• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Random Tidbits about Cerebella

Ok, tried out the PBGC vs Double's sLP, sMP, sHP, Car from opposite side. I usually pushblocked near the end of sMP which let me get out right before the car actually appears. So assuming I was facing to the right while blocking double, I could PBGC into devil horns to the right if I did it the first frame out of the pushblock animation. After that, I needed to do it towards the car coming from the left, or frame where the attack is coming from. If this doesn't make sense to anyone except one person, please one person, translate for me.

As for the attack duration question, the forward direction is considered which way the character is facing for the duration of the move, even if the opponent goes to the other side during it. A good way to show this is to do cLK, cMK, Run Stop, sHK then qcf+LP&LK. The opponent show be on the opposite side while the animation for sHK goes but can be canceled into diamond drop at any time with a quarter roll motion towards the direction the sHK is going. Again, if someone else wants to translate, be my guest.

when combo-ing in the corner, the j.mp j.hk restand is easier to put out if you do a neutral jump (hitboxes and stuff).
against another bella, if you make a forward jump, the restand becomes really hard, and the j.hk will often not combo if performed with a timing not strict enough.

knowing that, if you're bella, and you're getting combo'd in the corner by another bella, just mash 360. if your opponent don't know that fact, he might miss the restand, and will fall right in your 360.

another weird hitbox stuff, more problematic :
you can't combo painwheel after MGR midscreen if you don't dash (which timing is too strict for me)

when combo-ing in the corner, the j.mp j.hk restand is easier to put out if you do a neutral jump (hitboxes and stuff).
against another bella, if you make a forward jump, the restand becomes really hard, and the j.hk will often not combo if performed with a timing not strict enough.
I found this out recently and it may be the case for other characters as well. So in general, jMP + jHK in corner = Neutral jump

I'm still annoyed by the fact that when you MGR Painwheel, you can't do the dash c.lk/c.lp ~c.mk link. I mean I found another combo to do just for her that does a few hundred less damage but still it's kind of irksome that when I grab the character that barely is even grounded I can't get optimal combos off.

The cool thing about j.mp j.hk failing to combo is that it's a safe frame trap, only 360 beats it, anything else will just end up in your guard...ok maybe fenrir drive will hit it too...MAYBE (but all 4 frames start up supers are doomed)

I'm still annoyed by the fact that when you MGR Painwheel, you can't do the dash c.lk/c.lp ~c.mk link. I mean I found another combo to do just for her
Wait what? Even if you dash, you can't do the c.lk c.mk? What midscreem combo do you go for then?

Last edited:
Wait what? Even if you dash, you can't do the c.lk c.mk? What midscreem combo do you go for then?
MGR dash c.mk c.hp j.lp ~ j.hp s.lp c.mp s.hp konchou c.mk j.mp j.hk c.lk c.mp s.hp copter DDynamo. Does a little over 7K

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
MGR dash c.mk c.hp j.lp ~ j.hp s.lp c.mp s.hp konchou c.mk j.mp j.hk c.lk c.mp s.hp copter DDynamo. Does a little over 7K
With how strict the dash timing is, linking mgr with c.mk sounds a bit crazy to me :/
Nice combo though

Another dumb thing with painwheel : after pummel horse midscreen, if you don't go forward a bit, c.mp has 50% chance to whiff...why? Cause painwheel

since the encore update, i had trouble to do the c.mp s.hp kanchou combo on cerebella, even though i had no problem at all doing this before.
kanchou never connected properly.
finally found out the right way to do it :
you have to delay the s.hp after the c.mp, and then kanchou asap, an it will work...
no idea about the "why" or "how", every other character causes no problem at all and doesn't need this timing trick. just 'cause bella -_ô
if that's not a random tidbit, i don't know what it is

charge with mk+hk and you get kanchou on the first frame possible

Oh that reminds me of an interesting one. Wasn't charge lp+lk supposed to give the fastest run stop? For some reason, according to the attack data, after I hit the foe and go into a run stop, doing it manually can often be one frame faster. IIrc I can hit with s.hp and shortcut run stop and be +11 but if I do it manually I get +12.

I use lk+mk and I think I get +12. I can link cr.mk off of st.hp xx run stop if I use lk+mk and that's 12 frame startup, right?

Yeah, there's a lot of weird stuff with run commands
Doing lp lk manually does indeed cancel it "faster" than doing it with macro.
Also, doing run commands after some other moves can make dumb things happen :
For example, try to go for pummel horse after a kanchou (to combo double without otg). Even if the input list says you did hk before lp lk, you will still get batttle butt instead, or just simply...run.

If you hit hk+lp+lk at the same time, though you get Pummel Horse as fast as possible.

that's what i do, and i get battle butt (don't ask, the answer is just "cause bella")

so gimmicky that I don't think it's worth putting in the combo thread :
against double in the corner, you can c.hp j.mk j.hp j.lp, the j.lp will hit before double lands, so no usage of otg, possibility to combo of it and can be a good reset set up too
that being said, if anyone finds it useful, good for him

EDIT: never mind, burst bait time! (check the reset thread)

Last edited:
Not sure if this was already mentioned or is super common knowledge, but it definitely helps me:
If you want to do an instant run followup, you can hold the equivalent Punch button, or hold throw, before doing the run.
It was DESIGNED to help by only allowing inputs during hitstop, but heh.

So like, to always get s.HP->Pummel Horse you can do s.HP, hold throw, then when the HP hits do run with another button.

Not sure if this was already mentioned or is super common knowledge, but it definitely helps me:
If you want to do an instant run followup, you can hold the equivalent Punch button, or hold throw, before doing the run.

So like, to always get s.HP->Pummel Horse you can do s.HP, hold throw, then when the HP hits do run with another button.

Helped a lot!

That'll probably keep me from ever accidentally getting Diamond Drop again when going for Pummel Horse. That'll be such a good feeling.

Reactions: Icky

That's really good doing cancelling st.hp -> Run Stop as early as possible too, keeping you even on block.

with all the random things it contains, I guess that's the place where this should be :

Last edited:
I did a..."thing"
This is probably the only thread where this deserves to be posted
aka how to use something absolutely useless, that noone cares about for good reasons, and make out of it a usefull completely gimmicky tech that looks awesome :D

Reactions: Age
Eliza DP rekkas are deflectable projectiles...keep going, MikeZ, keep giving projectiles to everybody, only makes the game more fun for me :D

Reactions: DDB and fastturtle
@Mike_Z
I just noticed something a bit weird about some bella moves when you start a combo with them.
So when you start a combo with a grab/air grab/command grab, following chain is stage 2, just like if it was starting chain. That's the same thing for every char, so nothing wrong there.
Then I noticed when you start a combo with pummel horse, following chain is also stage 2. So I just thought "okay, hitgrabs are considered like grabs in the IPS/undizzy system".
But then I checked excellebella, which is clearly a hitgrab too, and following chain (without cancelling excellebella with dynamo) is...stage 3, with undizzy building and IPS watching moves...
What is the logic behind that?

@Mike_Z
I just noticed something a bit weird about some bella moves when you start a combo with them.
So when you start a combo with a grab/air grab/command grab, following chain is stage 2, just like if it was starting chain. That's the same thing for every char, so nothing wrong there.
Then I noticed when you start a combo with pummel horse, following chain is also stage 2. So I just thought "okay, hitgrabs are considered like grabs in the IPS/undizzy system".
But then I checked excellebella, which is clearly a hitgrab too, and following chain (without cancelling excellebella with dynamo) is...stage 3, with undizzy building and IPS watching moves...
What is the logic behind that?
That's probably what causes this:

There was a thread somewhere but I'm too lazy to look for it right now...

looks like the last excellebella hit is a physical one, not a part of the grab animation...I remember it can hit fortune's head and stuff like that, I guess that's the reason.

looks like the last excellebella hit is a physical one, not a part of the grab animation...I remember it can hit fortune's head and stuff like that, I guess that's the reason.
That was my exact guess in the thread XD

for those who wanted to see how deflector behaves after a successful projectile deflect :
792C302A769A607B4BB27062EEB1CC22C45E017A

DB8D006EDB4A641AEBD793BE2D319FA4563DD4B9
17f of hit invulnerability (so now we know why hitgrab projectiles like silver chord beats it), recover immediately after the end of the invinc. Recover time doesn't depend on the moment of the animation you deflect. recover is fully super cancelable.

Last edited:
that piece of information is the quintessence of this thread :
when you do multiple deflects in one combo, it will always stagger the opponent if he is grounded, but if he is airborne, it will stagger him only if it is the first time he gets staggered...
you can't even imagine what I'm doing in training mode to find out that kind of stuff...

Last edited:
Fun thing with MGR (wasn't sure it should go in the resets thread):
MGR -> c.LK -> c.MP -> s.HK -right before second hit> MGR
It's a cool little gimmick and I guess you could swap the later MGR with a Pummel Horse to make a mixup, but I've not tried that so I dunno.
oh my goodness that is the greatest thing ever, before that, i couldn't do anything but Diamond Dynamo after MGR, maybe titan punch if i didn't have meter. thanks you so much for showing this to me

doing c.lk c.mk instead of c.lp c.mk gives the c.mk way less chance to whiff.
c.lk being a low, the hitstun animation from your opponent will make them lean forward more than the hitstun animation from c.lp or s.lp, which will help c.mk to connect.

All of the same state hitstuns have the same hitbox to avoid inconsistencies like that iirc

Reactions: dragonos451
Oh, you're right.
c.lk still makes connecting c.mk more likely, the actual reason is that it has way less knockback than c.lp.