• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

I've been thinking in buying a Hitbox...

Zaap125

Reaction score
Peacock Squigly Beowulf
Hey everyone, I have a little bit of a dilemma here. I play Skullgirls with keyboard but now it's getting a bit short for me and I'm thinking of buying a Hitbox ( you know, this thing http://8wayrun.com/attachments/img_4309-jpg.36991/ ) I'm not very fond of any kind of sticks -like in joysticks-. The thing is: 1- Is the Hitbox permitted in Skullgirls tournaments? 2- If there is anyone with this little box out there, do you recommend it, or do you preffer the keyboard/just get used to the stick?. Thanks for reading :) !

hitboxes are totally allowed. You can use just about anything in tournament except an actual keyboard. Those don't work on console.

From what I hear, the people that do have hitboxes enjoy them. If you're a fan of keyboard you'll probably like it too. I know there are a few sg players that have one.

I don't have a lot of experience with hitbox or keyboard, though I have considered trying a hitbox myself.

I just want to say thanks for posting this. Reminded me that Hitbox existed and that it is an option for me since I'm a fan of keyboard.

Hitbox's are totally allowed.

I would recommend anyone to give it a try, if you could find someone who has one already. Some say it's more precise than stick or pad, and that it is easier for keyboard players to transition to. You just need to take the time to get used to it, like anything else.

If you're up to it you could also make your own, like I had done a while back. That way you could modify it to your own tastes and layout preferences (I had personally changed the button layout a bit.) Some people have made ones with an arrow-key layout, or even used cherry mx switches instead of traditional buttons.

@gllt has one and he loves it afaik.

The one thing I really love about using a hitbox over a keyboard is that the 30mm buttons for punch and kick are far more reasonably spaced when compared to, say, the numpad on most keyboards (and that's even before you get into ghosting issues, etc.). This is actually the main reason I'd suggest at least trying a hitbox if your current keyboard isn't actually causing you trouble.

Also Luweewu mentioned people making their own hitbox with a WASD layout. I did exactly that, and yes, it's still entirely tournament legal.

I recommend this hitbox stick type. I use the same one you linked to.

I also recommend you practice using spacebar as jump if you want to get into using a hitbox. It can be weird at first, but totally worth it.

Thanks everyone for your answers! When I get (or build) my hitbox, I'll be posting pics <3