• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

OkidokiSirs diary (lol)

Okidoki_Sir

ambitious noob
Reaction score
Well, there is no sticky, so if I do something wrong please tell me, instead of just deleting.

About me:
I got the game last Sunday which is about 8 days ago. Since then I spend (almost) all of my time in training mode. I am rather new to fighting games so I have a heard time, even learning the basic combos. I got my stick 2 days ago, so I was starting all over again :D

I main:
Well, you can't call it "main", because I have never played an online match. But I am actually learning Cerebella and Valentine. I thought that one slow and one fast character would match pretty good. And boobs.

So, to keep up some kind of structure, I will start a new post for the first entry of the "diary".

Here we go. Today I did not play any SG so far. I came back from work a hour ago, checked reddit and saw that this forum was back online. I did not own the game by the time it went down, but people were talking about it a LOT on reddit, so I immediately made an account and lurked a little.

I will go to the training mode later that day and practice Cerebellas and Valentines basic combos. I have a hard time, getting used to the stick, but I thought, the earlier I learn it, the less skill will be lost in the process. This is because I do not have any skill. I have never had a real battle, due to the fact that I am kinda afraid of it. I want to have the basic combos at 75% succes rate, before I actually learn WHEN to use them. So today will be a shitload of grinding and timing adjustment aswell. I really find this kinda relaxing after a long day at work :)

Post your combos once you get them sorted! The same goes for if you struggle with them so people can offer help.

Also once you've picked up BnBs for Val and Bella you should just jump online without hesitation, it's the best place to learn to play. Even if you don't land a hit you'll still be improving, and eventually you'll be dishing out the spankings to other players.

But how am I supposed to improve online? It is really hard to imagine, that I would learn something from losing really really hard. I mean, even if I see what they do, I am still not able to do it :D For my combos, I am just doing the basic stuff.

Cerebella: j.HK - c.LK - c.MP - c.HP - j.MP - j.HK - c.LK - c.MP - s.HK - horizontal copter - vertical copter (super)
Valentine: j.HP - c.LK - c.MK (only 1. hit) - c.HP - j.HP - j.HK - slice through with HK - (on ground) super slice through
(I don't know the actual names, but I am sure, everybody understands :D)
Do these count as BnBs? I don't think so :D Also: Any idea to put an assist into these, to get more damage?

My main problem is combining accuracy and speed. When trying to input the stuff right on time, I very often mess it up, by making sloppy quartercycles, holding down down too long, etc. I think nobody can help me with that :/ I got the timing and my fingers know what to do, but once they get excited, the kinda become unprecise.

For assists set Bella's to spinny hand attack (forward, down, down-forward HP) as this is great for easily extending combos, using as a shield or making blockstrings longer to help with mix-ups. I don't know what people's verdict is on the best Val assist but her slice-through HK seems like it'd be good for pressure (which, when you're playing as Bella is what you want) but her c.MK or c.HK (whichever one has 2 hits) is what a lot of people use for extending blockstrings to help with mix-ups.

In terms of your combos, yeah they look good enough. I don't really play Val unless I'm against a new guy to try and balance the playing field a bit, but my combo for her is usually:
c.LP -> c.MP -> c.HP -> j.MP -> j.HK -> air-dash cancel after second hit -> j.MK -> j.HK -> any air super
Dunno if that's better or worse than yours but it's pretty easy to pull off, also you can grab after air-dash cancelling and follow up with the scalpel super for some extra damage but don't do it too much as they'll see it coming.

I notice you use jump-ins for your BnBs, these are good but a lot of the time they won't work, so you have to come up with something for if they manage to block as you use your first jump-in attack (like the Kanchou thing I mentioned with Bella). I think with Val if you jump-in with j.HP then air-dash cancel into j.MP you'll catch people off guard, also try grabbing upon landing as her's leads into an easy combo. Against scrubs, if they block your moves as you attack with Val do the command grab move (down, down-back, back, grab input) as they won't see this coming or won't jump out of the way/hit you in time to stop it.

Finally, playing any 2D fighter has 2 main factors: offence and defence. If all you know are long combos but your defence sucks then you'll only be able to beat up maybe 20% of your opponents. If your defence is good and your offence is average you can beat up maybe 30%. Defence is pretty dang important. Knowing what you can counter, when you need to block, how you can dodge while moving in for an attack and being able to read when your opponent is going to attempt a reset or mixup are all contributors to defence, and you can't learn that in training mode nor against the CPU. Even if you spend the match getting bodied hard you'll still be able to see what they did that caught you off guard so often, or what you were doing wrong, and eventually you'll be able to fix that flaw in your strategy and succumb to it far less.

You could play someone once and they'd destroy you with a series of grab resets that you've never seen before, but in the next match you'd know they have a fondness of grabbing so you'd be prepared to break their grabs. If someone uses a lot of flight-cancels mid-blockstring with Painwheel to hit you high when you're blocking low then you'll be more prepared to switch from crouching defence to standing defence and make their advances useless.

Also scrubs jump a lot for jump-ins and such, be aware of this and jump up to them for an air-grab. First moves are usually indicative of how they plan on playing too (as well as their skill level). If someone goes for a basic jump-in that is easily countered then they're a scrub. They'll probably attempt the same thing next round. Likewise people who play as different characters will start the match differently, Peacocks will try to get distance, Parasouls go straight onto the defensive, Filia's will IAD into j.HP->j.HK. Playing online will familiarise you with what people do, what it shows about them, and how you can beat them!

Reactions: Pheno
I see, thanks a lot for the info! I will be back later (maybe in a week or so), because I can't play today :/ But I will answer in some more detail, so please stay with me and provide further useful tips, when I need them :D

Alright, now I have time to post something longer. But I won't be able to play on Friday and Saturday :(

Replies:

c.LP -> c.MP -> c.HP -> j.MP -> j.HK -> air-dash cancel after second hit -> j.MK -> j.HK -> any air super
Actually I tried that combo and I really do not like it :D When it comes to the damage, they are almost equal, but I learned the one I mentioned already, so maybe I will learn your one later. Thanks anyway! :)

notice you use jump-ins for your BnBs, these are good but a lot of the time they won't work, so you have to come up with something for if they manage to block as you use your first jump-in attack (like the Kanchou thing I mentioned with Bella). I think with Val if you jump-in with j.HP then air-dash cancel into j.MP you'll catch people off guard, also try grabbing upon landing as her's leads into an easy combo. Against scrubs, if they block your moves as you attack with Val do the command grab move (down, down-back, back, grab input) as they won't see this coming or won't jump out of the way/hit you in time to stop it.
Well, the fact that the combo starts with a jump does not mean that I have to do the jump. I can simply start with the c.LK if I do not get the opportunity to jump, I think. At least this worked the times I tried it. Of course it is less damage, but I want to land some hits, before I extend the combos.

Finally, playing any 2D fighter has 2 main factors: offence and defence. If all you know are long combos but your defence sucks then you'll only be able to beat up maybe 20% of your opponents. If your defence is good and your offence is average you can beat up maybe 30%. Defence is pretty dang important. Knowing what you can counter, when you need to block, how you can dodge while moving in for an attack and being able to read when your opponent is going to attempt a reset or mixup are all contributors to defence, and you can't learn that in training mode nor against the CPU. Even if you spend the match getting bodied hard you'll still be able to see what they did that caught you off guard so often, or what you were doing wrong, and eventually you'll be able to fix that flaw in your strategy and succumb to it far less.

You could play someone once and they'd destroy you with a series of grab resets that you've never seen before, but in the next match you'd know they have a fondness of grabbing so you'd be prepared to break their grabs. If someone uses a lot of flight-cancels mid-blockstring with Painwheel to hit you high when you're blocking low then you'll be more prepared to switch from crouching defence to standing defence and make their advances useless.
I tried to fight online today, but there was NO lobby and quicksearch did not connect me to anybody either. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to set up something first? I play on steam.

I could teach you a good Beginner BnB for valentine. It does about 4-4.5k damage, but it is very easy to learn, and may be a bit of a help to you so you can improve on the combo later (which I did, bumping it up to about 6 or 7k damage).

My steam name is .iG xVirtualNinjax, feel free to hit me up and we can go in a training lobby
I kinda like my Val combo and I want to learn the basics of movement and blocking, before I try to learn new combos. But I would love to do some sparring with you and get some tips. I added you on steam :)

Other stuff:

I fought my first real matches today (after spending ~20hrs in training/tutorial), but it was not against other players. I wanted to try playing online, but no lobby was there to join and quickjoin did not work either. I think the playbase is way too small to get me some opponent at 5pm :( Well, what I did was playing the arcade mode, normal difficulty. I lost my first match. Hard. But I really did not know any move, other than my 2 combos, so this did not surprise me. Then I tried different things, tried to block the short combos the CPU threw at me and even was able to do some grabs :D But I really lack the ability to take decisions in a reasonable time, so I ended up blocking, almost the whole time. Most of the games I won, were victories due to the clock running out. Now here are some things that were bothering me in particular:

- What to do, when the enemy jumps over my head and I do not know what direction to block?
- How to avoid Peacock from spamming her missiles and zoning hard?
- How to travel fast with Val and Bella?
- How to calm down and remove the annoying adrenaline out of your body?

Well, I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for any answers :)

P.S.: I would love to have a sparring partner who would try online training with me and explain stuff to me :) So if you are bored and want to help a noob in need, contact me. I am online around 6pm central time everyday, except for weekends :D

Firstly, it's good that you have a preferred combo. Everyone plays games differently so it's best to find the way that suits you.

Secondly, I usually only have one or two main combos with each character, everything else I need to know is what I need to do to set up that combo (how to set it up from counters, how to reset it, how to turn it into a mixup setup, starting it in the air, etc.) and I'm pretty sure it's the same for most players. The 'requirement' for being able to legitimately play a match with decent damage output is knowing a mid-screen combo that works on anyone and a corner combo that works on anyone. As for learning how to set up those combos in an actual match, that comes down to playing more matches!

- What to do, when the enemy jumps over my head and I do not know what direction to block?
- How to avoid Peacock from spamming her missiles and zoning hard?
- How to travel fast with Val and Bella?
- How to calm down and remove the annoying adrenaline out of your body?

Well, I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for any answers :)

P.S.: I would love to have a sparring partner who would try online training with me and explain stuff to me :) So if you are bored and want to help a noob in need, contact me. I am online around 6pm central time everyday, except for weekends :D
1 - When they're around the middle of you, point in the opposite direction to where they're moving. It can be confusing at first when this happens quickly and you're too busy focusing on blocking high, but after a very short while you'll get the hang of it

2 - I'm not sure what Val can do in a fight against a zoning Peacock other than rush in on her (which I'll talk a little about in the next answer). Bella can deflect projectiles with her Diamond Deflector move (forward, down, down-forward, LP) but it takes a bit of practise to get the hang of timing it (use training mode for this) and experience to get the hang of reading when your opponent is going to use a projectile (requiring matches against human players). This is good if you've blocked an Argus Agony, as there is enough time between the laser thinning out and the large number of projectiles being fired to fit a move in, use Diamond Deflector and you'll maybe take 1 or 2 hits, but Peacock will be put into a stagger so you can close any distance and maybe fit in a combo. Also, once you're close enough Bella's charge attacks (charge back, forward, any kick, any kick*) can absorb damage you might take from projectiles (specifically Battle Butt) or just dodge entirely (with Kanchou). Battle Butt is the safer option but can't always be turned into a combo, Kanchou can give you a simple OTG that can lead into a combo.

3 - For Bella use her dash, j.HP and Tumble Run (charge back, forward, any kick) to move forward quickly. For Valentine, her ground dash is quite fast, her air dash is good for dodging Parasoul's Napalm Shots as well as other projectiles while approaching enemies, and her HK Savage Bypass (down, down-back, back, HK) can be done close to the ground to move to where the enemy is and sometimes catch them off guard with a hit (follow up with Checkmate Incision: down, down-forward, forward, 2 punch buttons and then an air dash cancel into j.MP to turn a hit into a combo).

4 - Once you get used to things it'll die down. It won't go away though, when you're against someone better than or as good as you and matches get really intense there will be times where you lose your cool to the excitement. It's just another part of the game.

Secondly, I usually only have one or two main combos with each character, everything else I need to know is what I need to do to set up that combo (how to set it up from counters, how to reset it, how to turn it into a mixup setup, starting it in the air, etc.) and I'm pretty sure it's the same for most players. The 'requirement' for being able to legitimately play a match with decent damage output is knowing a mid-screen combo that works on anyone and a corner combo that works on anyone. As for learning how to set up those combos in an actual match, that comes down to playing more matches!
I never understood this: How on earth is a combo in the corner different from one midscreen? Every difference can be equalized by doing different jumps, can't it? Well at least that is what I was always thinking, so I simply learned Mid-Screen combos :D

2 - I'm not sure what Val can do in a fight against a zoning Peacock other than rush in on her (which I'll talk a little about in the next answer). Bella can deflect projectiles with her Diamond Deflector move (forward, down, down-forward, LP) but it takes a bit of practise to get the hang of timing it (use training mode for this) and experience to get the hang of reading when your opponent is going to use a projectile (requiring matches against human players). This is good if you've blocked an Argus Agony, as there is enough time between the laser thinning out and the large number of projectiles being fired to fit a move in, use Diamond Deflector and you'll maybe take 1 or 2 hits, but Peacock will be put into a stagger so you can close any distance and maybe fit in a combo. Also, once you're close enough Bella's charge attacks (charge back, forward, any kick, any kick*) can absorb damage you might take from projectiles (specifically Battle Butt) or just dodge entirely (with Kanchou). Battle Butt is the safer option but can't always be turned into a combo, Kanchou can give you a simple OTG that can lead into a combo.
These armored moves are a pretty good option I think. But they only travel a few steps, don't they? Reflecting projectiles sounds awesome, too. But Peacock is firing 10 things a second, so I think it is impossibru to counter every single one. Apart from that it kinda makes you stuck in the same place :o
And again: How am I supposed to play online, when there is nobody to play with? :(

Again, thanks a lot! :)

Corner combos are a lot easier to make longer because they can't be pushed further away by moves and there's wall bounces which can be extended with OTGs, Val has some really damaging corner combos that don't use much meter and Bella has some easy ones that deal tons of damage. With Bella in the corner try:
c.LP -> c.MP -> s.HK -> Merry-Go-Rilla -> Diamond Dynamo -> c.LK -> s.MK -> s.HK -> Merry-Go-Rilla ->Diamond Dynamo (-> DHC)

Diamond Deflector is a better option than you might think, it's what I use against zoning Peacocks because it puts them in stagger, giving you plenty of time to move around or attack. The only issue is you need to have good reflexes and have a good idea of how a Peacock player usually attacks to deflect her moves effectively.

Also, from what I hear quick match or private invites are the way to get matches on the PC version, head to the PC Matchmaking thread and ask if anyone wants to try playing with you. Also a lot of people will be online later; on PSN I have to wait until 8pm (British Time) before anyone really starts showing up that has a connection I can play against, but PSN is kinda dead at the moment, I would assume PC would have more players.

Thanks again :) I can't try this out, because i am at my gf's house this weekend, but I will tell you how I have done, when have returned :)

OH MY GOD! I PLAYED ONLINE AND WON MY VERY FIRST GAME! (all the others ended due to connection issues) :) But then I got kicked by the host :( I decided to solo Bella, until I am atleast decent with her. During the game I dropped my combo all the time, but still won. I think this was due to the quick grabs and j.HP. But after pulling off so many grabs, I really wish for some follow up. Is there a combo, to follow Bellas standard grab?

Corner combos are a lot easier to make longer because they can't be pushed further away by moves and there's wall bounces which can be extended with OTGs, Val has some really damaging corner combos that don't use much meter and Bella has some easy ones that deal tons of damage. With Bella in the corner try:
c.LP -> c.MP -> s.HK -> Merry-Go-Rilla -> Diamond Dynamo -> c.LK -> s.MK -> s.HK -> Merry-Go-Rilla ->Diamond Dynamo (-> DHC)
Didn't try that so far. I think I will do so later and will report, how I did :D

Also, from what I hear quick match or private invites are the way to get matches on the PC version, head to the PC Matchmaking thread and ask if anyone wants to try playing with you. Also a lot of people will be online later; on PSN I have to wait until 8pm (British Time) before anyone really starts showing up that has a connection I can play against, but PSN is kinda dead at the moment, I would assume PC would have more players.
Yeah, I will do so. Hopefully somebody from Europe is willing to beat the shit out of me :D

edit: I tried your corner combo now. The Merry-go-Rilla does not combo, does it? I mean, I no matter how I time it, it either fails or starts a new combo (at least the counter says so) :(

edit edit:
And how am I supposed to c.LK after the Dynamo? Even at 10% speed I don't get the timing :/

Last edited:
Ok, first of all, good job in the online match! You were probably against some chump that thought you were "spamming" (as seems to be the scrubbiest of scrubby terms) which would be why you got booted so there's no problem there with you.

Bella's standard grab can't be followed up, but Diamond Drop can be followed up with a quickly done Diamond Dynamo.

Merry-Go-Rilla works if you cancel as the second s.HK hit connects, I start the input just before the second hit comes out. c.LK after Diamond Dynamo is an OTG, basically it'll hit them off the ground as they lie there. Wait for Dynamo to end and then use c.LK (post a video if you're still having troubles).

Also, the second s.HK hit is an overhead, so use it at the end of blockstrings followed by Merry-Go-Rilla (once you've got the timing sorted out) to catch people off guard.

I made a short video, but it takes eternities to upload, so I think it is impossibru to get it on youtube :/ Could you show me a video with this combo instead? i tried every possible timing, but the grapple never works. There is always some kind of white sparks and Bella just cancels, but does not do the Gorilla :/

Whelp... I was being an idiot. It's not Merry-Go-Rilla, it's Cerecopter...

Maaaaaaan :D Now I even resized my video and put it on youtube! Here it is anyway :D

I will try the new combo now :P

What about the 2nd Gorilla? It follows an s.HK aswell, so I assume this has to be a copter aswell?

edit: I pulled it off with replacing the 2nd Gorilla, too. But it only deals 80 extra damage when compared to my basic combo (which I can do in the corner too), but uses an additional meter. Is there anything I can do to increase the damage output of the corner (like adding extra moves)? DHC is not an option, because I decided to solo Bella.

Last edited:
You can do an air combo leading to a restand (j.LP -> j.LP -> j.LP -> j.HP timed properly), then pull off the corner combo I've given you.

Personally I usually do this:
s.LP -> c.MP -> c.HP -jump> j.LP -> j.LP -> j.LP -> j.HP -land> s.LP -> c.MP -> s.HK (or s.HP) -> Cerecopter -> Diamond Dynamo -> c.LK -> s.MK -> s.HK (or s.HP) -> Cerecopter -> Diamond Dynamo

Another bonus of doing it like this is that it can lead them into the corner if they're not quite there yet.