• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

I'll get there, eventually

LittlePrinceRex

Amateur Bird and Cat Lover
Reaction score
Steam
LittlePrinceRex
Eliza
I figure it wouldn't be a terrible idea to start one of these here. A good way to keep track of my progress and let people comment on it if they want. I'll probably mostly upload my videos here and make notes on things I think I should do. I'm focusing on a solo Eliza right now, but once I get good enough I'll probably add a second character, either Valentine or Ms. Fortune (I don't imagine that'll be for a while tho).

I'll start with this:

Things I need to work on, in order of importance imo:
-Hitting the right buttons in the first place
-Cleaning up my inputs
-Stay calm enough in battle to actually use combos
-Calm down with the random heavy attacks that are constantly getting punished (especially those random s.HKs)
-Learning some longer combos
-Consistency in executing what I already know​

Last edited:
I doubt I'll update this very regularly, but I'll probably record most of my matches and post them on YouTube.

In any case, this edition of I'll get there, eventually brings: me get absolutely bodied 3 times in a row because I'm terrible at defending myself (plus Eliza doesn't have much to defend herself with in the first place).

The dude's name was 3-0| and they 3-0'd me and left. What a guy.

Regarding my defense:
-Get better at following up after pushblocks.
-Don't give up an opening by trying to pull off something like c.HK (as I did at least once).
-While I didn't initially expect the repeated burst baits, you can probably see I stopped falling for them mostly, only to do nothing but lay on the ground and start getting beat again once I got back up. I'm sure there are plenty of better alternatives.​

You often tried to press a button at mid-range when Filia had the advantage, and when you didn't you blocked low. They did the same thing every time: instant airdash overhead.

Eliza has poor footsies anyway, Filia could have stuffed you by just pressing Medium Punch. Exceeept for Upper Khat, which leads to a jump-cancel combo. It might work in disadvantage too, but it's a weird reversal.

Reactions: ???
You often tried to press a button at mid-range when Filia had the advantage, and when you didn't you blocked low. They did the same thing every time: instant airdash overhead.

Eliza has poor footsies anyway, Filia could have stuffed you by just pressing Medium Punch. Exceeept for Upper Khat, which leads to a jump-cancel combo. It might work in disadvantage too, but it's a weird reversal.

I assume my ability to recognize my own options and what the other player's options are will get better with time/more and more games, yeah?

I feel like that's a major issue for me too, I don't really know enough about the other characters to know exactly what works for them/me and what doesn't (various matchups and other characters' moves in general). Is there a better way for me to learn that stuff or is the answer literally just keep playing?

So that player... is me! (In game, it looks like 3-O | ???)

I just came across @LittlePrinceRex on QMs just out of coincidence, and I usually play Filia to gauge where my opponent is at when I don't recognize the name. Most times, I go solo Filia.

The repeated burst baits was threefold:
  1. Does this player mash?
  2. Will they respond correctly after a repeated pattern? [E.G. Does this player adapt to the situation presented?]
  3. How will they respond after correctly blocking?
I do this to actually teach the other player (usually a newer player) a mechanic of the game, about blocking, and about patience all in one pattern. Most times, they don't pick up on the pattern; they continually press the buttons to their heart's desire and get the blue burst every time, and then they run off after we queue up again.

Which I can understand. But really, I'm doing it for your benefit, not to be mean =].

Generally, focus on blocking. It may seem like the most obvious thing to do (like a "duh" moment), but many new players just focus on pressing all the buttons rather than just holding their stick/key/dpad back to block. This game is about waiting for your turn (most of the time) and then responding rock/paper/scissors style.

That's why we emphasize defense for beginners during Get Gr8. Don't press buttons too often, focus on blocking, eventually get pushblocking into your system and then learn a full combo so that you can proceed into intermeds.

I assume my ability to recognize my own options and what the other player's options are will get better with time/more and more games, yeah?

Is there a better way for me to learn that stuff or is the answer literally just keep playing?

Yes. Playing more games with people of your skill level and higher will help you understand what both you and your opponent's options are. It also helps to look through some tutorial videos and going through the in-game tutorial as well. It teaches you tons about the functions of the game in a clear and concise way, and if there's something you don't entirely understand, you can ask others to help you explain it in a better way!

Also, watching other people play your character can be extremely beneficial. It helps to know what you're looking at and what options that player is exploring throughout the match... which is also why I love mirror matches. You learn more about yourself, the character and your opponent.

Last edited:
Reactions: LittlePrinceRex
Oh, woops, forgot to reply to this.

I feel like that's a major issue for me too, I don't really know enough about the other characters to know exactly what works for them/me and what doesn't (various matchups and other characters' moves in general). Is there a better way for me to learn that stuff or is the answer literally just keep playing?
Yeah, you have to keep playing to figure stuff out. But watching others is also a big help, because they'll do conversions off of hits that you didn't know were possible.

Problem is I don't really know any other Eliza players. BlueFeena plays in the Skullgirls Slapfest casuals (generally on Tuesday nights, they have a Twitch channel, and a Steam group that gives a notification every week) and is pretty good, that's how I learned I could combo max-range Upper Khat into j.MK into other stuff (a good one is Sekhmet's Kartouche).

But that's a little ahead anyway, big thing to do first is practice basic combos more and get used to the spacing on various moves.

Hm... why don't you watch this? I was going to start talking about hitboxes and hurtboxes and remembered it.

After almost 2 weeks of mostly inactivity on Skullgirls due to a wrist issue and a broken laptop, I'm slowly getting back into it.

After working on this BnB for a bit, I think I've finally figured out the timing for chaining the c.HK after the c.LK > c.MK > Dive of Horus. The whole concept of "OTG" attacks and stuff is a bit weird to me but I think I more or less understand it enough. I just need to work on getting consistent at being able to quickly execute the DP to cancel into h.Upper Khat, and once I can do that I'll start to work on the follow-up with the chain of air attacks.

(Also thanks for the tips @HiroProtagonest and @???)

So I finally got the chance to participate in Get Gr8 today, and while I was nervous and did about as well as I expected, I did have fun and it was definitely a learning experience that I'll sign up for again when I have the chance.

The feedback in the video's pretty helpful, I'll definitely work on ending my blockstrings with something safe. I don't think it's the intermediate+ level theory that really holds me back, I understand the concepts of frame data, land cancelling, etc., I think it's really just my execution that needs a lot of work. That lvl.3 use at 50:58 in the video was definitely a mistake, I wasn't paying attention to health and I instantly regretted it (which is ofc why I cut it off asap).

One thing that I can't really get better with in the training room of course is my nerves. I was beyond nervous for that set (and any non-random set), so I did a whole lot of mis-inputs (which is why I did so many m Spirals, a move that I literally never use otherwise). I can almost pull off a full 240 undizzy in training but my hands were pretty much shaking with the pressure, so I could hardly even get past the c.HP > Horus, lmao. I guess I'll just have to keep playing.

My practice is super inconsistent, with the inability to play long sessions and long bouts of inactivity in between that can only be attributed to either extreme laziness or actual clinical depression (unlikely, but at the same time not really). I dunno, I'll get there eventually.
:PUN:

...I was beyond nervous for that set (and any non-random set), so I did a whole lot of mis-inputs (which is why I did so many m Spirals, a move that I literally never use otherwise). I can almost pull off a full 240 undizzy in training but my hands were pretty much shaking with the pressure, so I could hardly even get past the c.HP > Horus, lmao.

...My practice is super inconsistent, with the inability to play long sessions and long bouts of inactivity in between that can only be attributed to either extreme laziness or actual clinical depression (unlikely, but at the same time not really). I dunno, I'll get there eventually.
:PUN:

So, there's definitely one thing you should do: play long sessions. FT20s definitely help with the nervousness, and it only gets better after playing for long periods of time. You'll get more comfortable after a while. It does help to practice, but don't worry about constraining yourself to some sort of schedule or something. Practice at your own pace!