• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report Inside Look at the Creation of Eliza's Stage

Cellsai

BEEP BOOP BAN
Reaction score
Website
askminette.tumblr.com
Valentine Cerebella
Eliza stage banner.png
As Eliza continues her steady crawl towards release I'm sure plenty of you are chomping at the bit for more information on the vampiric diva. One of Eliza's stages, The Bath of Tefnut has been revealed and fully playable for a long time in the PC beta, but some of you may be interested in seeing how a stage like that actually comes about in Skullgirls.

Willy Hwang has been involved with Skullgirls off and on for a long time and has penned several of the stages already in the game. From time to time Willy posts selections of concept art for stages he has worked on, showing their development from Alex's initial sketches to final drafts. Recently, he turned his attention to Eliza's private bath.

Of extra interest is that Bath of Tefnut is the first stage Willy has modeled in 3d entirely by himself and he has documented that entire process. For any of you curious as to how Skullgirls takes its ornately painted stages into three dimensions should definitely take a look!

[prebreak]Check out a sampling of Willy's concepts below![/prebreak]
Alex original.jpg

Alex initially makes some very loose sketches of his concept for the stage. This is one of them that remained remarkably intact until the end of the whole design process.

willy sketch.jpg

Willy often takes very different directions from the initial sketches before a final design is settled on. This is one of the many alternate treatments Willy explored.

060614-sg-Bathhouse.jpg

The final stage in all its majesty as it appears before Willy expands it into 3 dimensions. Apparently the monoliths read something along the lines of "Eliza rules and everybody else drools".

progress gif.gif

A timelapse of the eventual 3D construction of the stage, which Willy goes through in full detail on his blog.​

This is just a very brief overview of the work that went into making the stage, so be sure to check out his blog for the full set of images and his descriptions of the process.

Eliza is planned to drop with at least two stages whenever she finally releases, so let's hope Willy has more of these development blogs lined up in the future! Also, do yourself a favor and check out the Little Innsmouth sketches on his portfolio. The detail put into each of the different street level views borders on the ridiculous.

Last edited:
No one said anything about two stages

I try to only ever make mentions of stuff that I can actually link sources to. Check the link in that statement!
Aww sorry I don goofed D:

Does the bloody version of Eliza's Bathhouse count as a separate stage?

So is there a sneak peak of the second stage by any chance? :)
4zC6vfk.jpg

Reactions: erkicman
4zC6vfk.jpg
Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about.

Reactions: ink_deer
It's gonna get bloody.... yaaaaaayyyyy. I'm so hyp-whocares.pngoh wait. nvm.

Plz come Beo and Robo-Kitten. I need you two.

I want to see the Wrestling Ring and Lab Zero in their full 3d form.

I love the stages when they are in 3d. so pretty to look at. Thanks Willy.

does empty lab 8 and innsmouth at night count as separate stages? the answer is probably the same for all of them

I would freaking love Beo's stage to be in the wrestling ring so much, but the blood would be just as good for now.

does empty lab 8 and innsmouth at night count as separate stages? the answer is probably the same for all of them
That doesn't answer my question.
Yes? I'm guessing yes.

That doesn't answer my question.
Yes? I'm guessing yes.
most likely, are you trying to ask if it would be like under the bridge and have different forms based off of how many times you played?

No, I meant what I said.
If so then that would be the second stage that everyone is talking about, simple.

No, I meant what I said.
If so then that would be the second stage that everyone is talking about, simple.
got ya, whoops I totally misinterpreted everything you said, sorry about that

No, I meant what I said.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110375329&postcount=8472

Mr.X said:
Making a safe bet on the 2nd stage being an alternate of Eliza's stage but with blood in the pool and stuff.
---
Ravidrath said:
I wouldn't call that a "new" stage.
Ravidrath said:
I'd probably call Rooftops Assault a "new" stage because the work that went into it was pretty significant, and it got new music.

Last edited:
Well I guess we just wait and see.

Seems so.
My crazy guess is that Eliza's story won't end with Marie and that place might be where the story's final battle takes place. She stomps Marie, takes the Skullheart, uses it as a key and while all Hell is literally breaking loose, Filia and Squigly barge in (final battle against them, each with buffed stats and AI) and get unceremoniously stomped. ~Fin

Well, I never had anyone from Lab Zero telling me to stop clairvoyantly spoiling the story, so I'm sure this is as remarkably erroneous as any of my other guesses. :3

Reactions: ink_deer
Well conversely, if Lab Zero steps in to prevent your clairvoyant journey then that would mean it's true, anyways this stage sounds hella awesome with awesome music

Props to @Balder 's espionage data gathering skills

I appreciate the consideration but I can't take credit for that. (__)

This talk of alternate Bath of Tefnut and a possible new stage happened over L0's Anime Expo panel in July. While showing the progress on Eliza, there was a very quick peek of the alternate Bath of Tefnut (the screencap posted by Muro in post #8, which I took after chickenwithtie pointed out said stage was shown) and the list I posted in post #21 was brought to everyone's attention by Simon.

Hey guyz
Might have even more evidence on this Gehenna stage

image.jpg

Screen capped during some LZ work stream can't remember
Took this pic a bit after EVO meaning to ask some LZ dude or dudette what the heck it is
Now that I think about it
Could be Gehenna

Mod Edit: Added spoilers on the image. Hypothesizing about stuff is fine, but try not to smear gigantic possible spoilers in people's faces.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like the inside of double. you know sorta like gluttony from FMA Brotherhood.
It would be really cool if Eliza's story involves her! She's my favorite besides Double

:)

If Bloodbath of Tefnut is not considered a new stage...

uFCmWCB.jpg

...I guess this "Gehenna" could be a hint. (Boss Eliza stage yo!)
What's falling wreckage?

Final Atrium, aka Marie boss stage.

Hey guyz
Might have even more evidence on this Gehenna stage

View attachment 5887

Took this pic a bit after EVO meaning to ask some LZ dude or dudette what the heck it is
Could be Gehenna
That looks so cool...

Could be Gehenna

But instead of asking someone from LZ you just posted it here without even a spoiler tag? Poor form.

WARNING: POST 11 POSTS ABOVE THIS ONE MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

There, we're safe.

most likely, are you trying to ask if it would be like under the bridge and have different forms based off of how many times you played?

wait wait wait, what are you talking about herer? am i missing something about BBs stage? i dont really play on it much.

also yay for extra stages! eliza stage is sick and the gehenna stage looks pretty darn cool too. wonder if that will have new muzac too?