• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

It's Showtime, Synergy! The Jem And The Holograms Thread

Witchfinder

Forever Beyond The Light
Reaction score
Filia Cerebella Fukua
Hey, remember that show that was poorly animated, very music-based, was a huge love-letter to everything 80s and just barely fell short of its contemporaries like G.I. Joe, My Little Pony and Transformers?

tumblr_n4lcncox1l1s5e5bko2_500.gif

Yeah, me neither.

...Until I heard it was getting relaunched into a comic by the glorious IDW.

I remembered Jem from my early years when I grew up sitting in front of the TV waiting for G.I. Joe to come on, and naturally avoided this like the cootie-infested plague. Now, in my twenties, after G.I. Joe slowly fizzled out as we awaited the (pretty unlikely) return of Renegades, Transformers overstaying their welcome with reboot after reboot, and my twenty minutes as a Brony 4 Life, Jem And The Holograms made a sudden (but not unwelcome) entrance in my life after I decided to watch an episode (The Jem Jam, I believe it was) after I woke up too late in the morning to catch the original G.I. Joe, and was pleasantly surprised, and decided to dive into the series. The animation sucked even by 80s standards, there can be no overemphasis on that, but while shows like G.I. Joe and Transformers focused on action, Jem was very slice-of-life (but still with enough action to satisfy) oriented with a surprisingly adept handle on drama (i.e. Out Of The Past, Alone Again, Father's Day, Roxy Rumbles). The songs were surprising catchy (when they weren't something you wished you could get out of your head) and the characters nicely fleshed out, main or minor.

So, yeah. The underdog prevails.

...And now they're releasing a comic with a modern twist that's due out shortly, headed by the dream team of Kelly Thompson and Ross Campbell. AW, SON OF A BITCH.

First impressions of the comic: I'm not thrilled about the modern twist; that almost never turns out well. But the creator is a fan of the original series. I have faith. The art is... a bit much to digest:

Jem-and-the-Holograms-comic-version.png

h9cxl4tmhm7m9odxtywq.jpg

Wait... Jetta, have you always been black?

Exclusive-Art-JEM-01x633.jpg

I'll definitely be checking this out. After being monumentally impressed with the IDW My Little Pony series, what reason do I have to not check it out?

No reason, that's what!

So whether this thread is gonna create hype, discussion or just general trashing of the series as a whole, discuss Jem here.

Last edited: