• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Joystick care help

Spencer

Painwheel
Reaction score
Steam
qspec
Painwheel Squigly
I'm having input issues. Essentially my diagonals aren't reliable. Often instead of jumping at an angle, I go straight up. I wasn't sure what was causing it, but now, I'm sure it is my sticks, two of them (Seimitsu and Sanwa).

Which means the issue is probably with me. How am I fucking up joysticks so fast? The Sanwa lasted 7 months. The Seimitsu lasted about a year. I must be smashing on it hard as hell.

I'm 90% sure it isn't my execution. When I try to go to a diagonal (slow or fast), I get input that looks like 2623... with a throw directly to the diagonals.

Can riding the gate fuck up the joystick? Throwing the stick too hard?

I guess I have no idea how to use a joystick to stop it from being ruined three weeks out of warranty.

Idk i have two madcatz TE's both are 3~4 years old and still work like new, despite me taking poor care of them, mashing like hell, dropping them several times, spilling drinks on them etc.. When I play on other people's loose old sticks they feel like ass.

I'd be convinced it was the game given the age of both of my sticks, but it is happening on the PC and the xBox in SG, GG, and SFIV.

It could be my execution, but that doesn't explain some of the weirder things I've seen happen like clearly holding up-back while my character moves backwards without jumping. Or clearly holding up-back while I jump straight up in place. Or my personal favorite, the stuttering in which my guy stutters between walking backwards and crouching.

Some times I'll get weird inputs in SFIV like trying to Shoryuken and getting a super (236, 236 p)... as in my diagonal fucks up so badly that it turns 623 into 236,236...

@Daemyx yeah, Square gate.

I don't know about you but I literally can not play with a square gate. Have you messed with circle or octo?

No. I'll take the gate off tomorrow which will effectively give me a circle gate. I'll update on that.

Taking off the gate will only risk damaging the micro-switches.

i actually think that I am damaging the micro-switches. Can that happen if you are rough on the stick?

Open your stick(s) up and take pictures of bottoms of the levers so we can see if there's anything wrong with them.

Also, we should summon @DaRabidDuckie to this thread (if he isn't too busy with work).

Sounds good. It may be a few days, but I'll get on that for sure.