• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Ōban Star-Racers

LaCheshireZorua

People die when they are dead.
Reaction score
PSN
KingCheshireZorua
Unknown
Oban_promo_poster.jpg

In short form, a half-French, half-Japanese anime that (in my opinion) never got the attention that it deserved to have, and desperately needed.

In longer form, Ōban Star-Racers is a, as stated, half-Japanese and half-French anime that aired in 2006. The show, created by Savin Yeatman-Eiffel (adding that onto the list of names that are super cool), was originally thought up as far back as 1997, and took almost a decade to get done the way it's creator envisioned it to be done. There were lots of hurdles, as Savin, due to not wanting to work under another company for fear of not getting the desired creative control he wanted, deciding to start his own studio, called Sav! the World Productions.

After spending almost a decade getting funds together, perfecting the animation alongside Japanese studios, securing the best talent from France and Japan that he could find, writing the scripts for all 26 episodes in several languages, averting Executive Meddling, and polishing it up to a mirror shine, it was finally ready to air.

The story goes that every 10,000 years, racing teams from all over the universe are gathered by the mysterious Avatar to compete in the Great Race of Ōban, a race with much more at stake than just honor or prize money. According to legend, the winner is awarded the Ultimate Prize, which is rumored to grant any wish, from large-scale destruction to, perhaps, the resurrection of a loved one. Some want it for glory, others as a way of universal domination. However, the true nature of the Prize is shrouded in mystery, and things are not what they appear to be...

Eva Wei (our main protagonist) is caught in the middle of it all while trying to find her father, who had abandoned her after the death of her mother. Under the name of "Molly", she joins her dad's racing team to the outer reaches of space, where they take part in the Great Race. Having learned of the Prize, she hopes to win it to bring back her mother and put her family's life back together.

This thread is here to discuss the show, characters, headcannons, fanart, interesting facts that no one is probably aware of regarding the show... if it's Ōban, it's here. :)

Reactions: SanoBaron
SPIRIT WAS THE BEST!
spirit2.gif

D; its a shame he wasn't used that much in the latter episodes...

Oban is like the Reboot for the new millenium.

Last edited:
Lies, we all should know Õ was the best one!
O_color.jpg
I mean, really!

hey.... shut up!
Dem+Pheels.+Source+Oban+Star+Racer_e19079_4800884.jpg

Muir is my favorite of the Oban cycle.
Muir_original.jpg

What I really enjoyed about Spirit was that he didn't drive a racer, he was his OWN racer.

It really makes me think about the possible anatomy of the Phils, you know? Like, do they all have that polymorphic ability that he has, or is he just special? Or maybe, as a third option, they have all share the morphing ability, but he's just super good at it! The possibilities are endless here!

Reactions: SanoBaron
What I really enjoyed about Spirit was that he didn't drive a racer, he was his OWN racer.
this is why he's the best! he ain't no pussy hidin' behind some steering wheel! he gonna Usain Bolt up and down the track and you can't even stop him!

I don't remember much of this show beyond really digging Eva/Molly's goggles and character design, but thanks for reminding me of this show, gotta go watch it again.

Hey I remember it, it was localized and released in my country with not bad dubbing. It was pretty ejoyable and with a nice twist ending.