• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Mods

killercore007

Reaction score
Steam
killercore0007
PSN
killercore007
Ms. Fortune Big Band
I have been wondering for a bit on what Mike Z's stance on those are.

No, not the what I call "cheater" mods, but rather things like pallete changes, background color changes, maybe even new moves for a fighter(within reason of course). Do note that I'm refering to mods that only work in say, arcade and training mode, possibly local vs.

As long as you dont mess up gameplay, its fine, he said that once. You can change color palettes, backgrounds, music, graphics etc. but nothing that would influence the gameplay. Like damage, stun, moves, inputs etc.

EDIT:

You can take it as given that I don't care if you reverse-engineer the pkg files or let people change music, stages, or the 32bit sprites (which aren't gameplay). That's the sort of stuff that's "acceptable" in fighting games, or at least should be.
And in SG most of it is known file types so that all doesn't require much work.
Hell, it might even encourage people to make assets we don't have, like a Japanese "LOADING". :^P

When you get into characters, that's closer to C&D territory because at that point the engine becomes MUGEN-ish, which is explictly what we're avoiding until such time as we decide to release it for free anyway. :^P
(If you get into characters? That stuff's pretty convoluted...)

As long as you dont mess up gameplay, its fine, he said that once. You can change color palettes, backgrounds, music, graphics etc. but nothing that would influence the gameplay. Like damage, stun, moves, inputs etc.

Hmm...I see. Well, I was thinking of say, adding a character of mine for personal use, but I do understand the MUGEN aurguement.

Hmm...I see. Well, I was thinking of say, adding a character of mine for personal use, but I do understand the MUGEN aurguement.
Good luck doing that, though.
In the words of Bomb Squad: "Dis wont b easy."

Just so you're aware, the average SG character has around 1400 frames of animation. If you would like to go through with that... uh... good luck?

Reactions: Kongk4
Just so you're aware, the average SG character has around 1400 frames of animation. If you would like to go through with that... uh... good luck?
Oh I figure around that. I just want to know if I'm breaking any rules with this before I even think of starting. I'm not sure on this as I'm not actually altering anything, just adding to existing stuff.

Another topic busted, way to go guys. You couldn’t just leave it with the only asked question answered, couldn’t you? -.-

Another topic busted, way to go guys. You couldn’t just leave it with the only asked question answered, couldn’t you? -.-
Topic fixed!
Oh I figure around that. I just want to know if I'm breaking any rules with this before I even think of starting. I'm not sure on this as I'm not actually altering anything, just adding to existing stuff.
Before even starting you may also want to consider if it's even possible to do what you're asking.
There's a thread here for the modding tool 'Skullmod', which allows you to swap out music and background assets pretty easy, but the author has been deliberately staying away from decrypting the playable character assets.
Do you have any programming knowledge that would enable you to decrypt the complicated way that Mike has stored all the character art and then insert your own?

Topic fixed!

Before even starting you may also want to consider if it's even possible to do what you're asking.
There's a thread here for the modding tool 'Skullmod', which allows you to swap out music and background assets pretty easy, but the author has been deliberately staying away from decrypting the playable character assets.
Do you have any programming knowledge that would enable you to decrypt the complicated way that Mike has stored all the character art and then insert your own?

Hmm, guess not worth the risk of getting a C&D then. Oh well.

There's no C&D risk. Mike just doubts that people would actually be able to reverse-engineer the program.

Re-reading it, I guess the C&D only applies if you start to change change core components(like existing characters, moves, the like), right?

No. If you were somehow capable of doing that, I guarantee the team would try to HIRE you before they told you to stop.

Reactions: Denizen
No. If you were somehow capable of doing that, I guarantee the team would try to HIRE you before they told you to stop.
Hmm... Interesting scenerio there.