• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Pressure paths a.k.a. "WTF do I do after blockstring into LP tear"

Cynical

Sulphur and Mercury
Reaction score
Steam
Changes constantly; search for "Cynical" and look for my avatar.
Eliza Parasoul Cerebella
So, my Parasoul block pressure still sucks, and I don't really know what my options are for continuing pressure after LP tear.

I've messed around a bunch with c.mp detonate -> dash back in, but that's loose as hell, and loses to just about anyone pushing buttons (looking on SRK, blockstun on the tear detonation is only 16 frames, less than active + recovery of c.mp, so I'm not even at frame advantage after it).

The other options I know of are tear shot -> j.hp (or j.lp if I expect a jump), or tear shot -> mixups with f.lp/throw/c.lk. There's also b.hk -> Egret Call at the end of my chain (instead of doing tear), which is something I need to do more.

Anything I'm missing? When should I be doing these various options? Where does c.mp detonate fit into all of this; I see good Parasoul players doing it, but I don't understand the logic behind it.

The key is to call an assist during the tear shot to keep lockdown going. LNL or Copter work if Bella is what is behind your Soul.

Reactions: Cynical
So, my Parasoul block pressure still sucks, and I don't really know what my options are for continuing pressure after LP tear.

I've messed around a bunch with c.mp detonate -> dash back in, but that's loose as hell, and loses to just about anyone pushing buttons (looking on SRK, blockstun on the tear detonation is only 16 frames, less than active + recovery of c.mp, so I'm not even at frame advantage after it).

The other options I know of are tear shot -> j.hp (or j.lp if I expect a jump), or tear shot -> mixups with f.lp/throw/c.lk. There's also b.hk -> Egret Call at the end of my chain (instead of doing tear), which is something I need to do more.

Anything I'm missing? When should I be doing these various options? Where does c.mp detonate fit into all of this; I see good Parasoul players doing it, but I don't understand the logic behind it.

My parasoul has gotten pretty decent (we've played against each other before, dont know if you remember) but keeping pressure on with parasoul is incredibly easy after tear shot. There are a couple of options that you didnt list however that i feel are crucial:

Bnb pressure (use when you have a lockdown assist available)

mp fireball plus assist works great with pw cr.mp, filia hk hairball, can be somewhat wonky with cerecopter or lk bomber depending on pushblock and distance used.

But me personally with painwheel cr.mp assist i use:
Cr.lk,cr.mk,st.hp x2 xx back,forward mp+lk (which does a mp tear and and calls out painwheel lockdown at the same time)

If you dont have assist available though, you still have concrete pressure options:

Lp tear, raw lk detonate. (Catches buttons and is the quickest attack parasoul can pressure the opponent with and gives parasoul a frame advantage on block and hit)

Lp tear, hp tear, (crazy chip damage and frame advantage) and can be used to try to go back in or to setup ranged game.

Lp tear, dash in cr.lk tick throw cr.lk, b+hk, or dash in raw throw (dash in raw overhead is a non standard option here imho, you really need a good read for it to not be highly dangerous, or for it to be successful)

I dont personally use cr.mp after blocked tear, but it is a good option. I just feel like the ones i use work better for me.

And thats all midscreen, once you have the opponent cornered the pressure becomes just silly with calling out a lockdown assist then switching between doing another long chain into the same lockdown assist, or doing like a stomp or 2 then mixup with coming down with j.hk for 3 highs, or airthrow (fastfall,wiffs) into cr.lk when you land for crazy high/low pressure and of course if your opponent guessed correct... You just tear plus lockdown assist again and do it all over again... (The pressure is way to real)

So yeah those are you basic options. Also remember that you can always back off after a tear and resume your midrange game... Its what i do if i sniff out something i dont like, like a reversal.