• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Jisatsu's in-depth drilling diary

Jisatsushimasu

Reaction score
Steam
jisatsushimasu
Valentine Parasoul Cerebella
Hello, name's Toshi, and I'm a lazy-ass college student.. well so much uninteresting, hahha

I'm not a real deal of an FG player but I keep my determination to get better every little step. I bought SG last weekend (the discount's nice) and started to drill tutorial right away, well I seem to understands the basic of the fight mechanism but somehow I was distracted and cannot implement some lessons in there and have to get back sometimes. So I went back to training, quick match and single player to test if I get the hang of my char. I'm currently playing Valentine solo, testing it out with filia and parasoul tag in single player, and quick match with solo val. I'm started to get the feel of val but not yet implement a "fixed" combo. I tend to vary combo from juggling to knock down confirm.. at one point it's a plus, but at some point I kinda slack with the input (my keyboard's kinda old). Val's really depends on her chaining, darts, and utilizing her grab for counter could be a good point.

The one that really bothers me is how to approach Peacok from her barraging (Nightmare arcade) and for most of Peacock players in online matches.. It seems that I can't approach her safely even with savage bypass (ground/air) or with throwing dart/shuriken, cause it have to be somewhat close (air dash + throw dart) it happens when Peacock have maximum gap and start spamming bombs, falling things and stuff.

As for now, I still wanna learn more about Valentine in-depth before going to play another girl (Parasoul and Cerebella is on the next list).

I appreciate every comments here and thanks for helping (if you would). cheers!

In terms of dealing with Peacock, Valentine is somewhat special in the sense that she has an air dash that makes her rise up in the air. This is very important to keep in mind because with proper timing and use of her air movement options, you can just soar over all of Peacock's projectiles. But in general, you just want to slowly work your way in on the peacock by moving forward in small increments when you get the chance and blocking. It's very important to not get impatient and try to close the gap all at once. Zoners tend to mainly feed off 2 things. The first is your impatience, which often leads to mistakes that they can capitalize off of and the second is your predictability, which makes it easier for them to control space and keep you out.

It'll be rough in the beginning but it won't be so bad once you get lots of practice, especially once you get good enough with Val that you only need to close the gap once or twice before it's lights out for the Peacock.

yeah, I was mostly uncertain of how to close the gap somehow, in that doubtful manner I tend to go back and forth while defending against projectiles with no real progress of closing the gap, especially with lots of projectiles coming (good zoners). So it seems I should tread carefully and look for the cracks between projectiles and make my move either air dashing/walking my way in. And I realize sometimes savage bypass could help if pulled right but sometimes could be a disaster if it was blocked.

this could be a good note on how to counter Peacock and other space-controlling char. Thanks for pointing it out, it was helpful :3

as for now I'll do more matchmaking/single player and will write down any progress an try to solve problems if I ever encounter one in the future.

One thing with approaching peacock is keep in mind she has a teleport. Sometimes, when chasing her down, I over commit and allow her to teleport and escape, basically having me run corner to corner trying to catch her.
Other tips would be not to forget dash and block is good for slow and steady progress and be careful not to pushblock if you don't want to. That just gives Peacock more room to do stuff.

Yeah it seems my problem was I couldn't defend well while dashing in, so I get a few hit from george/bang bang bangs and follow-ups to her argus agony. My keyboard is the one to blame but I'm not sure either. I need to have more matches :3

My last quick matches progress to a somewhat dissapointing way, I have some heavy lag and winning few matches (tight ones). Not that was a big problem cause I'm always up for battles. But I seem to have issues with my keyboard too. I can't guard even if I press on back direction button. Well, I play with a built-in laptop keyboard and it seems to have slower reactions lately (being used to another game such as Elsword). I have to press a bit deeper to execute commands especially with the direction pad.

That being said, I probably couldn't do much about my connection (since I play with USB modem) and still saving up some bucks to buy a better one. As for controller, I'm comfortable enough with keyboards but am willing to try joystick to expand my field of play. Right now I'm planning to buy new controller, either external keyboard/joystick. Though qualities are lacking in nearby market, and I have tight budget too (considering to buy a new laptop), anything that works will be fine I guess. If you know some nice and cheap products (around 10$-50$) and obtainable in wide range of market, you can give me some recommendations of controller (keys/joystick).

as for last matches I fought against few peacock users and have a few wins, my reaction is somewhat slower and still having difficulties with closing the gap, but I came to know some stuff with peacock's teleport. Still need more training cause I have lag in matches that nevertheless play some role to ruin my games. Thanks for your help and maybe someone willing to add me on steam ([UNK]-Jisatsushimasu). cheers!

edit: it's unwise to use mortuary drop on Peacock cause it will create huge gap.

Last edited:
alas, I just read some stuff about val's combo and now pondering how short my combos are (20+ longest). I can't even loop air attacks (I can link air-ground, but turns to be infinite).

I'm drilling to pull this corner loop: c.LK, c.MK, c.HP, j.HP dash j.MP(2), j.HP, land, jump j.LP j.MP(1) j.HP, land, jump j.MK, j.HP land, jump j.LK j.MP j.HP land, s.LP s.LP s.MP c.HP, j.HK xx Savage Bypass, land, otg s.LK s.MP s.MK s.HK s.HK s.HK xx EKG Flatliner. Credit to Dagwood who made this guide.

Well I know it was not a must to fully do the same and it's supposed to be an "easy" combo to learn compared to the midscreen one. So I probably need some time to get accustomed to this, hopefully it will stick after consistent pull off.

I just saw "drilling" and thought
tumblr_inline_mwc469Rbb61qgt1vk.png

haha, yeah maybe I should not listen to the cosmos mate.

btw, not much of a thread, I just came to learn something from what I've experienced. I really am a new player myself and maybe missed some points to begin with, but it was really my POV and about some ramblings that really doesn't need bothering like my keyboard and all xD

glad to have some thoughts here on what should be done, and some little assistance just to step my game up, and maybe some cup of coffee can help me stay awake for the morning class that filled with some stupid assignment (here goes my rant).

going halfway through it. gonna do some homework now.