• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

My diary where I try to git gud

mpgame99

Reaction score
Steam
mpgame99
PSN
malikpate
XBL
mpgame99
Valentine Beowulf Eliza
So I'm just going straight to the point and say I suck and need people to help me get better at this game.
These are the things I noticed from watching some of my matches

General
-Learn to actually block and not mash assist the second I'm hit
-Stop auto-piloting and adapt to what other people are doing
-SPEND METER WHEN IT WILL KILL. I have lost so many matches to mashed supers when I tried to reset them instead of killing them
-Bait supers
-Learn the bella and BB match-up

Val
-Don't rely on dead cross and IAD j.mp as much
-Learn how to do more than 3 different resets
-Learn Val's beta combos

Beo
-Use chair dance more
-Use H chair toss as a dp a bit more
-Learn better combos
-Use my assist less during oki

Eliza
-Learn how to actually play this character
-Stop calling sekhmet like it's still week 1

Reactions: Sydoh
If you want BB experience I can help you out. I also dont think you suck fwiw

I'll take you up on your offer but I won't be near a computer that can run SG until tomorrow.

After watching some more matches of mine I noticed that beat extend as an assist bops me. I almost always lose to anyone who was that assist because the second I start my offense it get hit and die. I also noticed that my offense isn't that great and that I need to work on it some more.

Alright I'm back home and can play SG again so @mcpeanuts or anyone else who wants to help me get better. Just send an invite and I'll be ready to play.

Alright I'm back home and can play SG again so @mcpeanuts or anyone else who wants to help me get better. Just send an invite and I'll be ready to play.
I don't get home for another couple hours or something but when I do I'll be on Steam. Get excited

Things I learned from my set with peanuts
-dead cross zoning isn't as effective because of brass
-Don't call assists at neutral as much
-learn resets that work on BB

Also clarence mage told me told me that I should try running Beo/Val/Eliza with Grendel arm and Hk savage bypass assist. So if anyone wants to help me test out this team send me an invite on steam.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
It isn't so much like "don't call your assists at neutral" as much as like, if you're going to do that, just make sure to protect them. A lot of the time if I'm Peacock and I call Big Band and he whiffs, I'll drop an item so they have to block and can't beat up Big Band. Duckator will do Filia's drill in that situation. Maybe you can throw a dead cross? I also think Beowulf chair toss is a better neutral assist than Eliza spiral. I kinda felt like you were calling Eliza when you should have been calling Beowulf and vise versa.

Calling Eliza was an accident most of the time because she is on a different position on my old team so I'm pressing the wrong macro. also I was referring to the BB match-up where if I call assist it would get hit most of the time because you used brass and dead cross wouldn't break your armor.

Last edited:
Calling Eliza was an accident most of the time because she is on a different position on my old team so I'm pressing the wrong macro. also I was referring to the BB match-up where if I call assist it would get hit most of the time because you used brass and dead cross wouldn't break your armor.
I didn't realize you were calling the wrong assist. However I think the dead cross thing might work if you throw it while Big Band is still in blockstun from the chair. It obviously doesn't break his armor but if you can extend his blockstun until Beowulf leaves the screen you might be able to keep him safe.

So after playing around with Beo/Val/Eliza I think I might stick with this team. The only thing I might change from Clarence mage's suggestion is using cr.mk as my assist instead of Hk bypass. Also robo fortune is pretty fun so if she turns out to have good synergy with my team I might switch Eliza for her.

Honestly I don't survive. When I looked back at the beta replays I noticed if Beo died I usually lost the match. That's probably the worst part about that team. The best thing to do might be to change the team order around depending on the match-up

So after playing with the Beo/Val/Eliza team some more I noticed it either works and I dominate the match or it doesn't and I get almost perfected. I rather just play Val/Beo/Eliza and have a consistent team that always works. anyways does anyone have a example video of the reset an entire team to death without them gaining one meter thing Mike was talking about. When I try to do it they always get a bar around when the 3rd character comes in.

?t=12h34m56s

Tiiiiime staaaaamps~

@mpgame99
You do way too much auto-pilot jump > double jump > shuriken H. Sage pretty much just had to wait for you to do that, cross under, and he was in and killed you with resets.

Also, you need to take into account his general neutral game strategy.

He does j.HP > Call LnL.

This makes it so it's very difficult to land cancel punish his jump-in, so you need to either AA his jump-in or try to counter bella either by calling assist to tag Beo and sweeping bella yourself, or get the assist to interrupt bella while land cancel punishing his jump-in.

Also, you have 5HK which can potentially be used. Maaaaaaybe 2MP if you're close enough, which would actually hit both characters at once and give you HB.

Then, some games it just kind of looked like you didn't know what to do and he got in for free. You need to challenge him in neutral so he can't just walk all over you.

Last edited:
So I'm thinking I want to drop Eliza for another character, does anyone have any suggestions. Eliza's main use on my team was a good pressure assist with H Osiris. I'm willing to use anyone with the exception of BB.

So after playing with robo for a couple months I decided that's she's gonna be on my final team which is going to be Val/Robo/Beo with H bypass/H beam/H toss. The cool thing about this team is that it can work in almost any order since everyone assists benefit each other so I can change who my point character is for certain match-ups. On different note here are some things I need to improve on with Robo.
  • Learn how to do her more damaging combos online
  • Don't use mine at stupid points
  • Use j.HK defensively as a run away tool more
  • Use her amazing dash more

So at this point have you mained every DLC character at one point or another?

Reactions: Pickles
Well I never "mained" BB and I didn't play fukua at all but aside from them yes

I don't play robo but from playing vs her I can confirm that ground dash is godlike and you should use it

The reason I don't play robo on point all the time is because val gets more benefit with H beam assist than Robo does with H bypass assist. Plus my robo isn't that good yet so playing her second helps me learn her without having to rely on two assists. I'm still going to change it around based on the match-up so depending how robo's match-ups end up I might play her on point more

The reason I don't play robo on point all the time is because val gets more benefit with H beam assist than Robo does with H bypass assist.

that's a good reason

Plus my robo isn't that good yet so playing her second helps me learn her without having to rely on two assists.

that's not. As you mentioned, h bypass doesn't do a whole lot for robo so just don't use it. I feel like if you want to learn a character playing her point is the best way to do it. If you put your best character first then your optimal scenario in a match gets you no robo exp.

Actually H bypass is a good assist for robo since it gives her conversions off her s.hk and throw and without using an otg increases her damage a little, pushes the opponet back a decent amount if they block it, and covers the ground which can help her zoning. Also I agree about playing a character on point being the best way to learn them, I was just talking about moments when I play against a good player and put val on point so I can put up a fight, so if val dies I get some robo experience without relying on her assist

Bypass is a pretty solid assist for Robo
It is certainly not "exceptional", but workable/good enough

I just don't think Robo functions anywhere other than point
- She pretty much needs two assists (defence + zoning/conversion) imo
- She will just MELT if she is cornered, so you would rather start at neutral than cornered (while Val doesn't have stellar defence, it is still much better than Robos + she has an easier time escaping the corner)

So I played a set with MMDS and went through the replays and decided to upload them. Sorry about the editing I was being lazy.
I just don't think Robo functions anywhere other than point
- She pretty much needs two assists (defence + zoning/conversion) imo
- She will just MELT if she is cornered, so you would rather start at neutral than cornered (while Val doesn't have stellar defence, it is still much better than Robos + she has an easier time escaping the corner)
Well the first thing you mention is a problem Val would have if I put her second, so that would be a problem no matter what the order my team is in and while it is true that robo's defense is bad it's not that much worse than Val's since they both pretty much die if they get hit. Plus having robo 2nd gives you access to a really good assist. While I'm talking about I feel like people downplay robo. She has good zoning, high damage if you do the right combo, amazing assists, and pretty good mix ups and pressure with jump cancels. With how unexplored she is she has a lot of potential to be a really good character imo.

So ever since I decided that robo would be on my main team, I've been playing noting but beta to learn her. The problem is that since I play beta, I fight the same 4 or 5 people all the time and don't have a lot of experience with her against certain characters and play styles. So can some people help me get more experience with her by playing me in beta. Just message me on steam if you want to play.

So I was playing around with HK bypass assist and realized that if you time it right you can push people out of reversal range if they try to mash, hit them and get a combo if they upback or press a button, or put right back into zoning range if they block. I don't know how good it would be in the long run, but I thought it was a cool thing my team can do.

Ok so I tested it on the whole cast I wrote down how they can get out
Filia- fenrir but not consistent
Bella-360
Peacock- nothing but why would you do this set up on her
Parasoul- level 3 ( if canceled to early it will get hit or trade and if canceled late you can't convert off it)
Fortune- fursurker barrage and level 3
Painwheel- level 3 but not consistent
Val- EKG and scalpels with no conversion
Double- nothing
Squigly- SBO will hit but squigly will be put full screen away
Big band- parry, L beat extend, SSJ, and level 3
Eliza- nothing
Fukua- level 3
Beo- arm and "high risk" maneuver
Robo- nothing

Last edited:
Reactions: fenster and Pickles
After thinking about it for a bit I decided that along with changing the point character for certain match-ups on my team, I would also change the ratio. So far I've decided that if Val is on point the team would be a trio and if Beo is on point that it would be a duo of him and robo. The one I'm confused about is Robo. On a trio she has access to a dp assist and an assist that makes her zoning WAY better since I get meterless conversions off beam most of the time. The downsides are the low damage and more importantly, low health, which is a big deal since robo has bad defensive options. On a duo with her and Beo I have access to a dp but lose conversions off beam, but in exchange, I do WAY more damage against a trio and can kill with one reset and 1 bar. I also am a lot less squishy in a duo and have safe DHCs that can bail me out of a lot of situations.

TL;DR Should I play robo in a duo or trio