• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Idea for EVO, please help!

Which option do you think is most convenient to do this? (Please read the thread first!)

• Code donations

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • Money donations

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Both

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters

guitalex2007

Reaction score
Steam
guitalex2007
PSN
guitalex2007
XBL
guitalex2010
So here's my silly ass idea. A lot of people aren't willing to try out Skullgirls because there aren't any people playing SG etc. endless circle. So here's my idea. Ideally, it will increase the number of entrants to EVO and also gain some exposure.

IDEA!

We should offer an incentive for players who don't have Skullgirls if they sign up at the door. The best incentive is a copy of the game and a welcoming smile!

So let's say we want to invite 50 players from other games to sign up. If they sign up at the door, they get a Steam code for the game. Since they paid $15 to enter and are getting Skullgirls, it's not more out of pocket than the game alone. We can also help them out with character choices, helping them understand the mechanics during casuals and being awesome. Ideally this will make a fraction of those players want to keep playing, and maybe we'll have a new Virginia/Vegas/SoCal happening somewhere else.

PROBLEM!

This costs money. While normally a copy of SG would be $15, right now through Steam's sale (lasts until June 30), if you buy a 4-pack each copy of the game ends up being roughly $5.63 (much more doable). If you buy a 2-pack, each copy is $6.25 (neat). If you buy the game alone, it's $7.50 or so (still pretty good).

SO WHAT DO WE DO?

I have zero clue. The poll on top of the post asks which option you think is more viable: have people willing to donate copies of the game they bought as gifts through this sale OR having an intermediary collect the money and buy all the copies. There are advantages to each person buying copies to donate; more importantly, if the code isn't given away the player can still give them away at will later. The advantage to one person handling it all is that it's easier for one person to buy all the copies and distribute them, along with making a tiny community pot of SG codes to give away in events/giveaways/etc.

PLEASE VOTE

And I'm aware a lot of people will be against the idea. If you are, I respect that. You're welcome to vote still, but please know that I know this might not even do anything and is risky, etc.

But where else should we take some risks if not in Vegas!?

-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

edit: OK, since code donations are winning by a darn landslide, here's a way to do it!

Go to this website: http://www.fast2play.com/category/2173/skullgirls-steam-gift/ and you can then order steam gift keys. Click on $ on the top so you can see the price in dollars (or whatever currency you want, click on that). After you pay (it accepts Paypal), within 5 minutes you'll receive an e-mail that says "dispatch" containing web links. These web links are what we would need. You can give someone the whole web link or redeem it (if you have SG already it will give you the chance to add it to your gifts and you can send them via Steam or e-mail to whomever).

I can volunteer to keep track using an Excel spreadsheet of all the Steam codes and who donated them. I think the idea is to e-mail the gifts via Steam with a private message telling them the Steam name (or PSN/360/SRK/SH name) of whoever donated the code and a thank you for giving the game a shot.

What do you guys think?

-o-o-o-

Pledged so far: 27 copies, 3 of each DLC

Last edited:
last time we helped guitalex, we got a naked beowulf

I hope everything works fine. Unfortunately, I don't have any way to help because of #poverty, but I totally support this idea.
Well... Beo stick was just for hilarity. This time it's a legitimate attempt to help the community with something OTHER than hilarity.

Some one would have to be in charge of distributing the copies through steam, and would we be gifting DLC as well?

and how do we prevent people from exploiting this by reselling the gifts?

Some one would have to be in charge of distributing the copies through steam, and would we be gifting DLC as well?

and how do we prevent people from exploiting this by reselling the gifts?
DLC is unfortunately additional cost. I'm not even sure you can gift DLC in Steam (pretty sure you can but I've never tried it). I suppose if we do code donations, if people are willing to donate DLC we'll distribute them first come first served.

There is no way to prevent exploiting this and reselling the gifts other than giving the codes to someone everyone knows that hopefully isn't Mike or render so as to not bug them with this. We can't even put it in an online document because everyone who tried to enter it would be able to see the codes. I suppose that's one advantage of money donations.

Is a $5000 pot bonus not enough for these people?

At this rate, fuck 'em.

Is a $5000 pot bonus not enough for these people?

At this rate, fuck 'em.
Not when other games have $40k.

edit: And 10 times the attendance, meaning a bigger pot.

edit2: And locals.

edit3: And a scene.

edit4: And that attitude isn't actually helping at all.

I'm up for offering a couple of copies via Steam Gift (since I don't really have an alternative *sigh*), I'll wait for flash sales though, you never know ! Can't really do much to help the community in general, so I guess this is my chance to help out for once :PUN:

(And yes you can gift DLCs through Steam)

Reactions: Cawtime
Why should I buy someone a game that's so god damn cheap?

Sometimes the game is like 4 friggin dollars.

Four.

Fucking.

Dollars.

It's on them at this point.

If they don't want to pay a measly $4 why would you want to try anymore it's obvious they don't like it.

They can play the game if they enter and if they like it they can buy it themselves.

You can keep the DLC as a gift, i have a few color packs/ squigly unlocks just in case

DLC is unfortunately additional cost. I'm not even sure you can gift DLC in Steam (pretty sure you can but I've never tried it). I suppose if we do code donations, if people are willing to donate DLC we'll distribute them first come first served.

There is no way to prevent exploiting this and reselling the gifts other than giving the codes to someone everyone knows that hopefully isn't Mike or render so as to not bug them with this. We can't even put it in an online document because everyone who tried to enter it would be able to see the codes. I suppose that's one advantage of money donations.

Ah heck I'll help out with this for sure! I've actually been doing this for awhile on steamcompanion.

And a couple notes. You can't buy 2/4 packs if you already own the game, it's a quirk with the Steam system.
You can gift DLC on Steam though, it works just the same as gifting a game.

I don't think codes will work though, I don't recall any way to buy games as codes directly from Steam.
We could use the email gift option in Steam though, just have them give us their email and it should sail smoothly I think.

Reactions: Arnaud_R
You enter the tourney. You show up. You give your email. You receive the free game.

Not sure why that needs explanation.

Also if you want to spend your money fine.

Oh and Broken Loose deletes his post. At least let me correct you, jerk.

Well that sucks.

You can't buy any of the bundles even as gifts if you already own the game. Would I need to make a new account to do that? That's odd.

If you don't own the game, can you gut 4-packs and give them as gifts? Is that a thing? If not, seems like code donations at $7.50 each will have to be it. That's legitimately disappointing.

I don't see any reason why making a new account wouldn't work on buying the 4 pack.
Although keep in mind that one of those games would be automatically applied to your account, so really you'd only get 3 to gift.

You enter the tourney. You show up. You give your email. You receive the free game.

as a mod I can confirm that that was not Brooken Loose who deleted that post

Might as well save that cash for Uzus kickstarter trip to evo

if he gets his fucking visa

Calm down, it's been a long day and I realized the mistake, hence the deletion. I swear, these forums get worse with each passing day. =/

I have no problems throwing money at this game and it's community (the people at Salty can vouch for this). So yeah, I'm down with whatever.

Think of it as my way of making up for not being able to go to EVO myself.

damn, only steam has it on sale right now

i have a spare gamersgate code for skullgirls when it was only $3.75

Calm down, it's been a long day and I realized the mistake, hence the deletion. I swear, these forums get worse with each passing day. =/
I believe you are overreacting. I'm not even mad. I don't know where you got this idea. Maybe you should calm down.

I like your idea but why would people give money to participate in a tournament for a game they've never played and may or may not enjoy after they own it?
Because they may enjoy it.

Reactions: gllt and Flotilla
At the last offline major I went to we got quite a few entrants in Skullgirls because it was free so people who weren't as good didn't have anything to lose for participating

I love the idea of the community bringing in other people, but I feel like celebrity named tourny players don't play for lame reasons other than it doesn't bring in money or the roster. Now i understand people do this for a living so they can't invest too much time but a game with an engine as solid as Skullgirls deserves more attention. I bought the game like 6 times for my friend

Not for nothing, but DLC are also half price at this time. $2.50 each

I voted before reading the the thread. I'm not taking it back.

I love the idea of the community bringing in other people, but I feel like celebrity named tourny players don't play for lame reasons other than it doesn't bring in money or the roster. Now i understand people do this for a living so they can't invest too much time but a game with an engine as solid as Skullgirls deserves more attention. I bought the game like 6 times for my friend
I think the idea is to get anyone interested playing the game, not necessarily the big name players.
Since there's more than just big names at EVO ya know.

OK so that website was amazing.

I think getting code donations might be the easiest way. If not for players of other games, it could also be used to increase our numbers if anyone seems interested in playing. Either way, it helps the community grow.

Now hold on.

Some people might not have PCs that can run the game properly.

Can we get console codes for them?

Updated original post with Steam gift code purchase link.

Now hold on.

Some people might not have PCs that can run the game properly.

Can we get console codes for them?
If you can find a way to buy SG from an online website and get codes, SURE! Especially if you find a sale.

I dont know how good or bad this idea is, but im in total agreement with the sentiment to get more people to play the game.

I just dont know how to really go about that. Marketing seems like the biggest and best way to promote the game.

The only marketing that i could REALLY see doing something for the game is crazy good tutorial videos... I'm talking about stuff on the level of the gg series done by specs and tataki. And after that, most ly just throwing moneys at the pot.

An idea would be to pay... Er "promote" a triple A class player to practice up sg and actually take the time to study and get good at the game. Players tend to follow the greats. Greats tend to follow money in this day and age... Put 2 and 2 together and you get my suggestion. The "promotion" doesnt even have to be a hell of a lot of money. Like 500 to 1000 dollars a month for 6 months. Pays their rent, at least.

Probably a shit idea cause of the logistics involved... But ideas LIKE that are where everything goes eventually. Athletes paid to endorse certain cereals and shoes etc etc etc... Sako joystick. Justin wong to play sg... It could happen the way all these top players are interested in lining their pockets via tournament money and any other endorsement they can get their hands on.

So yeah, just promotions of some kind like what guitalex is proposing is a promotion. also:

GOOD tutorials on how to play every character. What the character is currently doing as a prime strategy, and the easiest bread and butters and stuff to take people from shitty to competetive as fast as possible. Beginner to intermediate guides. These will also serve as way to let people know not just based on aesthetics, what they are getting into when using a character.

If i had any idea how to edit video or anything I'd be willing to do it. As it is, i can write up intermediate guides for many characters. But the formatting... Would suck, hence why ive never attempted it.

I do for one hope sg finds ways to get more people into the game... Its really deserving of a wider audience.

@Tomo009 is "writing up" a Double video but I put that in quotations because all it is right now is random info on a google doc.

I'm in the process of making a Intermediate Valentine guide, a guide for people who know how to play FGs but not SG.

I've got most of the core information down but at the moment I'm lacking combos and MU info.

Reactions: Dime
Alright I got 6 copies of Skullgirls gifts, working on getting more, but that's what I got so far!

Oh and question, how exactly is the email collection going to work?

Uh... What’s to keep the purchaser from giving a copy away to someone else before the Evo recipient might be able to claim it on steam. I still have a copy of Bejeweled 2 in my inventory that my mother never claimed in the 2 years since it was sent to her, but I’m pretty sure that you can give something to some else within a week if there’s even a restriction at all.

It’s starting to seem like a bad idea to have a bunch of different people donate codes if things are relying on just the honor system.

Uh... What’s to keep the purchaser from giving a copy away to someone else before the Evo recipient might be able to claim it on steam. I still have a copy of Bejeweled 2 in my inventory that my mother never claimed in the 2 years since it was sent to her, but I’m pretty sure that you can give something to some else within a week if there’s even a restriction at all.

It’s starting to seem like a bad idea to have a bunch of different people donate codes if things are relying on just the honor system.
The gifts would be given to one person who would keep track of them so they are not given to two people. Once the gift has been given on Steam the codes can't be redeemed again. The details are still getting ironed out.

Steam gifts can be given forward if they don't want them, or sold to make the money back from participating. Who cares though? They still tried the game and entered the tournament for free at that point, but exposure is the point.

I had the idea thar maybe the owners of the codes could decide also if the codes were to be given exclusively to participants or if they wanted to donate them to people who learned about Skullgirls from EVO casuals (maybe setting up a "try skullgirls" station for example).

this is a great idea but its too bad there may not be an easy way to get console DL codes. nevermind the fact they are full price atm.

The gifts would be given to one person who would keep track of them so they are not given to two people. Once the gift has been given on Steam the codes can't be redeemed again. The details are still getting ironed out.

I’m worried about purchasers changing their mind and giving away the code after sending it to person tracking them, but before the recipient claims them. I haven’t received a gift on steam in quite some time. Can the person in the middle ( the tracker/organizer/whatever ) prevent the first person from screwing over the third person?

My biggest concern is that the tracker will hand the code over thinking everything is okay, but then get blamed when it doesn’t work and having to deal with a bunch of people calling it a scam.

What about giving people a demo? Make the game free for a small amount of time (say a week or two) so that they get a chance to play it. When people getting something for free, they're more likely to use it. The reason i bought skullgirls in the first place is because psn had an Indie sell and i thought "why not?" Just give them a chance to play and if they like it they'll come back for more.

I’m worried about purchasers changing their mind and giving away the code after sending it to person tracking them, but before the recipient claims them. I haven’t received a gift on steam in quite some time. Can the person in the middle ( the tracker/organizer/whatever ) prevent the first person from screwing over the third person?

My biggest concern is that the tracker will hand the code over thinking everything is okay, but then get blamed when it doesn’t work and having to deal with a bunch of people calling it a scam.
I understand what you mean. Steam gifts are a transfer from the original purchaser's inventory to the target (ideally, the middle person who will be keeping track of them). Once that initial transfer is done, the first person has no rights to it and can't change their mind.

Once EVO is over, if anyone wants their gift copies back the middle person has to resend the game as a gift to the original purchaser, and once he does that the middle man can't even try to send it out because it's not in their inventory.

Reactions: OldOnyxBones