• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Painwheel Stuck in the corner? What2Do??

Nuuance

Level 51 Pastrymancer
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Steam
Nuuance
Squigly Eliza
So I'm pretty sure I wanna pick up painwheel since she has so much flavor & canceling fun stuff along with squigly....not to mention great palette combinations, but my biggest question is WHAT do you do when stuck in a corner? Honestly every time I get there...I can't figure out what to do...and I also notice many other painwheels I corner seem to go down much easier as well. What do I do?

...real solutions please. No "just don't get in the corner" stuff.

After a successful pushblock, sometimes you can upback and air super. Air grab probably also works but I frequently forget Painwheel has an air grab (need to work on this).

This is assuming they jump, of course, but... well... it's Skullgirls. Why would anyone ever not jump?

Well "don't get in the corner" is honestly the best advice.

You have to work your game around NOT being in that bad position, since PW doesn't have any real get out of jail cards outside of making a super solid defensive read.

What I see PWs do is pair themselves up with a solid reversal assist, letting you maximize what you can do in block stun (i.e. Alpha Counter). The only good reversal she has is her air super, which is risky, and she doesn't have many pbgc options (clarification from someone else).

But yeah...i would say work on your neutral and positioning game more then anything if its a frequent problem, its honestly the best advice for a character like PW

If they jump at you, and they're high enough, you can sometimes dash under them. It's a pretty safe strat since anytime after the startup you can block.

Vulpes covered the correct solutions.

The only thing I would add is back throw..., gets you killed as much as it helps out... But completely turns the tables on a bad position into a good or winning one so its worth remembering and going for.

Well "don't get in the corner" is honestly the best advice.

You have to work your game around NOT being in that bad position, since PW doesn't have any real get out of jail cards outside of making a super solid defensive read.

What I see PWs do is pair themselves up with a solid reversal assist, letting you maximize what you can do in block stun (i.e. Alpha Counter). The only good reversal she has is her air super, which is risky, and she doesn't have many pbgc options (clarification from someone else).

But yeah...i would say work on your neutral and positioning game more then anything if its a frequent problem, its honestly the best advice for a character like PW
yeah i definitely get not trying to get to the corner, but some good players tailor combos completely around pushing people to corners...i mean my squigly is so corner driven it's not even funny :P but the alpha counter is actually a good idea :P i had kind of forgotten about it. Good points :)

yeah i definitely get not trying to get to the corner, but some good players tailor combos completely around pushing people to corners...i mean my squigly is so corner driven it's not even funny :P but the alpha counter is actually a good idea :P i had kind of forgotten about it. Good points :)

PW does pretty bad in the corner, but I find I don't end up there often (relative) as PW is so damn aggressive.

You can get lucky with HG when you catch a second to breath. Pushblock into j.mp can work, but PW air priority is shit and it is suicide vs a parasoul jump in or an airthrow. I usually have the best luck with charge s.hp, c.hk, or s.mp though.

PW does pretty bad in the corner, but I find I don't end up there often (relative) as PW is so damn aggressive.

You can get lucky with HG when you catch a second to breath. Pushblock into j.mp can work, but PW air priority is shit and it is suicide vs a parasoul jump in or an airthrow. I usually have the best luck with charge s.hp, c.hk, or s.mp though.[/QUOTE

I am going to try using those Ideas because I also run into trouble when I get cornered. I never thought of using hatred guard. interesting

Dash Under is better than you may think it is, especially as just a general movement option. You'll need to be more patient as PW on defense, smart pushblocks are key to create an opening for things like dash under, super jump over to come down on them or fly past them. If you come down on the other side of them with j.hk people tend to just push block out of habit so you can land get push blocked and back dash, great you are now clear on the other side of the screen away from them and you can reset the situation hopefully to your favor.

Opening up the appropriate breathing room also enables you to stuff them with armored normals. I always recommend cr.mp or cr.hp in some situations.

That aside keep two meters stocked, if you are a team like other people said. While Death Crawl isn't a good super to throw out, if you have a better super to DHC, you can often get under and DHC to that super. Be quick about it though as Crawl has little invincibility and will get stuffed fast.

I still don't really know what to do against an assist backed Filia though. Just be amazing.

I noticed that today while I was fighting one of my friends that dashing under does work sometimes but I run into problems with fila when he does the instant air dash into j.HP followed by the clamp. I find this combination difficult to push block. Thanks for the information and I will try out cr.mp and cr.hp to get used to them.

do what i do and establish dominance by superjumping, flying while not moving at all for a few moments, and fly right above them out of the corner