• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Magma's quest to learn his waifu (and others).

Magma442

Get ready for a Showstopper!
Reaction score
Steam
Magma442
PSN
Magma442
Cerebella
C.lk, blocked, goes for grab, misses.

So I decided to create one of these since everyone else has one.

Things I need to work on:
  1. Better neutral game. I usually rush in too much and this often creates more of a problem
  2. Stop Mashing. I mash too much which results in me getting burst baited.
  3. Learn how to use a team. I usually play solo's but I want to learn how to properly use assits, tag ins, etc.
  4. Learn how to Snapback and double snap.
Who I am currently learning/need help with:

Cerebella:
Learn more then 1 Bnb. All I know is her universal Bnb but that's about it.
Learn a better neutral Cerebella game.
Learn what I should do when they block. I try to go for a diamond drop when someone blocks but it never connects.
Stop Mashing. I usually mash like I said above. I also need to not accidentally do showstopper when going for a Diamond drop.
Learn to Diamond Deflect, Devil horns and Excellebella, I know the motions I just can never do it when in a real match. I often do Lnl instead. I also need to know what to do when matched up against a peacock player who spams projectiles followed by a Big band Brass knuckles assist (Im looking at you @Smile).
Learn a better air game with Cerebella (Squiglys dive-kick is the bain of my existance.)
And finally learn to judge projectile distance when deflecting.

Parasoul.
Learn Parasouls Bnb.
Learn how to do a better neutral game with her.
Learn her team synergy with Cerebella.
In short learn her ins and out and how to play her.

So yeah is there any advice you can give me?

My advice is bad, but you asked for some

Learn how to Snapback and double snap.
Cerebella's double snaps are relatively easy. I like to go into s.HK to line them up for the snapback first.
A simple one is just doing her restand link (c.LK > c.MK > j.MP > delay > j.HK) repeatedly.
Another is just doing c.HP over and over after launching them (c.LK > c.MP > c.HP > c.HP > c.HP etc)
If you're in the corner yourself when you get the opponent and their assist in a combo, just do s.HP > Kanchou to sideswap and double snap.

I try to go for a diamond drop when someone blocks but it never connects.
Are you delaying it enough? You need to wait for the blockstun to end for the grab to connect. If it is out of range, you should try going into the 360 or MGR.

I also need to know what to do when matched up against a peacock player who spams projectiles followed by a Big band Brass knuckles assist
Diamond Deflector can be a bit difficult if Big Band is in the way, so you're either going to need to wait until Big Band is off-screen or just try something else. Keep in mind Kanchou (dash, not the follow-up) is projectile invulnerable, so you can use that to dash around some of the projectiles. Make sure you wait until Big Band is away, though.
The glide on j.HP is good to keep away from the projectiles. Super jump into it and you can close a decent amount of distance.

Learn Parasouls Bnb.
My BnB is c.LK > s.MK > s.HP x2 > L Napalm Shot > s.LP > s.MP > b.HK > L Egret Call > dash forward > s.MK > c.HP > j.MP > j.HP > j.HK > c.LK > s.MK x2 > s.HP x2 > M Napalm Shot > Silent Scope > c.MP (burst bait).
Alternatively, you could do c.LK > c.MK > c.HP > j.MP > j.HP > j.HK > s.LK x2 > s.MK x2 > s.HP x2 > M Napalm Shot > Silent Scope > c.MP.
It cuts out the L NS link which might be a bit difficult early on, but it does less damage.

Edit: I know his is really late, but I realized a few hours later I put M Egret Call instead of L.

Learn a better air game with Cerebella (Squiglys dive-kick is the bain of my existance.)
She's got a lot of good air tools.
j.LK has really good range and decent hitstun so you have plenty of time to combo from it, and it is what I use for air-to-airs. j.MK has lots of active and really good range, so if the startup isn't a problem where you would need to use j.LK, use it instead. J.HP is really good as well due to the range and how easy it is to combo off of. For Squigly, you can actually catch her j.HP with Excellabella, as the entirety of Leviathan has a hurtbox during her j.HP. You won't be able to air-to-air her because of how great her j.LK is, but if you keep your distance you should be okay. If she tries to divekick you, you can try to airgrab her, as her airgrab has a tall vertical hitbox.

Last edited:
Reactions: Magma442
Well I'm glad you decided to make one of these. Now I can try to help as best I can (Hopefully you take what I say into consideration)
So after the many games that we have played I've found a few things that stick out to me when ever you play. Now I'm gonna try to be constructive here:
1. You seem to auto pilot a lot which leads you to using the same reset over and over again (this would not be an issue if you were changing how you reset so if you went for a low one time and then went for a grab the next time or something like that)
2. You use Kancho WAY TO MUCH!!! The move is really unsafe and unless your using it once in a while it's not a surprise tactic any longer
3. I haven't seen your neutral play in a while but from what I last saw it desperately needs work (so for instance try to learn what move to use at what distance)
4. I don't think I have ever seen you use a mixup
5. Since your maining Bella I would suggest you look into some burst baits (yes there aren't many of them but still....)
6. I would suggest you switch your team order NOW that way you don't just use parasoul as an assist and you actually learn her (trust me I did that with Filia when I first started and it took me half a year to actually learn a single combo for her...)
7. If your planning on using parasoul I would suggest looking into the following chain and understand everything it can do: c.lk, s.mp, s.hp(2), L shot
8. If you could put up a set video that would help me see if I can suggest anything else
Now you can take my suggestions as constructive criticism or you can ignore them it doesn't matter to me but I thought I'd give my two cents

So I did a couple matches with Lux and @joshb911 wanted to see gameplay. What should I improve on?

What should I improve on?
Some things I'll mention (this is just from what I've seen from this quick video, I could be wrong based on my limited knowledge of your gameplay);

-You didn't pushblock once in the video I don't think? Start pushblocking more, using PBGC, and Absolute Guarding assist setups. Once you got in pressure, you stayed there until your opponent got a combo.
-You dropped some combos/hitconfirms. Work on your reaction to getting a hit/your execution.
-You weren't really reseting. Work on learning more resets and actually using them in a match.
-Your neutral needs some work, and you don't use all of Cerebella's tools much. Learn what applications her different moves have.
-You're constantly attacking. Sometimes it is good to just wait and block.
-When they pushblock, try going for something else when DD won't hit; Tumbling Run can let you can some space back, LnL can try to catch them doing something, and maybe experiment with MGR once they get out of recovery.

FIRST AND FORMOST!!!!!!
This is the first thing I noticed and I'm honestly shocked that Lux did not exploit the hell out of this on you:
* You are mashing c.lk or grab during combos (Do not do this I would have burst baited you several times during that set and it would have worked)
* Do not punish with lnl when you can get a full combo
* Stop blocking low (you got hit high too many times to count)
* Learn to do runstop resets please
* Learn to PBGC cause you are getting put into block strings and you don't do a thing to get out of them
* Your execution still needs work (You messed up an execelbella read)
* You start matches with Titan Knuckle every time and once again I'm shocked Lux didn't try fiber upper at the start of the round to hit you
* Your neutral is ok and you seem to understand how to get in but you don't understand your opponents options
* Utilize MGR more for resets
* Learn the more optimized combos (Your a bella main STEP IT UP MAN!!!!!!!)
* Normal throw is garb
* SNAP YOUR OPPONENT TO GET YOUR RED HEALTH BACK
* Learn to make harder reads and don't be afraid to make hard reads
* Please Reversal more
* Stop going for j.hp reset when you can't do it without it being the most obvious thing I have ever seen (Lux literally could have run under you and grabbed you out of the air before j.hp even came out)

That's all I got I hope it helps

Finally getting the deflect motion don just need to work on the timing.
also still working on the Parasoul Bnb but i'm getting used to her moves.

IT'S EITHER PLUGS OR MEMES. EITHER WAY I'M JUST A SHITLORD!

SadNinja.png

Does anyone have some decent Parasoul and Cerebella combos I can practice?

Does anyone have some decent Parasoul and Cerebella combos I can practice?
What do you mean? Do you want advanced combos, something specific, or basic BnBs? I thought you meant BnBs, but you seem to know them.

I want to know some advance combos for Cerebella and some basic Bnbs for Parasoul.

Reactions: Meow-Professor
Why would you want the advanced Bella combos when you have trouble with the basic one?

I want to know some advance combos for Cerebella
If you haven't got the hang of her normal combos, I don't think you should go straight to advanced combos, either.
If you really want to start practicing her advanced combos, I would just say you should practice her runstop links (s.HP > runstop > s.LP/s.LK/c.LK).
and some basic Bnbs for Parasoul.
I posted this earlier in the thread:
Her basic BnB is c.LK > s.MK > s.HP x2 > L Napalm Shot > s.LP > s.MP > b.HK > L Egret Call > dash forward > s.MK > c.HP > j.MP > j.HP > j.HK > c.LK > s.MK x2 > s.HP x2 > M Napalm Shot > Silent Scope > c.MP (burst bait).

Alternatively, you could do c.LK > c.MK > c.HP > j.MP > j.HP > j.HK > s.LK x2 > s.MK x2 > s.HP x2 > M Napalm Shot > Silent Scope > c.MP.
It cuts out the L NS link which might be a bit difficult early on, but it does less damage.

Why would you want the advanced Bella combos when you have trouble with the basic one?
bruh stfu your double combo ain't even gucci

a basic parasoul combo that corner carries very well is also

c.lk c.mk c.hp j.mp j.hp j.hk restand
s.mp c.hp
j.lp j.lk j.mp
jump up
j.mk j.hk restand
s.lk x2 (s.mp/s.mk x2) s.hp x2 napalm quake sniper shot

try bella runstop links and devil horn combos
maybe focus on some bella resets as well?

if you're trying to wander into advanced territory, try...

stuff like,

c.lk c.mk
runstop
s.mp
kanchou

Last edited:
some basic Bnbs for Parasoul.
An essiential corner carry combo is this.

C.lk s.mk shp shp l shot. Slp smp bhk h egret. Dash jump, dash smk shp shp l shot slk smk shp shp, quake or pillar.

Quake if the combo will not kill as you get better frame adv after the crumple and keep positioning. Pillar is for full on damage. If you need anything i will be on discord and watching this thread from now on

How can you be jealous of a trashcan?

On another note what assits do you guy recommend for Parabella synergy?

Last edited:
para/bella? I've experimented with L Shot/Pillar/Bike with Para and LnL/Copter with Bella myself. But it all depends on how you want to play. You can't go wrong with copter/pillar though.

l shot for dirty, lock n load is a very good assist, but i use cerecopter for multi-hit lockdown
@Dreamepitaph mind showing him that video you made me with the napalm shot examples???

also @joshb911 if i was jealous, i'd be copying your shitty team

Personally i recommend l shot.

Pillar doesnt do anything in neutral for me. Pillar is a dp assist so w.e. for a duo i would suggest using copter instead of lock n load. However if you want to counter call then use h lnl. But if you want true parasoul corner pressure then copter.

On that note both of you play nice and @Magma442

Like i said @Magma442 if you need anything i will be watching this thread for anything parasoul related. I will also be on discord and i do know you're part of the discord group and that has voice capability.

So if you do need anything. Contacting me on discord is #1 way to reach me. #2 way is just tagging me.

So While im combo training another issuse has come up. I just need help with movement with Cerebella or really just fundmentals with her.

My biggest flaw in general is just button mashing and not blocking mixups/misjudging moves and blocks.

I still dont know the best way to fix this.

Whiffed grabs are a problem of mine too that and snapbacks. I counted numerous times where I tried to grab/snap but ended in a Lnl. I swear I did the motion correctly but im still whiffing the command.

So While im combo training another issuse has come up. I just need help with movement with Cerebella or really just fundmentals with her.

My biggest flaw in general is just button mashing and not blocking mixups/misjudging moves and blocks.

I still dont know the best way to fix this.

Whiffed grabs are a problem of mine too that and snapbacks. I counted numerous times where I tried to grab/snap but ended in a Lnl. I swear I did the motion correctly but im still whiffing the command.
the only way to get better is to literally spend a chunk of time in training mode repeating the same scenario over and over and over again. There isn't a short cut to execution it's just a really long and tiring routine.

Im more asking what would be better. cause honestly i fel like a live match would help me most. see what I need to improve upon
I'll try to get some footage tomorrow.

I'm not looking for a shortcut I have plenty of time but i just can never seem to do the motions correctly. I do the 10x in a row challenge but in live matches I still drop combos, whiff grabs, etc.

If you are still dropping stuff then your either A. Nervous and need to calm down or B. You are not doing the inputs correctly. 10 times in a row might not be enough. When I practiced execution for the first time I would literally sit for 6 hours at a time and just do a combo over and over and over again till I thought about it in my sleep then I would wake up and do it again. If your nervous then that's another story which means you need to either take a deep breath before each match or come up with a way to relax.

I think its a mix of both honestly. like a cornered rat I often panic when put in the corner leading to misjudgment.

I think its a mix of both honestly. like a cornered rat I often panic when put in the corner leading to misjudgment.
Then you need to be able to step back and think logically under pressure. Fighting games are 50% mental endurance if you don't have that then you will lose every time.

Somethings up with discord and me recently. it would never load up when I clicked the app. so when i tried to unistall and reinstall it I got some errors. I'll try to fix tomorrow then I can ask.

Ok things I need to learn:

Parasou:
Everything. just. Everything.

I'm still confused what exactly I need to learn about Cerebella I still panic when deflecting and have a extremely hard time deflecting while on the left. but other than that I feel like I'm missing something but I don't know what.

Also sorry about the steam sounds and if the Video pauses that's mean answering josh back about something he's salty about (Fukua I think or something).

Reactions: Sparties
Analysis 1st watch: As a solo, you're too passive. Kujo did napalm shots effortlessly and easily and was not scared to do it because you can't deflect and you never tumble run'd at all. You also do not use Runstops at all for resets while Kujo does. In fact touching on the fact that you're so enraptured by trying to deflect is telling the opponent "hey this is the rhythm at which i will try to deflect" essientially a parasoul player will take notice and just detonate it manually or just let it go off on its own which will fuck with your rhythm.

Side note: why deflect in a cerebella mirror? Cocky taunt? idk

Parasoul: whenever you're pressing a button make sure to start charging. ending chains in Sweep is -
but ending strings in Shot is + so remember that

2nd watch: bella you need to learn your whole kit. from runstops to tumble run. you tried to deflect way too much and ended up telling kujo how your bella plays. if you're solo bella don't be afraid to atleast sweep the assist. Lastly using runstops in resets is powerful. Look at what kujo does and how each reset that is attempted is set up by runstop. Tumble run goes through 1 napalm shot so if you tumble run rather than try to deflect fullscreen(which doesn't do anything because parasoul would be able to block by that time) you could net a better success rate of hitting parasoul.

Overall: Your bella needs to utilize more tools in her kit and you need to practice her options over and over again. Rewatch the video and set up recordings for situations like napalm shot patterns