trillion years to do anything. I dunno about parasoul.

So even though I'm not mashing, the speed I'm typing commands can still be an issue? I would like to feel more relaxed while playing anyway. Friends have recently shown me how useful "Block after first hit" is on CPUs in training mode, so I should see how slow I can go with Ms. Fortune and Robo Fortune later.

As for Parasoul, her playstyle is very slow and deliberate, so I'm already used to that with her. (As well as Eliza, another character I'm learning.) However, I tend to go fast and furious with both meme kitties, even though Robo is much slower than Fortune.

Here's hoping slower inputs cut down on my accidental assist calls. It's really holding me back.

So even though I'm not mashing, the speed I'm typing commands can still be an issue?
If you are getting accidental assist calls you are definitely mashing. Maybe not to the extent that you were when you first started, but that's not something that happens if you have clean inputs.

I'm also willing to bet that if you're having this problem, you also have a problem hit confirming. If your Fortune combo starts with c.LK s.MK c.HP, you should be able to hit confirm the c.LK s.MK part and only go into c.HP if that hits. Go into training mode, set the dummy's blocking to "Random", then do Fortune c.LK s.MK. If it hits go into c.HP, if it's blocked then do nothing. This will help you work on two weak parts of your game at the same time which should help you out a lot.

I slowed down like you guys suggested, and that helped me figure out why I kept accidentally calling assists. It was something more blatant (and probably dumber) than I thought: I caught my finger pulling down on the right trigger for HP as early as c.LK in a combo, and it does this more often than not.

So yes, definitely not clean inputs, mcpeanuts! It looks like I built up a bad habit that needs to go away. Maybe my subconscious was panicking and thinking the move wouldn't connect if I didn't pull the trigger soon enough, I dunno. It might help me to get an Xbox One pad some time, so I can have tactile feedback with its bumper buttons. (The original Xbox pads have those buttons in an uncomfortable position below A and B. They're only useful for macros.)

Now maybe I'll improve once I can do launchers for all the characters I play without that in my way. Thanks for the guidance, guys!