• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

It's Much Harder to Catch Up Than Keep Up

NADIA BUSINESS

aka Djunuu
Reaction score
Steam
NADIA BUSINESS
XBL
NADIA BUSINESS
Ms. Fortune Eliza Parasoul
I figured I may as well make one of these since I'm starting to get back into Skullgirls.

I used to play on 360 in the Vanilla and SDE days, and stopped playing around the time SG for steam came out/Squigly. Watching Combo Breaker was super hype, and prompted me to start playing again.

I've only participated in a tourney once, at SCR 2013(?) with the SG side tournament. I participated under my other handle Djunuu! Went 3-1, was sent to Losers by @WingZero and then had to drop out early because I was a high school student at the time.

So far, I've had troubles with:

Undizzy: I'm still having a bit of trouble adjusting, because I haven't gotten the feel yet for how long combos should be, let alone all of the new changes.

Ms. Fortune: Basically everything about her has changed since SDE. Can't use the old stuff I knew, whether it be the headless rekka loops or head-on mixups I had, so I've been putting in a lot of time in the lab to learn some new ones. Still working on headless loops.

Filia: Not much has changed, but I kinda miss doing hairball adc combos. Just need to get more comfortable with more resets, baits, and the undizzy.

Parasoul: I can still do my old stuff, but the new stuff has better options and what not. Plus I think her neutral is much better than before and there's a lot of tear tosses going on. Seems like she can put on way more pressure than before.

Here's to the long climb before I get back to where I think I was, and then more!

OHMIGOSH Djunuu COME BACK! We miss you.

Miss you guys too! I had my last final today so I'm much more free now to play/practice more. (I may even be able to attend SoCal locals? If they're happening at any rate).

That being said, my headless neutral game needs some work. It's way easier to move the head around but it still feels awkward to position and kick around for me. To the lab!

This puts a smile on my face!
Welcome back!

If you have any questions adjusting to 2nd Encore hit me up.

Edit: You can also change your username to Djunuu in the name change thread if that's your name now.

Last edited:
Wait, if you can change names, why are you still Skarmand?

yeah, skarmend is much better

n9w5Yuk.jpg

This puts a smile on my face!
Welcome back!

If you have any questions adjusting to 2nd Encore hit me up.

Edit: You can also change your username to Djunuu in the name change thread if that's your name now.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I'll also look into the name change thingy.

Just had a first to ten with a solo Beowulf player. Pretty nervewracking, was down 4-9 but clawed my way back up to nailbiting last match, and clinched it 10-9.

Things I need to improve on:

Matchup knowledge - That was definitely my first time playing against Beowulf for a long period of time, so I still need to get more familiar with his moveset/paystyle.

Patience - I was focused more on trying to get in that I got punished a lot for being too anxious and overeager. It cost me every single one of those 9 games

Crossups - Beowulf's Wulf Blitzer is a lot faster than I thought, and crossed me up way more than I would have liked. Gonna make a better note of it next time.

Resets/Baits - My baits worked maybe half the time, but my muscle memory isn't completely there so sometimes I just completely fumbled the inputs. Need more practice.

B&Bs - As much as I'd love to say it was a reset..it definitely wasn't. Need more muscle memory.

Things I did right:

Noticed he was throwing the chair a lot, blitzing a lot, and mashing super after c.HP (because I tried punishing early). Decided to slow it down a bit and zone a bit more with Napalm shot assist and wait for an opening. It was definitely a lot easier because once I set the pace it didn't matter if I dropped the combo.

I probably wouldn't have made the comeback if I didn't actively think of how to change it up! Because nothing I was doing was stuffing blitzer and chair throw. The armor on c.Hp got me way more than it should have!

Reactions: skull person
Devastatingly lost a ft10 against joshb. Still have got a lot of work to do!

GGPO - I've heard somewhere along the way that using a setting of 0 is the best, but I guess it doesn't really work even at 1 when playing someone coast to coast. When even at 1 sometimes characters would teleport not giving me a chance to react. I think I'll try to stick to the recommended settings. (Or get a better potato).

Assists - I may need to change my assist line up. Against heavy rush down like Filia and Fukua with good approach, at least. I like to use filia's c.mk, but hairball or updo just might be better overall.

Meaty - I got opened up a lot by being impatient against meaties. Gonna review the replays and see.

PBGC - I really need to stop trying to pbgc into lk fiber upper LOL. Definitely does not work as much as it used to.

Crossups - I have a hard time defending against them on incoming. Hornet Bomber and Fukua drill are really good, looks like! Another thing to review on the replays.

Fukua - First time playing against a really good Fukua, so I'm sure the matchup knowledge will come by itself as time goes on. There were a lot of subtle resets and grabs that I just didn't see coming at all.

Resets/Baits - People weren't kidding when they said the game got a lot more reset heavy. So many different ways to reset and bait, it's crazy! Hard knockdown + burst baits are also crazy. It looks like the only way out of good baits is to expect it and correctly guess which way to block. I need to take a look at all the different ways it's done.