• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Question of the Week: What do you do with Undizzy?

keninblack

NJ/VA
Reaction score
Steam
keninblack3s
PSN
keninblack
Peacock Robo Fortune Double
Hey I'ma do a weekly question thing here where I ask a question about Skullgirls and you answer it. SWELL.

Every Sunday new question pow.

No right or wrong answer really, but I love you.

Okay so lets get started, undizzy is that versace flavored green bar below the health bars ya feel? What do you do with it? Now what I mean by this is, whenever I watch matches, people tend to go 2 different routes...

1. Let the bar fill up, have the opponent shine green, create a burst bait, and have the bar go back to empty. That way giving you a whole new empty bar of undizzy to work with.

Or.

2. Constantly reset them with situations that don't completely get rid of the undizzy bar, but lowers it to give you more undizzy. Thus when done right, the opponent will never shine green if you keep hitting them with correct resets.

Which one do you prefer? Or do you have another option you like to do that is not listed?

I tend to go for the 2nd option, Parasoul with Cruel Lily and Hornet Bomber assists gives you plenty of time to go for a reset and lower the undizzy bar. Keep putting them in blockstun and keep resetting and sooner or later that is a dead character, but if I notice that the bar is too high I go for a candid burst bait setup and see what happens.

I let it fill up more often than not. I have some basic 1 or 2 reset ToD's, but I feel like I should just take the damage while I have it, most of the time.

Letting it fill is the best option, I think. There are ways to clear the bar, ways that can be followed by mixups. The way I see it is, if you clear the bar after a big combo and then get the mixup into a big combo, its better than getting the mixup on a small combo into a small combo.

I never even payed attention to the undizzy bar. Just reset the shit out of them like I've done since Vanilla lol. Who needs optimal combos?

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
I reset at the end after the bar fills up. That way they have to guess if I am going to burst bait/throw/something else and can't just mindlessly mash supers. Also against players who won't take the bait, you can keep hitting them past the undizzy point before resetting. So for example, Squigly uses c.HP burst bait, and your opponent don't press anything, you can sneak in the silver chord at the end and throw reset.

Neither. I do a full combo, then reset.

Ratio 2 PW does hobillions damage before she hits stage 5 on a corner reset.

Edit: I suppose that's not entirely true. PW can two-touch 2v3 midscreen for one meter with a tight reset. So my combos are fairly short midscreen, and horrendously long if I'm halfway to the corner.

The problem is that PW's corner carry builds about 190 Undizzy just for the carry portion on it's own. Whether or not I reset, I'm almost certainly going to be riding undizzy if I land the subsequent hit. However, we'll be in cornersville at that point, so it all works out.

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedEcho
Well usually I go with option 2 right from the start, but sometimes I just go for the damage (usually only with Bella) and at that point the bar does fill up. Fortunately Bella is in the middle (and usually the first to die after switching Filia out for the regen) so I have plenty of opportunities afterwards to get in on the opponent even if they don't fall for a bait.

i go for resets as they generally give me the positioning i want more (corner). once i have that position, i mix it up with some baits generally, but i like when they end in a knockdown so i can go for some easy oki if the bait isn't taken.

doesn't have too much to do with damage since as ken already stated its pretty easy to force them in a position where the bar will go down naturally.

Long combo into 2 short resets into dhc dead or corner carry.

The only time I don't do this is when I use something to corner carry on the first combo... Like ending max stun painwheel combos in buers that knock the opponent full screen.

Reason being that the corner can be a full game advantage. Whereas a reset is only a slight health bar advantage.

But it depends on my assists. Still though, corner carry into ender, call lockdown assist as they wake... Is a good overall strat and mitigates the diminishing returns from undizzy since corner is the gift that keeps on giving.

I usually reset, reset, reset, so option 2, but not always early in a combo, sometimes I will max undizzy.

So option 2 I guess.

I'm interested to see how combo theory evolves in SG, I'm thinking that oki WILL become a stronger option, perhaps some characters will opt for an advantageous knockdown instead of a reset. Of course, oki becoming more prominent would make resets all the more difficult to defend.

You can purposefully not tech knockdowns to keep your undizzy, so I don't see knockdown oki getting too much more popular. Slide knockdown also doesn't get rid of it.

You can purposefully not tech knockdowns to keep your undizzy, so I don't see knockdown oki getting too much more popular. Slide knockdown also doesn't get rid of it.
If someone doesn't tech then the attacker is allowed to setup any Oki pressure and wakeup mixup they want. Which if they hit can lead into a short reset followed by another knockdown.

For example, with bella I have a simple setup that ends in knockdown that gets 7k meterless without a counterhit. If they roll and eat the mixup, I get 7k, and since I'm solo they're dead. If they dont roll, I get an easy as balls setup that if it hits can go into a 4-5k meterless combo that ends in a knockdown. And since I'm solo, everything that's not a solo as well is dead, if they are solo as well then I just did 11-12k. I mean, i wont get the mixup everytime, but its a 50/50 so I think me getting this one reset is about as likely as the first reset in the short burst combos which require a couple resets for this damage.

Depends on which character I'm using. I have several burst baits with Squigly, so I tend to trigger Undizzy and just punish the burst. With Parasoul, I'm more reset heavy. I figure since my combo damage is so much higher with Squigly, it's more worthwhile to get all the damage I can. I'm only getting that kind of damage with Parasoul if I get a counterhit fierce as the combo starter, so I need to reset more.

I let it fill and get hit by the burst to go back to neutral because I know my neutral game is better than theirs.

That would imply I could get a hit

I let it fill and get hit by the burst to go back to neutral because I know my neutral game is better than theirs.

You whippersnappers and your 'neutral game'.

Back in my day we called it footsies and we liked it. I had to walk 15 miles through the snow, up hill both ways, to get to the arcade. And we were happy for it, dagnabbit.

I'll typically do a short reset for extra damage either near the start or near the end of a full combo. With just a little undizzy left I'll have enough space to do 3 chains which is pretty decent damage.

With PS
  • End combo with sweep, call assist to auto-correct their tech. If no tech set up tears.
  • Reset often
  • end midscreen with st.hk to set up keepaway
With PW
  • Reset early
  • End full midscreen combos with lp nail > sweep for untechable kd, then either punish burst or fly + assist ambiguous stuff
  • Armor the burst and wait for mash

Considering all my "combos" are like 3-7 hits I never trigger it.

I could live my whole life not knowing what undizzy is.

It depends on what character I'm playing with.

Parasoul
Burst Baits
Resets
Sometimes I forget about it :P

Squigly
Burst Bait the opponent and then use Silver Chord( I just picked her up so that's all I have)

Fortune
I don't have to worry about undizzy with her to much because I end most of her combos with Cat Scratch Fever and Feral Edge.

If my opponent has more than 75% health I reset, if not, I can kill with one fortune combo.

If I'm fighting a solo I just do whatever because they're bad.

Option 2. Bella does enough damage in low hit combos that you don't necessarily need to finish combos to inflict good damage and stay in a good position.

That's the mixup.

I tend to lean towards option 1 if I know they like reversal supers though.

I'm with Krackatoa on this one, but I need to step up my combo game. However, I do like to lolreset when I feel like it regardless of undizzy. I love triggering undizzy on a sweep though, that way I either get a guaranteed hard knockdown for left/right mixup on wakeup with assist or a counterhit burstbait combo

I have a few burst baits with fortune that I never use because I am bad. And for Val I usually go to really basic and shitty resets because I still haven't learned anything.

I am really bad at this game.

• end my combo early for what looks like no reason and try to throw out a disjointed hitbox
  • finish the chain and try to armor through the burst
  • generally pretend like i knew what i was doing when i triggered it

Reactions: WarpedEcho
Try to reset constantly because it gets the job done quicker. People fall for undizzy burst baits less from what I've seen so I have little reason to try them much anymore.

The most unreactable burst bait mixups that are still dangerous even after you've seen them a few times are with airthrows, and the risk/reward gamble for a max undizzy airthrow combo (terrible for most characters, and builds much less than half a bar) and a ~9k damage burst bait combo makes it very strange. Plus some teams can do a burst alpha counter into something safe.

Varies depending on match-up, player, resources available, etc. Basically, both.