• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Painwheel short combos?

sanslogique

Reaction score
PSN
sanslogique
Squigly Valentine Painwheel
Hey all,

I'm new to Skullgirls and fighting games. I have the sad fortune to be most interested in Painwheel. I've been reading as much as I can, but a lot of posts are still too advanced for me.

I've been trying to learn this combo, from the BnB compendium thread:

c.lk, c.mk, s.hp xx L Buer Reaper xx Flight,
6j.lk,
c.mk, s.hp xx L Gae Bolga Stinger,
. . .

I'm really struggling with the timing between flight->6j.lk->c.mk. I almost always drop the combo between those two. Is this even a problem? It's not like I'm missing the moves, I just can't chain them quite right.

That leads me into my main question: are there any good short combos, maybe 5 moves or so, that I can just learn a handful of to get me in the game? I'm hoping that if there are, I can learn those and start working on learning hit confirmation, neutral game, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Try switching c.mk for c.lk in the BnB, it's faster so the link gets a lot easier.

Here's an easy short combo:

c.lk, c.mk, s.hp xx L Buer Reaper xx Flight,
9j.lp, j.lk,
c.mp, s.hp xx L Gae Bolga Stinger,
dash, s.lp, s.lk, c.mp, s.hp xx L Buer Reaper xx Death Crawl

this one has no hard links and does 6091 dmg

Also this video guide is a great tool to help getting started on painwheel. :)

Reactions: sanslogique
if you're actively playing matches and don't plan on going into practice mode, start with one chain > super.

then try to add on a chain to your combo every day.

For example, day 1
cLk cMK sHP L-Buer Deathcrawl

then day 2
cLk cMK sHP L-Buer Fly
9jLP jLK cLK cMK sHP L-Buer Deathcrawl

day 3
cLk cMK sHP L-Buer Fly
9jLP jLK cLK cMK sHP L-Nail
dash sLP sLK cMK sHP L-Buer Deathcrawl

When you get to the point where you're running out of undizzy, you can start looking up more optimal combos. Don't think you have to have super crazy full-undizzy combos starting out; Taluda has crazier stuff now, but for the longest time he was a great example of someone that just used super simple-but-consistent combos and never misses confirms.

Things like fly 3jLP sMP link or fly jLK cMK link are good to know/have, but not at all essential if you don't feel comfortable with them.

just going to add on to what hilary said and say that pw is best approached in baby steps. as someone who only recently moved onto advanced tech i can definitely say that she can be a bit overwhelming to learn. just pace yourself and experiment with the crazy unfly links when youre ready because the simple stuff will give you a lot of insight into how she works. also heres a more technical pw guide if it helps. all the info in the guide will be a bit much at the moment but it'll have its uses later on.

Reactions: sanslogique
Thank you guys for the super helpful responses! I'm out of town and forgot to bring the cable to my fightstick >_< I'll update once I've had the chance to grind some of this out.

What does 9jLp and 3jHP mean?

its numpad notation:

imagine arrows pointing outward around the 5, looking at it like that 2=down, 8=up, etc. And the notation is always from the player 1 side, so 6=forward and 4=back.

So 9j.lp means j.lp while holding up forward, and 3j.hp means j.hp while holding down forward.

Reactions: pwMaC84