• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Is it too late to start?

Retrophysic

Reaction score
PSN
Stb_Retro
I've completely fell in love with this game, sadly I have no idea wtf is going on 99.9% of the time this is my first ever anime fighter and I have no idea where to start or where to go, I'm coming from nrs games (I know) but if anyone has any tips to help me get started understanding movement, tags, anything it would be very much appreciated I really want to get into this game

Not at all were a very welcoming community. (if your willing to listen and have the mindset to improve that is.) if you need to know basic stuff you can add me on steam i can help you understand basic stuff. I think my stem name is on the sidebar under my icon.

Welcome to one of the nicest communities in gaming. This is my first fighting game (bought SG in February), and I completely understand the statement 'i don't know where to start'.

My advice would be to go through the first couple chapters of the tutorials. Now they aren't the best ever, but they do introduce a lot of basic fundamentals of 2D fighters better than any other fighting game out there. Then just go through the story mode with all the characters, see who you like, then return here to read through threads to gain a deeper understanding of them.

Please understand this: 2D fighting games are unforgiving. To dive deep and really improve, you must be willing to put in a lot of time (whether it be reading up, in the training room, or finding someone to help you out). But this all completely depends on how immersed you want to be in this. Many people who stick it out tend to be the type of player who wants to improve every day.

If all else fails, picks through the beginner forums and ask questions. I haven't found anyone that bites when you ask (yet...). If you are willing to put in the work and love playing Skullgirls, we are all here to help.

Never too late to hop on board the Skullgirls train. Just make sure to not be in a rush to improve. It's fine to get better one step at a time. Also, there's a pretty wide variety of people playing at different skill levels in our community and as others have said, our community is very nice ^,^

Tips to improve? hmmm, watching match vids is usually the quickest way to get a good feel of how to move, what combos to do, what assists to use, etc. Luckily for you, there's going to be LOTS of amazing Skullgirls play being streamed from ComboBreaker this weekend. Be sure to tune in and take notes!

I appreciate the warm welcome guys!! I'm not gonna give up on this game but I'm having a really hard time moving around and blocking and confirming etc I'm coming from nrs so it's almost like I'm having to re- learn fighting games again I'm on psn so I sadly can't add on steam but if anyone thinks they can explain stuff to me or show me stuff my psn is stb_retro, the characters I've taken interest in so far are squigly and fukua

Reactions: Makster
Hey, good to have you here.
I'm PS3 only myself, and have practiced with some beginners to SG over the years (though I'm still no expert).

Can play weekends & am w.coast US.
Depending on your region, I could send an invite to a practice room & go over some Fukua stuff.
Maybe Sat/Sun after you've done tutorials, story, maybe some training, arcade, etc.

I appreciate the warm welcome guys!! I'm not gonna give up on this game but I'm having a really hard time moving around and blocking and confirming etc I'm coming from nrs so it's almost like I'm having to re- learn fighting games again I'm on psn so I sadly can't add on steam but if anyone thinks they can explain stuff to me or show me stuff my psn is stb_retro, the characters I've taken interest in so far are squigly and fukua

lol, don't worry. I understand. I experienced something similar when I first hopped on Injustice coming from airdashers and Skullgirls. Though, in my case, it was more I had to rethink the way blockstrings and pressure was supposed to work. I didn't have any trouble with movement too much.

One thing you're probably going to want to do more than anything else is to experiment with assists in neutral and pressure. A lot of people coming from just 1v1 games can be a bit slow to pick up on a team games more assist oriented gameplay so it's a good idea to try and get familiar with and adapt to it early. For Squigly, you can try and experimenting with c.HP and Drag N Bite as assists. Not as well versed with Fukua but I think the special where she slides forward with the drill is a pretty good assist to experiment with.

I'll add you on PSN later. Lets play some time ^,^

It's never too late to start! Unfortunately I haven't played the game as much as I should have, as in at all, but it's never too late to get into!

If you ever wanna play, my PSN is Brandxplus.

Welcome to the community fam!ヽ(^。^)ノ If you want, I can show you some Squigly stuff! My PSN's Soluden and I'll be on later today. I don't have a mic, sorry....

appreciate it, I have a question should I take into consideration of learning every characters frames?

appreciate it, I have a question should I take into consideration of learning every characters frames?
Nah, it's not that important generally. Save that till you're used to the game mechanics.

if anyone on ps4 wouldn't mind going over like basic stuff with me I would greatly appreciate it, I switched characters to filia, I like painwheel and cerebella as well

Reactions: Bigtonney
Yo ! I got the ps4 version and i like help people enjoy this game even more that you do now x) A very personal advice: Play who you like, and try every character : when you will find the right one go for that one, even if it seems complicated to "do stuff". Play the story! it's nice to explore the artistic side of this game before diving in training room sessions. If you like the characters i'm sure you learn them faster. I'm on PS(3/4) & PC. Ciao !