• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Kara Throws in SG??

Reaction score
So I just recently decided to pick up Peacock and was in training mode when I switched back over to Squigly(because peacock is frustrating) and I decided to try plinking which is something I'm learning in SF4. To my surprise you can definitely Kara throw in skullgirls and for those who don't know what a Kara throw is, it's a throw that uses the active frames of another button to move your character forward as you throw increasing the throw range.

The downside to this is that so far I can only manage to do it after throwing out a random Mk before pressing mk(in the same instance, but not the same frame)+lp+lk...

Anyone else wanna give this a go and see if they can manage better?

I thought kara throws didn't work in Skullgirls because you can't cancel normals into throws? But I guess it could work with command grabs.

Yeah, Kara throws me all the time, but I don't see what the big de-

Oh, wrong thing. :P

Have you tried with Showstopper or Daisy Pusher, or does it only work with normal throws?

Particular good for kara throws with bella is cMP and tumble run, with sHK occasionally.

charged sing assist + kara command grab is real.

I know for a fact that you can cancel Light normals into a normal throw during the first few frames of the move. I guess it is a type of input leniency so that you don't have to hit both buttons on the exact same frame to get the throw to come out.

Because Squigly's s.LK moves her forward, you can Karathrow with LK~LP. It adds a little bit of extra range but adds an extra 1-2 frame of startup from the kara normal.

Bella can also Karathrow with her s.LK unfortunately Bella's s.LK moves her backwards so.... yeah that's not too useful.

Of course command throws can always be canceled from normals so its easy to kara with those. Normal Throws are the tricky ones.

Reactions: Evilweevle
I've been using Mk to test it out and like I mentioned it works(?) but only after the mk has been thrown out and after the recovery of the Mk so it's hella unsafe. But that's just with Squigly and happens to be the only one I tried

I've been using Mk to test it out and like I mentioned it works(?) but only after the mk has been thrown out and after the recovery of the Mk so it's hella unsafe. But that's just with Squigly and happens to be the only one I tried

I don't think that's actually a Kara throw. Yeah, s.MK moves you forward but 'Kara' basically means interrupting the startup of one move and canceling it into another.

Dude if the throw doesn't happen until the entire animation of the s.MK ends then it's not a kara cancel. You're not cancelling anything.

@C-BusGreatSage

Yeah kara throws are a thing. What you describe with peacock isnt a kara throw though. Instead of peacock, think of a character with a slide move... Now think of using the slide move to move forward, recover fully, and then throw something out like a throw... That is basically what you are doing except substitute slide for peacocks st.mk.

The "kara" in kara throw is a japanese word and translates to empty. So kara cancels (kara throws) are "empty" cancels. By empty, they mean to cancel without making contact AND the startup frames of a move BEFORE the attack goes into active frames. The kara window is generally 3 frames or less iirc. Probably can get up to 5 frames in some capcom games on certain moves. In skullgirls the empty cancel has a MUCH bigger window... Basically anytime in the attack iirc.

What will REALLY bake your noodle is that many characters i sg can actually cancel there jab attacks ON HIT OR BLOCK, into a throw. Peacock can do this as well.

Lp then lk~lp plink. His cancel is so fast that you can wiff the throw because the opponent is still in block/hitstun. This is really good for doing low/throw mixups for the characters that can do it.... Ie

You cancel the lp into a low normal, or into a throw.

Reactions: WrestlerGuile
Dude if the throw doesn't happen until the entire animation of the s.MK ends then it's not a kara cancel. You're not cancelling anything.
I don't think that's actually a Kara throw. Yeah, s.MK moves you forward but 'Kara' basically means interrupting the startup of one move and canceling it into another.
No no it's actually a karathrow, I just don't know how to explain it that well. It works exactly the same way it does in SF4AE just in order for me to do it correctly I had to do a s.MK before attempting the karathrow. If I knew how to put videos up on my phone I'd show you

Rofl that's significantly higher than the average prize for 1st place
I've been hiding my pocket Squigly for years, waiting for a challenge like this. I've spent thousands of hours, many a sleepless night, perfecting my kara-showstopper tech. Waiting in silence for a fool like you to throw away his money at me so I can finally become the hero that I deserve to be

(seriously though I'll try doing this in casuals or something, not tournament)

I'll pay $50 to the first person to do this in a streamed tournament match

inb4 Sage is 50$ richer

I think a Kara-throw is something like this. Am I right?
[av]http://a.pomf.se/clnczf.webm[/av]

Yeah, except it's not /exactly/ a secret that you can cancel whiffed normals into specials at any point.
Question of the OP was directed at normal throws.

I really think you can't cancel it. If it was possible, normal moves should be cancellable into other normal moves, or at least in command normals (like cancelling Bella's s.HP into Titan Knuckle).

I thought kara throws didn't work in Skullgirls because you can't cancel normals into throws? But I guess it could work with command grabs.

You can't do a regular cancel off of normals into throws in SF4 either. The idea of Capcom style kara cancels originally was that you get a frame or two of time at the start of a normal to cancel it into almost anything, which is allowed to give you a little bit of input leniency. For example, a slightly garbled fireball motion in SF2 where you hit the button before you hit forward - the negative edge input from you releasing the button can kara cancel the beginning of your accidental crouch normal into the fireball, even if it's not normally cancellable at all.

Anyway Isavulpes showed you can kara cancel an lp into a normal throw (which is clearly in there for the old input leniency reason, so you can hit one of the buttons for a throw on a different frame or two than the other). I assume you can kara cancel lk too, but what about the other normals where Mike could have easily disallowed it to kara cancel into throw without impacting throw input leniency?

You can kara throw with Fortune's 5LK, but instead of moving her forward she moves backwards.