• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Question: Animation without hitbox/hurtbox [Solved]

ribaluigi

Reaction score
I've noticed that with Eliza, if you neutral jump and press HK just before landing the jumping high kick animation is shown but there is no hitbox nor hurtbox on it. It is pretty easy to test on training mode at slow speed. Practicing against Filia you should press HK while descending when the position circle is slightly above Filia's eyes.

I'm not sure if this is a bug nor if there are other occurrences of this behavior.

moves have a certain number of startup frames (how long they take to become active/hit something), and a point at which they'll touch the ground and "land". If the two overlap, you'll see the start up of the attack but the character will land without attacking. If it wasn't like this, you'd have things like doing a j.hk with eliza on the last possible frame, and instead of landing you'd phase through the floor and then after the hitbox comes out (under the ground, mind you) you'd reappear on the ground standing.

It's just the way fighting games work. You can also, for example, do an attack with a lot of start up like eliza's s.hp, but cancel it with a special before the attack actually comes out even though you see it starting.

Mike Z, the developer, actually talked at a tournament about many inner workings of fighting games like this. In it he covers many things, one of which is when a character "lands". If you want to check it out, here's the Link.

Reactions: ribaluigi
moves have a certain number of startup frames (how long they take to become active/hit something), and a point at which they'll touch the ground and "land". If the two overlap, you'll see the start up of the attack but the character will land without attacking. If it wasn't like this, you'd have things like doing a j.hk with eliza on the last possible frame, and instead of landing you'd phase through the floor and then after the hitbox comes out (under the ground, mind you) you'd reappear on the ground standing.

It's just the way fighting games work. You can also, for example, do an attack with a lot of start up like eliza's s.hp, but cancel it with a special before the attack actually comes out even though you see it starting.

Mike Z, the developer, actually talked at a tournament about many inner workings of fighting games like this. In it he covers many things, one of which is when a character "lands". If you want to check it out, here's the Link.
Thank so much for the info!

If possible I would rather close the thread.

Nah it's alright we can leave it up for anyone else with a similar question.
The thread will die as long as nobody replies to it.

We try not to close threads for no reason just because someone asks.

Reactions: ribaluigi
I don't think the OP is talking about startup.

As a specific answer to THIS question:

Animations, especially in 2D, have what are called "smear frames", which are frames during which the move is drawn as extending-to-the-full-length, but has not yet reached the active hit part.
Eliza's j.HK has the ram's head nearly fully drawn during the smear frames, but those are not yet the active frames.
So it is possible to land after the smear, but before the active hit, and the move can look like it was "supposed" to have hit.
That is not a bug.

(Though it does indeed have a vulnerable box, so the OP question is phrased incorrectly. :^)

eliza j.HK.png

As another example, here's 3s Makoto's F+Fierce:
colorswap.php

You can see her fist jiggle after it is fully extended - there are 2 smear frames before the active frame, one on the way out and one that's an overextension.
The move is not actually able to hit until after her hand jiggles.

ye, smear frames are great.
fenrirdrive28_filia_1p.png

I didn't realize op was talking about smears, tho. Oops.

Hello @Mike_Z , what's OP?. Anyhow, thanks for your for your comments. In the meanwhile I succeeded in recording what I wanted to describe, i.e. almost the same picture as yours showing Eliza's hitboxes overlaying Filia. Here it is:

test.png

Hello @Mike_Z , what's OP?. Anyhow, thanks for your for your comments. In the meanwhile I succeeded in recording what I wanted to describe,
In other words, I answered your question? :^)

[QUOTE="ribaluigi, post: 353089, member: 11495" i.e. almost the same picture as yours showing Eliza's hitboxes overlaying Filia. Here it is:[/QUOTE]
Those are not attack boxes, though.