• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report Salty Updates 9 May 2014

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Reaction score
Steam
Apple Jack
PSN
xervort13
Valentine Double Cerebella
It's been a while, hasn't it? Well, this time I return with some big news on a character everyone's been waiting for!

No, it's not Annie.

Before that, remember to sign up for the side tournament of Skullgirls at Evo! We're hoping to have a great turnout this year, but we can only achieve this if people show up, so get to registering!

Anyhow, onto the updates!

[prbreak]Read more...[/prbreak]

• General Changes
    • Glass Canopy has a new stage theme
    • No update on the arcade build yet
    • All console builds have been submitted (European and American builds are in testing)
  • Fukua
    • Icon shows up once you are over her position on the character select screen.
    • All palettes are included.
    • 'Rain' palette fireballs changed to be water.
    • Additional animations on Forever A-Clone (thanks to Skullmageddon) to better tell which attack will be sent out.
    • Super Fireball does 80 less chip.
  • Valentine
    • Red crosses are no more (purple crosses now)
  • Parasoul
    • Palettes 4 and 11 have been altered to not include red crosses

• And now, for the first time, Eliza!
    • New Eliza stage, with theme (going into Beta once Fukua becomes retail)
    • colored: standing, backdash, crouching, stand-turn, standing block, air block/pushblock
    • moves that currently connect: lp, c.lp, lk, c.lk, mp, and c.mp
Here's the accompanying video, which shows the updates in greater detail:

my ears have not been happier

Gotta say, I find the red cross thing ridiculous. I'd understand if it's some intricate logo or something, but it's just a red cross. Aside from that, the game isn't charity or claims to be one or claims to be linked to the red cross in any way. Logo on a character is in no way competing with a charity. Therefore any legal action would be absolutly bogus. Especially considering items with red crosses are made constantly and appear in enough films and buildings aswel.

Here are some countries facing legal action: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_flags_depicting_a_cross

Pocolla has posted the Eliza segment with slow motion so all can appreciate her glorious goriness frame by frame: Starts at 7:05

I fell like I'm the only person that enjoys the new glass canopy stage music lol

I fell like I'm the only person that enjoys the new glass canopy stage music lol

I like it! Though I think it takes a long time to get to the good part, which is surprising.

I love the Glass Canopy theme. It's got a bit of a military march vibe to it. It's Parasoul's theme! :3

Reactions: Osmiumsmith
Eliza's theme is a Michiru Yamane's work?

Eliza's theme is a Michiru Yamane's work?
all the themes for stages, except maybe Glass Canopy are by Michiru Yamane

I can barely contain my excitement for Eliza. Her animations look fantastic and I love how all of her attacks fit her theme. I can already tell she will be a lot of fun to play.

all the themes for stages, except maybe Glass Canopy are by Michiru Yamane

Why say "except maybe Glass Canopy"? Why would that stage be any different??

Last edited:
Why say "except maybe Glass Canopy"? Why would that stage be any different??
And real music for Glass Canopy, by Vince.

Thanks for the clarification! I hope he manages to compose more in the future, Glass Canopy's new music is pretty amazing.

Bath of Tefnut is Yamane, Glass Canopy is Vince.
Bath of TuffNutt

I'm a curmudgeon who doesn't like change, and would like to know if the previous audio for Glass Canopy will still be available to listen to in the future.

I like Vince's stuff (Whiling the Hours Away is great), but heck the Instrumental of Just A Moment's Time fit pretty darn well.

It's been a while, hasn't it? Well, this time I return with some big news on a character everyone's been waiting for!

No, it's not Annie.

2d10e527d7025b6ff35be42eaea32416.jpg

Did Fukua changes get demoed?

Just pointing out that it was stated since the beginning that In Just A Moment's Time was used on the stage as a placeholder. Getting attached to it in the first place was just setting yourself up to be disappointed by whatever they would have replaced it with.

I'm a curmudgeon who doesn't like change, and would like to know if the previous audio for Glass Canopy will still be available to listen to in the future.
Well, it's the credits? But I'm sure we can add it to the art gallery song viewer thing, in fact isn't it already there?

I like Vince's stuff (Whiling the Hours Away is great), but heck the Instrumental of Just A Moment's Time fit pretty darn well.
It wasn't instrumental, it was just the same song.

I really dislike Glass Canopy now and am still incredibly saddened by the change. It went from my favorite stage to practice and play on to least favorite stage in general incredibly quick.
Ye gods. I mean if you really want to on PC you can edit the level and just make it play Moment's Time instead...

Well, it's the credits? But I'm sure we can add it to the art gallery song viewer thing, in fact isn't it already there?

It wasn't instrumental, it was just the same song.

Ye gods. I mean if you really want to on PC you can edit the level and just make it play Moment's Time instead...

Hmm... Could I, theoretically, also change a particular color palette of Valentine's to resemble a color at the end of the spectrum next to orange and opposite of violet?

They could have replaced In A Moment's Time with the best song ever and at least one person would have complained, I'm sure.

At any rate, I've been listening to it for awhile and I love it; it's another unique track with its own style, and I'm a sucker for waltzes.

Hmm... Could I, theoretically, also change a particular color palette of Valentine's to resemble a color at the end of the spectrum next to orange and opposite of violet?

IIRC, there isn't a palette editor (or an easy way to edit palettes) because Lab Zero doesn't want you doing that.

I was thinking more along the lines of extracting the current one and replacing the new one with it when it comes around. Not sure if it would be as easy as that, which was why I was asking.

Eliza's theme has been stuck in my head since I first saw the video.

Reactions: Osmiumsmith
Noticed something interesting:

Pause at the hit animation where she spills her guts and eyeballs (11:39 on the original video, 12:32 at Pocolla's video).

You will see a jackal and a bird head like her servants.

Since Valentine and Parasoul have their red crosses changed in this build could we possibly see a future update where Filia's Scanty palette is redone so her kneesocks are colored in to look like her red skin?
scantyfilia.jpg

Reactions: FilliaFeind
Since Valentine and Parasoul have their red crosses changed in this build could we possibly see a future update where Filia's Scanty palette is redone so her kneesocks are colored in to look like her red skin?

They're changing it for legal reasons, they're not gonna change any other palettes.

Coloring her stockings the same as her skin would look kinda awkward, anyway. The black line between the material and the exposed skin cannot be removed, same for the small bulges around said line. It would look like she has random strings tied on her thighs for whatever reason, or like she's a toy with detachable limbs. Skullgirls palettes do their best to look like the characters they're referring too, but small sacrifices and changing some details here and there are worth not looking off.

DAT ELIZA tho. Her normals remind me of Pocket Fighter Tessa/Tabasa (specially that crouching kick with the cat).

And her theme... INFECTIOUS. Can't wait for more of her...

Really want to listen to those new themes some more. ;_;

Guess I'll just have to listen to Under the Bridge theme at full volume until they are out.

Reactions: FilliaFeind
Coloring her stockings the same as her skin would look kinda awkward, anyway. The black line between the material and the exposed skin cannot be removed, same for the small bulges around said line. It would look like she has random strings tied on her thighs for whatever reason, or like she's a toy with detachable limbs. Skullgirls palettes do their best to look like the characters they're referring too, but small sacrifices and changing some details here and there are worth not looking off.

I think it looks allright on Fukua's Alpha-152 palette and as long as it wouldn't waste them to much time to check if the palette looks better with skin colored legs I don't see the harm in asking.

And I know they changed the crosses for legal reason but they also changed Fukua's Fireball color in the Rain palette to be true to that character.

Just pointing out that it was stated since the beginning that In Just A Moment's Time was used on the stage as a placeholder. Getting attached to it in the first place was just setting yourself up to be disappointed by whatever they would have replaced it with.

As a person who just recently purchased and started playing the game, I enjoyed the old theme for glass canopy more. It would be cool if the song could be used in another stage at the very least.

Pretty sure Lab Zero doesn't want to look cheap by reusing musical assets in stages. In a Moment's Time is a good piece of work, yes, but it was meant to be the credits theme.

- Red legs for Scanty has been vetoed by the people who have aesthetic taste.
- I just put in a code for the old music on PC, if you fear change that much then whenever the Fukua build goes up you can change it back. The toggle even saves so you only have to do it once. (Like I said, we listen to our whiny fanbase. FWIW I greatly prefer the new music, and the complaints to the contrary will forever prevent us from releasing a stage with placeholder music again. :^)
- You can extract and change levels and music on PC because I explicitly let you - I don't check those package files for consistency because it's fine to allow people to edit those things since they don't affect gameplay. It does check everything having to do with the characters, so even though in theory you could extract those files and edit them to make a certain cross red again (if someone eventually figured out the format), the game would not run if anything were changed. This is true even between two builds of the game - an EXE from the newest build won't run with the data from the previous build because the data is "different", even if it's just the timestamp.

If PS3 is getting updated tonight, will we maybe see PC update tonight as well.
also I assume Microsoft is being Microsoft and you guys haven't heard back yet?

Just curious, does anyone know the name of the second song that plays during the credits; the one that loops?