• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

PS3 PS3 purchase questions

Spencer

Painwheel
Reaction score
Steam
qspec
Painwheel Squigly
I think I can pick up a 12gb PS3 for about 150. I'm really thinking about it as I would like to join the FG community, and I am fairly limited on PC (Skullgirls, SSFIV:AE, and Melty Blood mostly).

Some questions:

First, is here a better deal than the above that anyone knows of? I've barely looked as this is a fairly fresh idea.

Second, is 12gb plenty for Blazblue, Skullgirls, Ultra SSFIV, and GG? Can I upgrade the 12gb if necessary? I will mostly PC game still, so a huge HDD is not necessary.

Will the PS3 be supported (at least long enough for a reasonable price drop on the PS4) ie is Sony decent about long term support?

How is the SG community on PSN? It is pretty small on the PC (Steamcharts shows a high of maybe 70 people per day).

Anyone know of a way I can cheaply take my xBox fightstick and convert it to a PS3 fightstick? A brawlstick isn't all that expensive, so it isn't crucial, but I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible.

Anything else would be appreciated.

I imagine most people on PC are just playing on the Endless Beta for Big Band & Fukua.

As for the 12GB PS3, yes it is upgradable with any 2.5 inch laptop hard drive. That PS3's 12GB memory is from built-in flash with the hard drive port empty.

12gb is enough if all the games you're playing don't have to install, which I believe Street Fighter does not, and SKullgirls and GG are downloadable but not huge so it won't be a problem.

Thanks for responding. If I can upgrade it, I've no problem picking it up (upgrading is likely to be cheaper anyway).

How do they hold up? Would you buy refurbished for cheap?

PS3 hard drives are easy to upgrade. I did so about 8 months ago. The hardware swap takes like 5 minutes, if that. The only lengthy thing is having to re-install the PS3 system software, which took a an hour or two and required a flash drive.