• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Steam - Linux [Manjaro] Having a custom ps4/ps5 controller config through steam crashes the game when a button is pressed

wetvapeoreons

Reaction score
This is true for both native version AND the Proton version. The log files notes nothing useful at all. I even removed the custom config that made my jump button L1, but even a generic config that doesn't change anything crashes the game. The crash only happens ingame, the menu works fine. The crash is not localized to player action, the CPU can also crash the game if they make an input as long as the controller is plugged in.

Could you please look into this?

This is true for both native version AND the Proton version. The log files notes nothing useful at all. I even removed the custom config that made my jump button L1, but even a generic config that doesn't change anything crashes the game. The crash only happens ingame, the menu works fine. The crash is not localized to player action, the CPU can also crash the game if they make an input as long as the controller is plugged in.

Could you please look into this?
Hello and apologies for the late reply! There are two potential solutions for this issue you can try:

Sometimes issues can be caused by the game reading "two" controllers at once instead of just one (for example, a PS4 pad may be recognized by steam as a Ps4 AND PS5 controller). Possibly, Steam is reading your PS4/PS5 controller as multiple devices and this is causing crashing. If you navigate to the controller options for Skullgirls, you can try "Disable Steam Input" in the controller menu. From here, you can try disabling devices on a one by one basis to see if it resolves the issue. Skullgirls has really good built in controller mapping, so it is not always necessary to use Steam pre configs. I would upload a screenshot of this menu but every time I try it breaks Skullheart's image size, so just let me know if you need more help.

The other option, as silly as it may sound, is to launch Steam in Big Picture mode and hit the play button in there. This resolves a lot of Steam Big Picture mode issues, as sometimes the configs won't work properly if you're using Steam normally.

Please let me know if either of these solutions work for you! If neither do, I can help investigate further.