• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

PRIDE - Indie Fighting game

Shaman

Reaction score
Hello everyone !
I think I'm allowed to talk there about my game ? Not sure lol but I saw some amateur projects. By the way, that Beast Fury topic was funny, they got so much money from all those promisses only to crash into walls.
I didn't want to talk too early in the development, because talking about something that doesn't exist is a bit retarded and too much developers did that and failed afterwards.
So ... I'm doing a fighting game, this is called PRIDE.

rn5pGQy.png

Why PRIDE ? Because the pride is omnipresent in fighting, and fighting games. Every character in fighting games has that big ego, taunting, telling or thinking he's always the best.
And it's the same for fighting game players. All that salt, all those stories, they were born from players' pride "colliding".

So ...

Let's start with the game creation workflow :
You might ask yourself (or you might not care at all of course) how I could make a fighting game alone, since there are so much animations to do, and that's the part where everybody fails to deliver their project.
That's because I am using pre rendered 3D and motion capture.

- First, I create my character on Zbrush (naked modeling), Marvelous Designer (cloth) and Cinema4D (shading, rigging).
- Then, when it's rigged, I'm calling my mate Karnage, which is a great martial artist, having done mutiple kung fu trips to malaysia and stuff.
- Then, we setup a Perception Neuron session. We are recording in a boxing room, which is kindly borrowed to us every saturday night in my city's gym. The sandbags, tatami, boxing ring and mirrors help us a lot, as he can adjust himself, I also can watch what's happening, if the animation is too rigid, too realistic, because I'm looking for a semicartoon (cartoon for the impact/tension feels, but realistic in the fighting styles, a jab has to be a boxing jab not a random bitch slap)
- After that, I clean the motion capture, apply it to the 3D model and clean the curves.
- When everything is cool, I simulate the hair and cloth as it's impossible to have that realtime. Then I export the 30-60 renders as frame, and pickup the ones that fit the closest to fighting game keyframes (which have that ... geometric, straight feel when looking to)

You can see the results if you scroll down.

The TEAM :
The team is really small, but everyone's a ronin mercenary. Actually, I'm almost doing everything, and taking some freelancers to make the work I can't learn to do (because it's too long or to complex)

- Shaman (me) (France) : I'm doing all the gamedesign, programming, art, 3D modeling, animation, sound effect design and communication lol
- Karnage (France) : my martial artist mate. He knows a lot of fighting styles, is a complete fighting maniac, and so helps designing every move so they have a reality. He determined each character's fighting style suiting to their personality. I usually tell him "ok for this guy, his high kick must have a big hitbox straight in front of him", and then, he answers "ok what do you think of that ... big front boxing kick, braa". And it's usually perfect. He's the one being recorded for the 3D animations.
- Yoni Collier (UK) : this man is the game composer. We are working a lot together, he's playing a bit of guitar, keys, and mainly composes. He did the musics. For the tracks needing big guitar shred and stuff, we called his friend Chris.
- Chris (UK) : Chris is a UK jazz guitarist. He's touring a lot across the world. To have solos on the character tracks, we needed him. So I took a flight to Yoni's place in October, and we had Chris come one saturday and do all the guitar parts on every track that needed it. After that Yoni cleaned the parts and integrated it to the tracks.
- Boonpeang Brown (Thailand) : he's the Sagat of the group. Boonpeang is programming the netplay - The matchmaking aspect, static with php and sql queries, and the ingame netplay, that will include a very light offline input delay (probably 3F) on everything and rollbacks, to hide the lag.
- Saori Goda & Yoshi Amao (Japan - America) : those guys are dubbing the game. They are japanese actors and voice actors, expats in New York, and members of a samurai show troop. Yoshi Amao is also animating some random japanese shows, where people get covered in water and everything has flashy colors.

Then a brief synopsis :
It's a kind of X-Men thing. Once in the past, there was a war opposing some humans that have superpowers, and some that didn't but mastered technology. The humans that weren't 'godgiven' won that war, killed almost every men, jailed some other men in an underwater sealed prison, and exiled the remaining people in a distant continent.
After that, a man, which had a great power, managed to flee from the submarine prison to the continent, and led the second war to gain back power on the technology people. After that, new generations of mixed people lived and died in that world.

Okay let's not be boring, nobody cares about fighting game stories. It's either too basic and stupid to really take seriously, or too complicated for a fighting game !

The Gameplay :
I'm a KOF player. This game is going to be greatly KOF13 inspired. There will be :
- It's 1vs1, but you have 3 lifebars one on top of the other, meaning when you get K.Oed the other guy keeps his life advantage.
- Kof movement options (hop/jump, normal/super jump if down or dash is detected before the jump, running, rolls, backdash)
- When getting knocked down, a special "drift on ground" animation will be available instead of the kof tech-roll, by holding "forward". This animation will be special cancelable (think, knocked down, drift, reflex dp), but the weak spot is that you can get grabbed off it, and you have to hold forward, which means the guy can do an ambiguous crossup, harder to block because you are on the forward position on the stick.
- The Stock gauge to use EX moves, supers, level 2 supers, guard cancel roll and attack

The main difference with KOF13 will be that :
- The drive gauge is called Overdrive (BIG CHANGE)
- The drive gauge is used to make a drive cancel, but after using one drive cancel, that gauge turns off until the end of the combo, it keeps charging but you can't put another cancel.
- When the gauge is full, you can activate your overdrive mode. Instead of KOF which has Hyperdrive, allowing to do repeated drive cancels, giving this gauge a damage purpose only, overdrive is character dependant. You usually can cancel a normal move into the mode activation, but after that, either your overdrive gives access to something to combo (some characters can by using it cleverly), or it's over. Every transformation is powerful, and I'm trying to create a meta where you might prefer to keep your overdrive to transform when your character activates.

Let's now talk about the characters and throw some of the videos.

KARTAJ
Sprite animations :
ocaeKRe.gif
9Corapl.gif
(The first animation is doubled in size, it's the size used for the pre fight intros. And it has too much frames. Second one is actual gameplay sprite)

Kartaj's main powers are water.
Kartaj died once in the game prequel, he met a demon in the underworld which made a pact with him. That pact allowed him to instantly revive from his death, and he gained the double edged ability to use the demon's energy in exchange for giving a small part of his soul to the demon each time he would do that.
But the soul never regenerates. The more he uses the demon's powers, the more he vanishes from the living world, and the more the demon itself reincarnates in his body. Upon using the whole soul, the user eventually disappears and the demon reincarnates in his body.

Kartaj has 2 forms :
- In normal forms, he doesn't have EX moves, but instead demon-empowered versions of his special moves (quicker, more hits, invincible, some teleports on some hits, juggle etc). Those super special moves consume the lifebar on startup, as a Focus (it's consuming, but if you don't get hit it comes back very slowly). Visually, those move replace every water he's using by blood and make some nasty fishbones appear and break on impact.
- If he does qcb,qcb+K and for 1 stock, he can switch into a demon-fueled form of himself. In this form, his basic special moves are the demon empowered ones, and he can now use EX demon moves for one stock, which are even more cheated. In exchange, he has a 30% more damage taken penalty so he is in paper.

Kartaj's Overdrive mode :
BUBBLE SHIELD - Kartaj's overdrive activates a shield around him. The overdrive bar goes down very slowly, but :
- If he takes damage, he doesn't lose life but instead the overdrive bar lowers.
- He can burst in "non ranbu moves", by pressing C+D in the middle of a combo. That will end the overdrive, make the bubble burst, and do some damage to the opponent, depending how much the bar is filled when bursting. Bursting when there's one pixel left in the bar does almost no damage but still it's a burst so it's useful.
- When he's in normal form, and uses a demon move, the life is removed from the overdrive bar. He can make his own shield explode and do one more juggle hit by doing the right combo and finishing the shield with a demon move.

Kartaj's soundtrack changes when you swap from normal to demon. Both tracks have the same bassline and drumline so it can crossfade without going to back to the beginning.

Normal track
https://soundcloud.com/xavier-le-ba...n=xavier-le-baron-1/sets/pride-musics/s-lQuZN

Demon track
https://soundcloud.com/xavier-le-ba...n=xavier-le-baron-1/sets/pride-musics/s-lQuZN

RED
Sprite animations :
hxSdrlk.gif

I'll tell more about Red soon !

Ingame footage :
So ... At the moment, I'm working on more normal moves and the hitstun/juggle states. I have to make the animations before coding too much (I prefer to make everything at once, instead of doing too much anim/code which I find unbalanced. I can do animations quickly so I like to have it done)

This shows the demon transformation FX. It lacks some anims on the Kartaj sprite.

(more videos if you scroll down)

I'll use that topic as a devblog, since I want to open the game website when there will be a demo.

Plan :
To create a demo with one stage, (the one in the videos), 2 characters, and the online mode.
With that, I'll open the game website, do a lot of com then create a Kickstarter campaign.

Last edited:

New vid from a couple days. Added jumps, rolls, dash and ability to crouch.
It's still bullshit graphically, I'll change the impact animation on hit. The stage is not finished either

Next steps (UPDATED) :
- Add Kartaj's Counterattack super move
- Add Kartaj's Maximal move
- Start coding the menus and game modes (training/versus)
- Start making Red

Then we will see after this is done !

Last edited:
Plan :
To create a demo with one stage, (the one in the videos), 2 characters, and the online mode.
With that, I'll open the game website, do a lot of com then create a Kickstarter campaign.
So once all mechanics are in place and the stage and 2 characters are done we'll get a free demo thing?

I'm really excited about this~
The logo is really nice and the music is amazing.
Though I found the animation kinda stiff, with hair and cloth and stuff that seemed too bouncy and contrasted with stuff. It's alright, though.
Also, though I've never played any of those old motion capture games like MK I'm getting an overwhelming feeling of similarity animation wise.
I would play this for that soundtrack and hitspark alone. I would play this forever if it gets GGPO.

Wow the designs actually look kinda interesting???
and I love how the models look for a 1-man team doing them. (Acually, I prefer them over the current SF ones that look so muddy to me.)

Hello ! Thanks a lot for those warming words.
Yes exactly. Once the 2 first characters will be made and after a bit of "private" testing (which I hope will remove most of the bug) I'll release a demo with a basic netplay (list of rooms,room create/join, ping, game start).
This will be used to communicate on the game, raise funds, and also I will put a poll for players to choose which character is made immediately next, between 4 candidates.

The guy working on the netcode is working apart from the game engine, because it's an input sending system, so no need to wait from me to finish the game, he can just add it whenever he's done :D
The netcode will be GGPO-like (rollbacks when there are packet losses, it's custom made for the game) and will have a tiny amount of offline lag on every command (I'm thinking about 3F, but maybe it will be too sloppy with this, let's see). This lag will be used to hide the online lag which will replace the offline lag.

I agree for the stiff animations. I'm trying to make it more cartoon by handdrawing effects, and I think the stiffest anims will be remade. But now it's the rush, programming, doing renders, programming etc.

Some sketches for future characters people will choose the 3rd developed one from - These are really first versions, some things are missing, especially their stances and stuff (it's just because it's cool to drop the programming and model future characters) :

Frank, the Rockstar
7WtyPha.gif
(probably the most finished model of the 3)
He's a muay thai user.
His power are soundwaves, he can amplify his hits by throwing sound inside the opponents' body. Expect big impact sounds.
Has a guitar rekka with variations.
His Overdrive mode is called "Solo", he does x2 guard crush on every normals and has more possibilities to connect the guitar rekka into itself.
The OD bar drops a bit quicker when he does a normal on guard or uses the rekka into itself.

L5uFY69.png

Sosa, the Godfather and minister of Defense
(He lacks an antimatter sword and a cigar)
He's using military karate, and his sword which was offered to him in his youth.
His powers are teleportations. And he also uses the sword, which is made in a special material able to shapeshift a bit.
Has more of zoning hits, with lots of range but is less combo oriented than the others, except in Overdrive mode.
His Overdrive mode is making his dash disappear on the first frames instead of running, a la SF5 Dictator, and he can dash cancel every normal/special move he does so that means cool combos. The OD bar drops a lot when doing a dash cancel, like you probably can do only 3 or 4 max.

1oMi5r5.gif

Meline the hot-blooded snake woman
(Will probably remake everything visually on this one)
She's Frank's girlfriend, and the singer in the rock band which you can see in the stage stage (lol) background.
She has the power to materialize living creatures, but it's too hard to completely master that so she only knows how to create snakes. They are more like "in energy snakes" except when she's in Overdrive mode, at this moment she really creates living independant snakes (like Orochimaru in Naruto).
She's using the Snake art Kung-fu. She has 2 stances : Bite (which is more about fast, close hits with lots of cancel and frame advantage on guard / fast and movement special moves) and Constrict (which is more about moves with more range but cannot cancel, and have lot of frame advantage on hit only / throws and long range special moves). Changing stance changes the punch normal/command moves and the specials.
Her Overdrive is the Snake queen mode (her sprite changes), she gets a big snake around her chest, and 2 medium snakes going like a helix around her arms. Gains a lot more range on her punches (think like Dhalsim, the snakes go straight in the punch trajectory and then come back), also the punch special moves are upgraded in each stance, and she does more stun on everything that hits.
The OD bar goes a bit down on each normal move and upgraded special move she throws, so that means the bar will probably almost not decrease over time.

The last one is Masao, a cyborg from the army which was a thunder/electricity user, but got abandoned on the battlefield (by Sosa) and greatly outnumbered by the enemy. He was then left almost dead, with only his electricity powers artificially maintaining him alive. He got saved and rebuilt by Pr. Tezla, fueling his cyborg body with his own electricity powers. More on Masao when I finish modeling him, let's not talk about things that don't exist yet :D

ALSO .... More soundtrack since someone likes it :D

The Character Select Theme

Red's Theme

Title screen, intro and menu soon :D
In the versus screen, a player which loses 2 times in a row will be able to choose the fight's music by holding start after picking his character. Why 2 ? Because the challenger always has his character's music playing first, then he can choose not to be bored by his music again.

Last edited:
yeah i have to agree the models here look very interesting. They could totally fit into the KoF games.

The sound track also is really good so far. ( I would like a track for Kartaj with both the normal and demon tracks mixed together )

Just one thing. Kartaj's jab animation it seems a little stiff. That him doing the gut punch has his arm at an odd angle. When doing a gut punch your elbow tends to be pointed downward, here the elbow is still pointing outward so it looks more like Kartaj is punching the side of the stomach. Also when punching at a lower angle your body will bend downwards as well to keep the momentum of your weight behind your fist, more weight behind the fist = better impact. Don't get me wrong punching in the side of stomach still hurts, but visually it doesn't look quite as impactful. Motion blurring or adding in stretch frames will also give a move more power/ speed.

Idk, I'm more used to the more stretchy cartoony animations like SF3, SkullGirls, Guilty Gear. If you can make it work without all that then great. Like idle animations are good.

but yeah no everything is a-okay. keep it up.

Reactions: Shaman
I'm trying to reproduce this GG/SF3 cartoon aspect (actually, I can edit the motion capture skeletons to make it more exagerated and stuff) but at the moment, it's really stiff I agree. But I'm trying to make good animations without the cartoon stretch stuff. I think there's still room for a lot of improvement and I probably have to edit more the animations, if you guys feel it's rigid too.
Same for the punch, even my friend who records the move was not satisfied by this because it's too different from his recording haha

Also, ingame Kartaj's track will be a mix of both. Because when you'll start the match, he will be normal, when you'll use the transform it will swap, and you're likely to get K.Oed while in demon form, at that moment the music goes back to normal. But still, it's not going back to the beginning when swapping so you can jump from one solo to another.

Completely off-topic : there is buffer on normals, rolls and run in the game. I think that will hide the offline input delay thing by making everything easier.

Another track :

Game Introduction

Edit : Also a big post is waiting for moderation with 3 of the 4 future characters (just an overview)

Last edited:
This is very interesting so far. The soundtrack is really great.
While a lot of animations lack any impact/look very unsatisfying, the models look really good for only a small team to be working on. It's nice to see you have some early gameplay/programming done, too. Usually these projects only show some ideas and early concept art.

The stuff you have in that big post is nice (sorry I can't approve it as I don't have permissions here, I'll get someone else to). Sosa definitely has my favorite design, just because he isn't too over the top.
I'm glad you're also planning to use a GGPO-like system.

erm... the soundcloud links are broken.

and yeah i really really like Frank. he looks badass.

Last edited:
oh and before I go off into the void I'll leave with this link just incase you haven't watched it. It's Mariel Cartwright going over making animation powerful under a limited number of frames. Something that I think you and any other indie fighter maker would find useful.

Last edited:
I read your first post, Shaman. The effort that you put thus far in general is great. I especially liked that you are recording fighting moves for the game. The music I listened sounds pretty cool (Kartaj's theme and his demon variation was my favorite currently). Can't wait to hear more stuff from this.

Thanks !
Yeah Ninja I saw that video yesterday and thought like "it's my lucky day" haha
I didn't watch it yet. I'm doing the crouch C animation at the moment, that will be a good place to apply her advice !

This looks like a surprisingly thick game, art-wise. It looks really nice, but I have to say, the characters still look a bit too glossy, it almost makes the 3D renders look a bit stiff or low quality to me. Looking at hte up close ones you posted, they are from it, but I'd suggest maybe getting a bit more cartoony shading or thicker, more colorful outlines to make them pop a bit more.

Overall this is quite nice and I look forward to reading more into it :D

mHYJnow.jpg

Small teasing ! Haha
Development got slowed because of SF5 (this game is so rigid, but it's beautiful and I can play on my wifi)
I programmed the down C down C target combo, also you can cancel light normals into this down C and it works.
I'm starting to add the first special move which is this shoulder tackle with surfing on ground. hold back > forward A is a shoulder tackle, back > forward C is a dash straight punch like Balrog in SF. EX will be a demonic "teleport" shoulder that consumes Kartaj's health on cast.

XS9REdP.gif

The dash

I'll add the hitstun and juggle system with this.
It's kind of fun how the game looks when in fullscreen on a non-16/9 screen. The HUD portraits are appearing in the black borders.
A new video when the hitstun/juggle/combo works and we can do a simple stand A, A xx down C, C xx shoulder

Also the 2 last alpha tracks :

Title theme
https://soundcloud.com/xavier-le-baron-1/pride-title-theme/s-8R6zq

Menu theme
https://soundcloud.com/xavier-le-baron-1/pride-menu-theme/s-pv73Y

Cheers everyone

Last edited:
That splash effect is really nice. It actually reminds me of Terry's Buster Wolf blast splash, which obviously hits me hard in the nostalgia :P

Hello guys ! A new video showing the shoulder tackle. I also implemented the hurt animations (3 anims : hit from above/very low, hit from front, hit from low/uppercut style moves
I still have to add a lot, and next step is to add hurt voices, and the juggle system. Then a jumpin move.
Also I must remake that awful run anim lol. It was motion captured but I'll do one manually.
Also you can see the basic "frame advantage display" in action. It's still not fully functional yet.
It's +3 on the last active frame ! Haha
Cheers !

I love how it has a sort of stiffness to the animation like its clay animation but it totally isn't
it kinda reminds of going to arcades and primal rage in a bit
also what he say? "back it up raw"?

Oh that reminded me, since SG went through a huge visual update too from the prototype to the beta YEARS ago (same as TFH), will this project look the same in the future or is this the kinda visuals/theme you want to keep in the beta? :o

This looks fricking sweet. The models remind me a little bit of Clay Fighter, if thats a good thing.

Hello guys and thanks :D
I'm trying to keep this graphics style : 3D models as 2D sprites, with 2D effects on it, like it's flat, and an 80s/martial art film feeling (that will come with time)
The clay aspect will probably stay too.
Graphics will probably improve over time but it will keep that style. Mainly the stage is really unfinished, in the beta it will have a lot more life/be more beautiful on round 1, and it's totally broken apart by demons on round 2, everything is off and the only source of light is the moon. You'll see :D
Also he says "bakayaro"

Hello guys ! Long time no see.
I added a bunch of things since the last video. Here is a new footage. Including knockdown/wakeup (only one type for the moment), an air attack, another impact animation, more early "gameplay" and it's kind of cleaner. I'm testing the EX moves effect at the end of the video, it's still a first attempt, it'll probably have some particle effects on top of it.

Cheers

Hello guys !
I'm still working a lot on the game.
Added features :
Battle Intro mainly
Lifebars and Guardbars
Knockdown drift (special cancelable)
High/Low guard difference
Glow shader on some stuff
A rudimentary KO, it only plays a sound and slows the game for the moment
A lot of performance optimisation. The whole LED Screen stuff take a whole less cpu now.

Also, the netcode is advancing. It's not visible in the video because it's in a separate executable but you can create and join rooms, login with your account, and get connected with someone. For the moment you just can move circles, but I was kind of moved to test that with my friend Brown.

I hope you enjoy that

Cheers

Reactions: Fumako and Gamrdogg
Hello everyone :D
The project keeps advancing !
Here is a long video showing the gameplay with the available elements and moves.
Character still lacks his air normals (except jump C), his CDs, sweep, back throw, and a rekka dive special move in air. Also no supers for the moment (he has 5 super moves which I'll do next)

- Backdash "drift" part is special cancelable.
- You have the same "drift" as a recovery animation if you press back before touching the ground when soft knocked down. Charging is instant in drift state (charge for one frame for reversal charges). Some special moves also allow you to instacharge during their animations (for example the launcher special lets you instacharge, and shoulder lets you instacharge shoulder EX for the cancel)

- You can see the overdrive in action.
When activated, you are in armor state for about 1 second (when flashing blue) then you have the bubble shield.
- The overdrive bar = 500 HP. Getting hit lowers your OD bar instead of HP.
- Using EX moves uses 150 HP. When you have your shield, it consumes it on OD instead.
- (Not programmed yet) you can burst in combos to instantly finish the OD but it explodes, damages the enemy and frees you from the combo. Damage depends how much OD you had left when you burst.
- You can also detonate shield by using EX moves while your OD bar doesn't have enough for 1 EX. It does the least damage possible but still it's a launching hitbox so it lenghtens combos when well used.

Last edited:
oh man this is looking real good. Now I kinda want to see what I can do combo wise. Also he's a charge character nice nice nice.

okay but for real when you toss this out either as a full game or just like a demo of it I will seriously look into playing it. I'm not a huge KoF player but this definitely turning me around

4e6H5Mz.png

ReyAf26.png

Hello guys ! I'm here with a DEMO !
It is still very unpolished (there are no menus) and bugged. You can only play as Kartaj, but his Overdrive is done.
The system is almost finished, you have rolls, CDs, counterhit combos, drive and super cancels, Overdrive activation cancels on ground and air, guard crush and other joyful tools.

The link is here : PRIDE ALPHA 0001

Here are notes for testers :

INSTALLATION

Put the "Pride_test" folder content into your /Documents and Settings/User/AppData/Locale/pride_02_09 folder.

Use XPadder to setup your gamepad or stick as the game currently doesn't recognize it natively.
If you are testing alone, try adding the back and down directions for player 2 on your gamepad, so you can

test with the dummy blocking.

BUGS/ISSUES

- It is very rough at the moment, there are no menus, only character select and fight. It is also very

bugged/unfinished.
- Only Kartaj works. Red makes the game crash. Pick your character and color with the A button.
- Don't press anything when it loads because it can make the game crash.
- You can skip the zoomed character intros if you press Enter, but do it after Kartaj says "I hope you have

good bones" because before this line it will crash too lol.
- Counterhits are unfinished, you will experiment some counters when there shouldn't be and vice versa.

HOW TO PLAY

Keys P1:
Arrows = Directions
A = A (LP)
Z = B (LK)
E = C (HP)
R = D (HK)

Keys P2:
F,T,G,H = Directions
U = A (LP)
I = B (LK)
O = C (HP)
P = D (HK)

Random debug keys
Numpad 1 = Changes the music to Normal Kartaj Theme
Numpad 2 = Changes the music to Demon Kartaj Theme
Numpad 3 = Gives full drive bar to player 1, refills both player's life, and changes the music to Red Theme
Numpad 5 = Enables/Disables Always counter

GAME MECHANICS

- Press C or D when close to grab your oppponent.

- Press AB to roll. You can roll further by running then rolling (you can input it quickly by doing

forward,forward + AB)

- Press CD to perform a blowback attack. It is a strong but slow attack, which you can juggle after on

counter.

- Press back before hitting the ground when getting knocked down to perform a saving drift. The drift is

special/super cancelable in the middle of its animation. During the drift, your charge moves charge very

quickly. Doing a backdash also puts you into drift state which can be special/super canceled.

- Press AB or CD while blocking an attack to perform a Guard Cancel Roll or Blowback. It costs 1 power

gauge. Guard Cancel Roll is a quick Escape move which lets you punish a lot of attack sequences. Guard

Cancel Blowback give you back the current "purple guard" amount and performs a slow attack to get your

opponent away.

- Press BC to activate your Overdrive. You will need full green bar to do it. It does several things which

depend on the character you're currently using. You can cancel your normal moves into activation if you make

contact with the opponent, and some moves let you cancel into activation even if they whiff.

- You can Drive-cancel special moves into other special moves on contact or whiff and super moves if you

have one half green bar. Try it at different moments of your animations to find when to cancel. Please note

that invincible special moves can only be canceled if you hurt the opponent, not on whiff or block.

KARTAJ COMMAND LIST

Passive ability : Demon Pact
--------------------

EX Special Moves cost you 150HP instead of 1 Power gauge.

OVERDRIVE : Bubble Shield
-------------------------

When activating, you are armoring on your whole body (you are invincible except for throws) for 1 second.

Use this to go through your opponent's offense then retaliate !

When activated, you gain a 500HP shield and cannot lose your HP when hit. You will still get hit as usual,

but you will lose Overdrive Bar instead. This also applies to using EX moves : they will consume the shield

instead of your HP.

If you lose HP and finish the Overdrive bar, the Bubble Shield will briefly blink then explode, which can

hit your enemy. You can use the explosion to make your EX special moves safe, or even to continue comboing

after a juggle (juggle -> explosion -> juggle)

Note that you can also activate your Overdrive in Air (it still gives you the 1 second of armor), either as

empty jumping into activation, or hitting an air normal then canceling into activation. You can air attack

again after activating in air (try doing 2 air normals into a ground combo).

Command Attacks
---------------
Crouch C - Straight (you can cancel your lights and heavy punch into this)
-> Crouch C during Straight - Sweep Punch (is not hitting low for the moment but will)

Forward B - Knee Basher
This move is whiff cancelable into OVERDRIVE ACTIVATION (also stand CD is whiff cancelable into OVERDRIVE

ACTIVATION). This move lets your charge moves charge very quickly.

Special Moves
-------------

Hcb A or C - Dash into command throw. It combos from lights. You can drive cancel on second hit of throw
Hcb AC (EX) - Close range quite quick command throw. It might be invincible or not (it is supposed to, but

is bugged at the moment, also it doesnt use HP when used alone)

Charge back 1s, forward + A - Shoulder Tackle. This move never gets scaled down in combos.
Charge back 1s, forward + C - Dash Straight.
-> C during Dash Straight - Dash Upper. You can only juggle with supers, Crouch D and CD after this.
Charge back 1s, forward + AC (EX) - Demon Shoulder. Invincible and very quick. A bug makes it unblockable on

point blank for the moment.

Qcb + B - Small launcher uppercut. Drive cancelable.
Qcb + D - High launcher uppercut. Not Drive cancelable
Qcb + BD (EX) - High damage uppercut. Not Drive cancelable. You can juggle in the corner.

Charge down 1s, up + A - Flash Punch. It's a good anti air. A bit invincible before hitting. You can drive

cancel on the ground or in air with the dive rekka if you hit your opponent.
Charge down 1s, up + C - Stronger Flash punch. Slower than A but invincible for a good portion of the move.
Charge down 1s, up + AC (EX) - Ex Flash punch, come out quickly and invincible.

Qcf + A in air - Air Rekka Dive
-> Qcf + A during Air Rekka Dive - Second Hit
-> Qcf + A during Second Hit - Dropkick Sama

Qcf + AC (EX) in air - EX Dropkick Sama. You can use EX Dropkick as a followup of 1st or 2nd Hit. Due to a

bug it doesn't consume HP for the moment.

Super Moves
-----------

Qcf,qcf + A or C - Shark Bomba

Qcf,qcf + AC - Blood Pressure. Faster than Shark Bomba

Random animations from the game :

L5lUj2p.gif

Counterhit FX

519fji8.gif

Guard crush FX

Last edited:
Reactions: mayhemking
Hmm the FPS seems to tank of my machine- is it my set up? is there anything you can suggest for me to do shaman?

Hello ! I can't really advice, except that you could try to go to actual fight gameplay which seems to drain less cpu than character select. But it's on my end actually, I have to recode some things so they eat less. What are your specs ? And how much is it slowing down ? Is it dropping when FX appear or is it always in a slowmotion thing ?
Cheers

I actually can't get to the fights, After Kartaj does his intro it's a white screens- and on the note of my specs-

Processor:AMD A4-5000 APU/Radeon HD 1.50 GHz
RAM:6.00 GB-x64-based Processor
Running on a windows 8.1

I think it should work.
The first loading can take a lot of time (it's creating assets if it doesn't find them). That happens when it's not in the AppData folder. I think you could try to wait during this moment and the game will show after. :D
I will do something a bit easier to handle for next demo. Thanks for the feedback !

Random animations from the game :

L5lUj2p.gif

Counterhit FX

519fji8.gif

Guard crush FX

The effects look really dope and flashy!

I am starting Red (second character) !

His PASSIVE : being able to Just Defend, which means he will be able to block in air too if Just Defending.

His OVERDRIVE : adds fire hitboxes around every normal moves. Also changes his look because blue fire is cool.

Normal look :
imcDYoE.gif

His Overdrive uses another set of sprites and other flame FX. Players will be able to pick him with this skin by pressing START when choosing the color. (Those sprites are normally used with the black and blue palette).
Might do a teal/purple version in case of mirror matches.

2eTupOk.gif

ALSO :
The game has a facebook page I forgot to post here :

http://fb.me/battle.with.pride

Cheers !

You definitely should make a Teal//purple versions for a mirror match. You do not want the MVC3 problem of two of the same character going X factor and it becoming a shit show.

hmmmm just defend you say...

plus Ken Tasu into a Beam Super.

interesting... very interesting.
hmmmm.png

Hello guys !
The game is back and now you can pre order it - Actually it's an Early Access for 7.50$.
By preordering you gain access to the prototype which will be periodically updated (every 2 weeks minimum)

You'll also get the soundtrack, with 2 exclusive tracks which were made by the progressive metal band Shokran :
- Hagra (undead version)
- Hagra (resurrected version)

Which are the tracks of the next and 3rd actual character.

Also, I downscaled the game by half, now it is more of a pixel art fighter. (Previous assets had to be resized but working on 640x320p is planned for the next assets).
The result : the game takes a lot less memory and CPU.
You should easily achieve a 60+ fps if you play some modern games.

A little Red combo (with no cancel, just using the normal and command moves)

gCAcL%2F.gif

PRE ORDER NOW !!!
\\\///
https://shamanovitch.itch.io/pride