• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Need Help & Suggestion in Buying Fightstick

annaz

Reaction score
I've been playing fighting games with Logitech game pad for a few months now. I think its time to change into fightsticks, But I don't which to pick as a first fightstick (I rather not buy the ones above $100).
Any suggestions or links for any good fighsticks on sale?

I always tell everyone this:
If you don't mind doing some mod work on a stick, you can buy a WWE BrawlStick and mod it with Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons and stick to create a TE quality stick for a fraction of the price. LordCeno linked this in another thread if you want to learn how to mod one yourself:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pheno and LordCeno
The Hori Soul Calibur V is great and may be cheaper than other. In France, this is the cheapest one with full sanwa parts I found.

If you're completely new to using a stick, I'd say start of with something like a brawlstick. Play with that for up to a month until you have reached a similar level of execution to what you had with your previous controller (and importantly, that you can pull off quartet-circle motions and DPs reasonably consistently). Only then start looking to upgrade the parts to better buttons/stick/etc. if you decide that a stick is the way that you want to go.

You can normally find WWE Brawsticks (ugly and basic, but easy to modify) for $20-30 USD

Reactions: Pheno
I just finished the second round of modding on my wwe brawlstick. It's super easy (on the level of legos, seriously) and you can customize pretty much everything that matters with no problem on this. I bought some of the pricier extras ("silent" buttons to cut back on noise) so replacing the joystick & buttons ran me about $60. The original stick is playable, but proper parts feel *a lot* better.

Mayflash generally has a poor reputation for breaking easily and being somewhat difficult to mod. That's just what I've heard, though - I don't own one myself.

EDIT: You might want to consider looking at some of HORI's models - they aren't quite as expensive as MadCatz, etc.

The pricing for those Hori models are kind of a pain since XBOX/PC version is much more expensive than PS3 version (also considering the shipping rate outside US). But maybe it would be better for long term use...

Anyways, thanks. I might consider paying a few more bucks if its worth it.

I have officially decided I want to fightstick. I haven't really decided on how much I'm willing to spend, so what are the basic details I should consider?

I know nothing about fightsticks. NOTHING. Any info you have will be helpful to me, no matter how basic and obvious it seems to you. I'd love to hear about your experiences with stock sticks, modded sticks, (I hear that people like to add aftermarket buttons, etc, but I know nothing about that.) and even made-from-scratch sticks. I play almost exclusively on PC, and I don't mind Playstation sticks, but I definitely don't want an Xbox themed one. (blue, yellow, green, and red buttons, etc)

Thanks in advance, people.

Those WWE Brawl Fightsticks are awesome if you can pick them up for $20 to $40. They are by far the cheapest alternative to the quality of a TE. Don't worry about modding them until you get to the point where the stock buttons and stick just won't do it for you anymore. This usually happens with about two months of intense playing or maybe 6 months of casual playing.

I have both the SE and TE verisons of the Fightstick, and for me, that was how long the buttons / stick lasted in the SE before I had to replace them with the Sanwa buttons.

Also, note that if you play Skullgirls on PC only, and don't care about console, BOTH the PS3 and 360 versions of the WWE stick will work on the PC (well, the later versions of the stick anyway). I've personally tested this with my friend's WWE stick, though he got his pretty late.

I see Amazon has them for $50 (http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-WWE-Stars-Brawl-Stick-3/dp/B004M25NNQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378570031&sr=8-2&keywords=wwe stick).... that's a little high, so if you can find them slightly cheaper, I'd go with that. Otherwise, maybe this will work for you?

Those WWE Brawl Fightsticks are awesome if you can pick them up for $20 to $40. They are by far the cheapest alternative to the quality of a TE. Don't worry about modding them until you get to the point where the stock buttons and stick just won't do it for you anymore. This usually happens with about two months of intense playing or maybe 6 months of casual playing.

I have both the SE and TE verisons of the Fightstick, and for me, that was how long the buttons / stick lasted in the SE before I had to replace them with the Sanwa buttons.

Also, note that if you play Skullgirls on PC only, and don't care about console, BOTH the PS3 and 360 versions of the WWE stick will work on the PC (well, the later versions of the stick anyway). I've personally tested this with my friend's WWE stick, though he got his pretty late.

I see Amazon has them for $50 (http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-WWE-Stars-Brawl-Stick-3/dp/B004M25NNQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378570031&sr=8-2&keywords=wwe stick).... that's a little high, so if you can find them slightly cheaper, I'd go with that. Otherwise, maybe this will work for you?

This is exactly the kind of information I need. I have a few more questions.

1. Are Mad Catz the end-all when it comes to stock fightsticks? And why the WWE model? Is there something wrong with the Street Fighter sticks?

2. Same question for Sanwa buttons and sticks. Is there any substitute? (Not oppose to them, just want to know my options.)

I'm eyeing this one. It's $50 on Craigslist. The buttons and stick are Sanwa. Is this a steal?
00x0x_iyboqyd5Y52_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
To answer your questions....

1A) MadCatz Fightsticks Tournament Edition are the de-facto standard for the fighting game community. They were created several years ago by MadCatz with a lot of input from some prominent fighting game community members (MarkMan and S.Kill iirc). Thus, they were created by fighters for fighters. The previous king of fight sticks I believe was the Hori HRAPs before MadCatz showed up.

1B) The WWE model is the cheapest incarnation of the MadCatz fightsticks. WWE costs 20-40, the standard edition (SE) costs about 60-80, and the tournament editions (TE) run 100 to 120. For someone who is just starting out, you would want the absolute cheapest version to see if you actually like it before investing more time / money into it later. I believe the only difference between the WWE version and the SE version is that the WWE version has some ugly art in the front of the stick and ugly button colors, which is ignorable and easily replacable.

2) If you're not a fan of Sanwa, you can try Semitsu. They also make high quality arcade sticks and buttons. Other than these two, I don't know of any other high quality sticks / buttons you can throw onto a MadCatz and still have it be good

3) To give you perspective, this is exactly one of the sticks I own (Xbox360 version). I paid $70 for the stick brand new, and after a few months of use, bought button replacements. I only replaced six of them so that costed me around $20 to $30. Amazon has these buttons for $18 now apparently (http://www.amazon.com/Green-Sanwa-Push-Buttons-OBSF-30-G/dp/B003D8897M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378578087&sr=8-1&keywords=sanwa buttons). The Sanwa stick itself costs $25 brand new. But remember, I had brand new parts, bought it when it first came out, and you're buying just now used, so I dunno what your valuation for that would be.

Bottom line:
Buy a WWE Fightstick, and pay $40 brand new but you may or may not have to replace parts later which can cost you $25 for the stick and $20 for the buttons
Buy the Craigslist stick and pay $50 but no guarantees the guy isn't lying about the parts or stick, and you don't know how much abuse the stick has gone through with the previous owner.

Buy the Craigslist stick and pay $50 but no guarantees the guy isn't lying about the parts or stick, and you don't know how much abuse the stick has gone through with the previous owner.
The buttons should have "sanwa" written on them between the contacts if he lets you open the case. As long as everything else works I'd call that a steal.

Will all fight sticks for PS3 work for PC?

No, not all PS3 fight sticks will work for PC.
Some will, but not all.

To answer your questions....

1A) MadCatz Fightsticks Tournament Edition are the de-facto standard for the fighting game community. They were created several years ago by MadCatz with a lot of input from some prominent fighting game community members (MarkMan and S.Kill iirc). Thus, they were created by fighters for fighters. The previous king of fight sticks I believe was the Hori HRAPs before MadCatz showed up.

1B) The WWE model is the cheapest incarnation of the MadCatz fightsticks. WWE costs 20-40, the standard edition (SE) costs about 60-80, and the tournament editions (TE) run 100 to 120. For someone who is just starting out, you would want the absolute cheapest version to see if you actually like it before investing more time / money into it later. I believe the only difference between the WWE version and the SE version is that the WWE version has some ugly art in the front of the stick and ugly button colors, which is ignorable and easily replacable.

2) If you're not a fan of Sanwa, you can try Semitsu. They also make high quality arcade sticks and buttons. Other than these two, I don't know of any other high quality sticks / buttons you can throw onto a MadCatz and still have it be good

3) To give you perspective, this is exactly one of the sticks I own (Xbox360 version). I paid $70 for the stick brand new, and after a few months of use, bought button replacements. I only replaced six of them so that costed me around $20 to $30. Amazon has these buttons for $18 now apparently (http://www.amazon.com/Green-Sanwa-Push-Buttons-OBSF-30-G/dp/B003D8897M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378578087&sr=8-1&keywords=sanwa buttons). The Sanwa stick itself costs $25 brand new. But remember, I had brand new parts, bought it when it first came out, and you're buying just now used, so I dunno what your valuation for that would be.

Bottom line:
Buy a WWE Fightstick, and pay $40 brand new but you may or may not have to replace parts later which can cost you $25 for the stick and $20 for the buttons

For the record, people, I did buy that Street Fighter IV stick off of Craigslist, but it's a PS3 model and does not work with my PC, unfortunately. I still got a steal though, since it came with a Sanwa stick and 8 Sanwa buttons for only $50. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to buy a used 360 SF4 stick, swap the good buttons into it, and sell the PS4 version on eBay with the Mad Catz buttons.

Last edited:
For the record, people, I did buy that Street Fighter IV stick off of Craigslist, but it's a PS3 model and does not work with my PC, unfortunately. I still got a steal though, since it came with a Sanwa stick and 6 Sanwa buttons for only $50. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to buy a used 360 SF4 stick, swap the good buttons into it, and sell the PS4 version on eBay with the Mad Catz buttons.

All is not lost yet; if your PS3 fight stick doesn't work just from plugging it into the computer, I believe it may be due to the USB chipset. There's third party drivers you can install to try to get it to work the stick. I haven't done this myself, since my experience has been with the later models of the FightSticks, but I've heard some people have gotten it to work that way.

Read through this thread from SRK and see if it helps you any:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/174237/ps3-fight-stick-te-won-t-work-on-my-pc

Oh, and please post your results here for future users with the same problem :)

Edit: Did you say SIX Sanwa buttons, or EIGHT? There's eight buttons on a typical MadCatz Fight Stick.... I only replaced 6 of the 8 on mine because I don't use the last two, but if the Craigslist guy says they're ALL Sanwa buttons, you should have eight Sanwa buttons.

All is not lost yet; if your PS3 fight stick doesn't work just from plugging it into the computer, I believe it may be due to the USB chipset. There's third party drivers you can install to try to get it to work the stick. I haven't done this myself, since my experience has been with the later models of the FightSticks, but I've heard some people have gotten it to work that way.

Read through this thread from SRK and see if it helps you any:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/174237/ps3-fight-stick-te-won-t-work-on-my-pc

Oh, and please post your results here for future users with the same problem :)

Edit: Did you say SIX Sanwa buttons, or EIGHT? There's eight buttons on a typical MadCatz Fight Stick.... I only replaced 6 of the 8 on mine because I don't use the last two, but if the Craigslist guy says they're ALL Sanwa buttons, you should have eight Sanwa buttons.

I spent about an hour last night trying to get it working with drivers and such before I passed out in frustration. I'm going to try again tonight, but I'm not optimistic. I have also heard that you can buy USB cards with the correct chipset on them for less than $5. I am definitely going to do that in the meantime since I don't have enough money to buy two sticks in the same week.

As for the buttons, I said 6 were Sanwa at first, but I was thinking the controller only had 6 buttons. I have edited my post to say 8.

Edit: And I will definitely post all findings here as I try to get this thing working.