• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Incoming Mixups

Lex

Skill pending
Reaction score
Steam
Lex
PSN
Ilexyellowdog
Ms. Fortune Valentine Double
So I thought it might be useful to have a thread to share and talk about incoming mixups as they are a pretty big part of Skullgirls.

So here's a couple of incoming mixups I like to use;
Cerebella
-HP, MGR. Blockstun ends after the HP as the opponent lands leaving them open to grab immediately. Quite meaty but obviously vulnerable to air supers.
Valentine
-
j.HK This is very meaty (vulnerable to certain air super) and allows for instant pressure afterwards with ADC into grab, j.MP, etc. You can also cancel it in its start-up frames and air dash in to grab (grab can be comboed off of in the corner with scalpels or dead cross but not midscreen I believe apart from maybe Big Band). If the j.HK lands it can also lead into a further combo.
-HK, Mortuary drop (I haven't tested this one much yet and, if it works, I think HP would be better than HK). Same principle as Bella's one.

Feel free to post your own mixups or ways to deal with mixups below :)

With Big Band, in the corner you can dash under and do c.MK which crosses under. Midscreen you can dash over the corpse then M A-Train the opposite direction (this does not work on the same person more than once).

As Peacock if I can charge an item to level 2 I like to do that and drop it as they're coming in. It's really safe and you can make it pretty ambiguous. If I can't charge an item then I usually don't even bother with a mixup, I just run away and zone.

Haven't found anything good for Robo yet.

Any character who has an air normal that can stuff airthrow can do airgrab/hit 50/50s. As for character specific stuff I know:

Filia: As they come in, use s.hp, moving slightly forward towards the corner after the opponent has appeared on the screen can make it crossunder.

Eliza: s.mp xx Dive of Horus, if you've seen decent Eliza players you've seen this one, same concept as Filia where she can move slightly forward into the corner to make it a crossup so you have to guess.

Big Band: Like peanuts said, c.mk in the corner will cross up if you again move towards the corner as they come in. (Every character probably has incomings with this concept but these are just the ones I know of that people use.) I've also seen Alexo do s.mk whiff to move him forward (i.e. behind the opponent coming in) and then do a beat extend which crosses under. You can position yourself (as you can with all the crossunder ones btw) so that it doesn't actually crossunder to make it 50/50 but this mixup is very unsafe if they guess the right side (because beat extend)

As Painwheel vs. Characters doing stuff on entry: Jump at them > charge j.HP outside of airthrow range > call DP assist > Refly > Unfly > Pressure

Mixup with Fakeout DP Assist + Air Throw and crossunder setups as yomi dictates.

The first protects you from a lot of entry options involving super mash, while the 2nd connects when they're worried about the first setup.

Reactions: Mao
As peacock in the corner i charge item then super jump j.hk, mk.george, then decide to crossup item drop or not. mk.george can let you teleport/jump back out the corner if you crossup into the corner and its blocked. if i kill with something else like argus instead of super jumping instant air j.hk works if you can button dash while holding mp.

As peacock in the corner i charge item then super jump j.hk, mk.george, then decide to crossup item drop or not. mk.george can let you teleport/jump back out the corner if you crossup into the corner and its blocked. if i kill with something else like argus instead of super jumping instant air j.hk works if you can button dash while holding mp.
Wow this sounds powerful. Do you have a video of it?

My incoming with Val is to stand under the sweet spot and then dash sLP sLP sLP did any of it hit? cHP.

Yep. Nothing fancy here yet. Thanks for the ideas with jHK/sHK/sHP.

If your character has a command throw, you can do H > command throw.

fortune s.hk on incoming is pretty hilarious.

It also loses to Double fridge on incoming. I'm sure Taluda remembers that well. :^)

haha i missed this, when was it?

Wasn't at any tourney or on stream or anything, just he tried to do Fortune sHK to me on incoming during some netplay casuals and I was like, hmm, y'know I'm just gonna fridge, lol.

Reactions: GrunkleBarlowe
I have a ton of Fukua ones so I'll list a few:
Midscreen
Go to the middle of the screen and you have the following options:
1. s.mk, l shadow (hits other side low)
2. s.mk, h shadow (hits other side high)
3. l shadow (hits low)
4. h shadow (hits high)

From a little bit from the middle of the screen
1. wait for the opponent to come in and s.mk, tender embrace
2. c.hp as they come down, tender embrace
3. jump up as they come down j.mk cross up
4. c.hk call assist
5. run forward jump grab
6. do nothing and bait mash

Corner
Non assist setups
1. jump grab
2. c.hp, tender embrace
3. about a fourth away from corner s.mk l shadow
4. c.hk, h or l shadow
5. go all the way to corner jump back grab

There are many more but I'm not going to list all of them

I'll provide the fukua corner ones.

C.mp, s.hp: can cross up and uncrossup depending on timing but also loses to Double jump.
C.hp, Cmd grab
SJ. j.hk: can cross up and uncrossup and beats people trying to throw tech.

Midscreen: s.mk, H fireball, BFF. can uncrossup at any time.

Did a bit of testing with Val's HK/HP into command grab, it works but it's slower than Bella's and people won't fall for it twice (and it is really unsafe unless cancelled into counter).

But, assist call into low/throw works really well (and if you're in the corner, you can mix-up which side the assist hits usually (characters with command throws can also use those). All characters can do this mix up.