• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Inconsistencies, Contradictions, or Nonsense in Canon

LKArtillery

do you think this is a f*ing game
Reaction score
Steam
lkartillery
XBL
LuckyArtillery
Peacock
This thread's for any moments you might have where if something in the SG lore strikes you as off, you can say it. Whether it's something that just doesn't make sense, or something that seems self-contradictory, you can discuss your concerns in here.

Why am I making it? Rommelgrad. Or, more specifically, the status of what Rommelgrad actually is. Let me explain. Marie's profile in the Indiegogo character profiles reads:

The current Skullgirl who rose from the ashes of the Grand War. Her country of Rommelgrad fell into anarchy, becoming part of the growing No Man's Land. As she focuses her wrath on those who prey on its victims, the full extent of her power remains unknown...

While in an interview with Alex Ahad, he stated Rommelgrad to be Peacock and Marie's "hometown". So, which is it? A town or a country? Only time and more storymodes will tell. Maybe. Hopefully.

Got anything about the lore that's bugged you? Go ahead and speak.

I don't know if this would be considered an inconsistency, but I'm honestly surprised that there isn't a massive case of gynophobia in the Skullgirls world. Alex said the fear of the Skullgirl is similar to that of historical witch hunts, but I'd imagine the real threat of the Skullgirl would have a more significant cultural impact than that. When the Skullheart appears, basically every woman on the planet becomes like a dormant volcano.

On the flipside, it's also strange that more countries wouldn't want to raise their female populations to deliberately, and aggressively find the Skullheart. For these women, becoming the Skullgirl would be like an act of patriotism, and the ensuing destruction could be targeted (initially, anyway) at specific locations. I mean, just imagine how life would be in the real world if nuclear weapons could only be activated by a woman's touch!

But then, when it comes to gender, I also wonder about the impact of the church in the Skullgirls world. Since the people worship goddesses, there might actually be doctrines in the Trinity's teachings that dictate a positive treatment of women. If so, then could the Skullgirl's wrath be considered divine retribution for society's ignorance of those doctrines? Maybe the deeper the corruption of men, the stronger the Skullgirl becomes? Of course, this notion would make the Trinity's direct involvement with the Skullheart seem more like the result of impatience, rather than prudence. It would also make Marie seem like the perfect model of a Skullgirl, even though she apparently isn't.

Anyway, all of this long-winded speculation can only lead us to one inevitable conclusion. Barack Obama is a Skullgirl.

When you put it like that, I can see why Alex would have said there's still a misogynistic attitude that carries over in society despite there being so many female characters that are in positions of power. If there were a relic in our world that any woman could use as a weapon of mass destruction as long as she got her hands on it, needless to say there'd be huge consequences.

About the Heart: Wasn't it said its power has been slowly but steadily increasing over time? I believe that was mentioned in Annie-related things. It seems odd for it to be related to the "corruption of men" when I doubt that's a value that's just steadily increasing at a flat rate over the years, and varies from man to man, too.

Maybe the Heart may have a lot of "dormant" power that is only unlocked by the consequences of the person's wish? Like, if you make a minor wish, you become a weaker Skullgirl to begin with, but if it's one that will have a huge impact you'll get to start out with a huge amount of power right off the bat.

So that might be why Nancy was so incredibly destructive, but Marie doesn't seem to be as strong despite coming afterwards--she started out with a smaller wish, and so her power may just need time and room to grow. Could it eventually eclipse Nancy's with continued use? Maybe. Who knows.

On the note of the Skull Heart and the Trinity, I have wondered: why would people would bury their dead if they know there's going to be a superpowered necromancer coming around every 7 years to raise those corpses? Wouldn't it be safer to just cremate the bodies?

I suppose it wouldn't be too farfetched to suggest that's another thing that the Trinity controls; if the dominant religion dictates you bury your dead, even in the face of logic that suggests this is a really bad idea, then people will still probably do it. :P Well, that and it may also be a rule that's enforced. Having doctrines that say things like "cremation is sacreligious" would ultimately result in the Skullgirl having more ammo to work with when the time comes.

I know I put in another related to lore, but Double's quote to Cerebella is "You dare stand before me, betrayer?" I am not sure if the quote is really for Valentine or if there is something that Cerebella did that we do not know.

Assuming it wasn't Marie trying to fool Cerebella into wishing on the Skullheart (which, given Marie's characterization, seems unlikely):

Cerebella being the only one "pure" enough to wish on the Skullheart without becoming the next Skullgirl.

I understand that Cerebella's actions under Vitale Medici were not performed under any hatred or desire to harm, and she did regret murdering Ms. Fortune, but I simply cannot see a Mob Leg Breaker as "pure". Assuming "pure" in this context is defined as "free from moral guilt or fault". Cerebella's actions are not free from moral guilt or fault.

If the idea of Cerebella's purity was explored or explained further, or we were shown what exactly counts as "pure" to the Skullheart, it could have made for an interesting twist, but it is not explored at all. Moreover, there was no actual effect on the plot from this revelation. Why did Marie tell her this? None of Cerebella's actions were affected by this knowledge, so it did not have any real reason to be brought up in the first place.

Reactions: LKArtillery
Assuming it wasn't Marie trying to fool Cerebella into wishing on the Skullheart (which, given Marie's characterization, seems unlikely):

Cerebella being the only one "pure" enough to wish on the Skullheart without becoming the next Skullgirl.

I understand that Cerebella's actions under Vitale Medici were not performed under any hatred or desire to harm, and she did regret murdering Ms. Fortune, but I simply cannot see a Mob Leg Breaker as "pure". Assuming "pure" in this context is defined as "free from moral guilt or fault". Cerebella's actions are not free from moral guilt or fault.

If the idea of Cerebella's purity was explored or explained further, or we were shown what exactly counts as "pure" to the Skullheart, it could have made for an interesting twist, but it is not explored at all. Moreover, there was no actual effect on the plot from this revelation. Why did Marie tell her this? None of Cerebella's actions were affected by this knowledge, so it did not have any real reason to be brought up in the first place.

I think Marie meant it more in the sense that she's actually a decent person at heart and hasn't been corrupted by the Medici she considers family.

It confused me for a long time too, but Alex said in one of the lore interviews that there's never been someone who has been able to use the Skull Heart without becoming a Skullgirl. The very act of wishing is inherently selfish, therefore the Skull Heart can judge anyone as "impure" just by them using it.

This may just be a misconception we all had based on some poorly-worded dialogue in the storymode; Cerebella isn't exempt from becoming the Skullgirl if she used the Skull Heart. (Maybe they ought to avoid usage of the word "pure" from now on to avoid further logical snafus?)

Reactions: juju_for_president
Maybe the Heart may have a lot of "dormant" power that is only unlocked by the consequences of the person's wish? Like, if you make a minor wish, you become a weaker Skullgirl to begin with, but if it's one that will have a huge impact you'll get to start out with a huge amount of power right off the bat.

So that might be why Nancy was so incredibly destructive, but Marie doesn't seem to be as strong despite coming afterwards--she started out with a smaller wish, and so her power may just need time and room to grow. Could it eventually eclipse Nancy's with continued use? Maybe. Who knows.
Annie confirmed to have only killed crappy, bottom-tier Skullgirls. *Fraud detection warning!* :3
But I do wonder if the Skullgirl's power is connected to her "creativity". I mean, does the "newly-born" Skullgirl immediately know how to get shit #REKT with her powers or is just gonna sit there wondering "OK, now what am I supposed to do?"

As for Marie, I think she resists the full corruption by keeping her destructive powers focused; id est, Medici and co. I think that as long as she ONLY wants to off her sworn enemies, she can maintain some degree of control. If anything, it would be better to let her do her thing because sending someone she has no beef with to finish her off might just make her lose her cool and maybe go berserk for good. On that note, it's surprising she dealt with The Last Hope and still kept the corruption in check.

The Skullheart just has a really effed up moral compass.

I was going to reply but then I was like,
WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg

It's been explained that Cerebella isn't, "pure," in the simple way most people would think of the word. She's pure in the sense that she does all her leg-breaking out of a sense of duty and need for approval. She has family that asks her to do things, and in turn, she gets acceptance and love from that family. She isn't interested in personal gain related to her actions.

She was raised from birth by the mafia. Unlike others that came into the game for money or power, it's the only life she knows. Casual violence has been a constant part of her life. It's also worth mentioning that she's likely never killed anyone before her (non-canon) ending.

I remember in Parasoul's story, Double tells PS that Umbrella's energy was draining unless someone took her place or Umbrella become a Skullgirl herself. At the end of the story, Parasoul states she can't shoot the Heart because Umbrella's close to it, so Parasoul wishes Umbrella never becomes the Skullgirl.
1. Why would Parasoul destroy the Skullheart if she knew her sister would die without it?
2. If #1 wasn't the case, why didn't Parasoul just take away the Skullheart and shoot it in another area?
3. If #1 wasn't the case, did Double simply lie?(Maybe)
4. Did the Skullheart lie to Parasoul?(Wishes are something subjective)
Edit: It also occured to me that a wiki entry for Venus stated she was in her 20s, which is weird because she's a goddess.(But of course I'm aware anyone can edit a wiki, but I still wonder)

Last edited:
It's been explained that Cerebella isn't, "pure," in the simple way most people would think of the word. She's pure in the sense that she does all her leg-breaking out of a sense of duty and need for approval. She has family that asks her to do things, and in turn, she gets acceptance and love from that family. She isn't interested in personal gain related to her actions.

She was raised from birth by the mafia. Unlike others that came into the game for money or power, it's the only life she knows. Casual violence has been a constant part of her life. It's also worth mentioning that she's likely never killed anyone before her (non-canon) ending.
Personally, I believe that, while a sense of duty and/or setting could possibly justify her leg breaking side-career, her desire for attention and approval do not. Her need to please Vitale strikes me as a selfish motivation, and her story mode ending really seems to support that. If that is true, and part of her actions are fueled by a personal desire, I cannot agree that she is pure by any definition but that of the most "effed up moral compass".

Reactions: Balder
It also occured to me that a wiki entry for Venus stated she was in her 20s, which is weird because she's a goddess.(But of course I'm aware anyone can edit a wiki, but I still wonder)
As a rule of thumb, don't take anything from the wiki for granted. It has errors here and there.

Personally, I believe that, while a sense of duty and/or setting could possibly justify her leg breaking side-career, her desire for attention and approval do not. Her need to please Vitale strikes me as a selfish motivation, and her story mode ending really seems to support that. If that is true, and part of her actions are fueled by a personal desire, I cannot agree that she is pure by any definition but that of the most "effed up moral compass".
The need for love and acceptance is selfish? :(

I'm glad Mike is at least enough of a lore stickler to realize Samson sexually harassing Filia made no goddamn sense whatsoever.

Is what she gets from Vitale really "love" though? What I believe is selfish about Cerebella is seeking, not acceptance or love, but attention. I always thought that Cerebella's character flaw was her less-than healthy need for attention, which she sought through her role as a circus performer and her following the orders of Vitale.

Strictly speaking, yes--it's not a selfless need, per se. However, just because it's selfish in a manner of speaking doesn't necessarily make it a negative trait.

I can agree with what Juju said above, to a degree, though I think it's all three things that are what Bella is looking for. She has an unhealthy desire for attention, but she also genuinely needs a loving parental figure, something Vitale isn't giving her. He's using her, but she probably thinks that's because she isn't doing good enough. Which is what drives her to go to such lengths for his approval.

Reactions: juju_for_president

Wasn't Ms. Fortune in sort of the same situation? Can she also be considered "pure"?

Wasn't Ms. Fortune in sort of the same situation? Can she also be considered "pure"?

In the "not a bad person" sense, sure.

But I think the major difference here is that Ms. Fortune's gang was more like a band of Robin Hoods (steal from rich, give to poor, folk hero criminal types) whereas the Medici gang Cerebella was raised by is a group (mostly) composed of morally devoid, black-hearted, wholly evil people who build their empire on the suffering of others.

Like I explained a few posts above, though, no one is actually pure enough for the Skull Heart and its impossible standards. If that's what you were referring to.

Since Nadia was out for revenge, I guess she wouldn't be considered "pure".
Skullheart has absolutely no sense of context.

Reactions: LKArtillery and Kai
I'd like to point out that Alex has also said that the Skull Heart is basically a giant monkey's paw that wants people to wish on it so it can fuck things up

If I was a Skull Heart I would totally tell everyone who came by that they are totaaaally pure and stuff

About the Rommelgrad thing in the original post, here is what I said about it in another thread.

I assume that Rommelgrad was a country with a leader and a government at some point, but fell into anarchy during the War, so it's basically just a town now. A country could be quite small and a town could be quite big.

Take into account though that Alex is just one guy and he's bound to make mistakes here and there. As a general rule, I'd put more trust in written materials in official background materials and story mode since it would have been cross-checked by other writers. Something he says to vocal questions could be mistaken in some minor details. Remember that he's not the only person writing Skullgirls lore as well.

About the Rommelgrad thing in the original post, here is what I said about it in another thread.

Take into account though that Alex is just one guy and he's bound to make mistakes here and there. As a general rule, I'd put more trust in written materials in official background materials and story mode since it would have been cross-checked by other writers. Something he says to vocal questions could be mistaken in some minor details. Remember that he's not the only person writing Skullgirls lore as well.

Yeah, that's true. I think it's just a tendency of mine to be a really huge stickler for rock solid canon, and it's a little frustrating to me that this game clearly has some really cool worldbuilding behind it but that the canon info is kind of just a huge snarl of hopefully-reliable word of god! ;-;

It doesn't help that people just love to throw fanon into the mix, too. It's one thing when someone posts a theory or something that's a reasonable educated guess based on existing canon info, but some speculation is just pulled completely out of people's asses and it makes discussing actually relevant things difficult.

I feel like some kind of SG bible on the official site would be a pretty neat thing to have. Just a compilation of all the background/worldbuilding info in a format that makes it clear and concise. In lieu of it being implemented into the actual game I assume... time, resource and money constraints would probably make putting something like that in difficult on the poor dev team.

Pretty sure Alex mentioned that videogames don't normally exist in the Skullgirls verse, and that Aeon gets them from alternate timelines. Well, if that's the case, why do both Peacock (taunt) and Ms. Victoria ("she prides herself on her vast knowledge of fighting games") know about video games?

Pretty sure Alex mentioned that videogames don't normally exist in the Skullgirls verse, and that Aeon gets them from alternate timelines. Well, if that's the case, why do both Peacock (taunt) and Ms. Victoria ("she prides herself on her vast knowledge of fighting games") know about video games?

Peacock gets a pass because she's a wacky cartoon, fourth wall-breaking is part of the standard repertoire.

Mrs. Victoria, on the other hand, uh... yeah, that's an excellent question that I do not have an answer to. P:

and Ms. Victoria ("she prides herself on her vast knowledge of fighting games") know about video games?

Well, I guess you could technically call any fighting sport that is played for fun a "game". It just so happens that the techniques she teaches have overlap in fighting video games.

Ms. Victoria plays the UFS card game versions. :PUN: