• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

sharpies are for writing, not for training.

yooo

• ayy lmao

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • free af

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • who bitch this is

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • blood for the blood queen

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters

dapurplesharpie

palette 7 eliza player
Reaction score
Steam
dapurplesharpie
Eliza
Um. A training diary or whatever.

People keep telling me to make one and since I don't stream as often as I used to, I guess I can use this to keep track of what I'm working on and stuff.

What even is a training diary?

cLK cMK cHP ->

jMP jHP -> air dash -> jLK jMP jHP

cLK cMK sHP (1 or 2 hits) xx Light Osiris Spiral -> sLP (1 hit) cMK sHP xx Heavy Osiris Spiral

(combo acts weird on double and robo, but you can substitute the first jMP with jLP and it works)

This combo isn't the best but at LEAST its a basic combo. Don't get distracted by doing variations, trying for resets, or "doing your own thing" because that can come after you have a solid combo down. Please learn/practice/do it until its second nature in matches and you'll get 100x better ;______;

Also Less Eliza air super pls ;_;

@fenster what would you do off an air to air j.MK j.HP confirm, I noticed Sharpie getting a lot of those on the stream the other night but then she wouldn't get a combo off it.

@fenster I noticed Sharpie getting a lot of those on the stream the other night but then she wouldn't get a combo off it.

I didn't usually see the confirm until a few seconds later, resulting in really sad supers.
My connection wasn't the best.

Well normally you jMK jHP isn't a great confirm cause of the way those hits work. If you're using jMK, most Eliza's use it after an air dash cause its easier to confirm with a cLK if you're in range. If you aren't in range to actually confirm off the air dash, you can just IAD again and go for jLK->jHP (catches low) or IAD air throw (catches upback).

You can also usually confirm off of jMK by going into light air sekhmet -> air sekhmet axe into whatever else. That works very nicely near the corner so its usually best to do it then.

In general though, I still stand by what I told sharpie in stream, which is to just use more jLK-jHP especially at close range.

If you hit with jMK and are not sure if you can confirm, just don't, especially don't air super. Just air dash in again.

Looking around recently, I saw Eliza's doing IAD j.mk, light sekhmet as a poke, and s.mp, bird man as an AA, and not doing medium pokes out of blockstrings. And no supers during neutral. And less predictable IAD j.mk. And actual BNBs. Those seem like things to focus on.

Reactions: drewski
have you tried eliza combo that goes from dive of horus into c.hk > upper khat?
i'd start there?????

oh a stationary thread i love stationary!

I purchase this really cool mechanical pencil recently:

11123736_1605503699665776_1815617444_n.jpg

I also got red and blue lead for it to use at work.

Not that big into sharpies personally, they bleed through everything I love. Like paper.

But you play eliza so bleeding is kinda your thing perfect choice 10/10.

So, I finally got a decent reset combo down:

c.LK - c.MK - c.HP - Horus (qcf.MK) - IAD - j.MP - j.MK -
c.LK - c.MK - s.HP (x2) - DP MP (x2) - jump grab (j.LPLK)

ty to Longshot for the combo info

Having issue with j.MP after IAD and the jump grab when I do drop, but i think that's mostly a timing issue.

The issue, as @Night Phyre has brought up so goddamn often, is that Horus scales all damage after it.
Not a huge issue for Solo Eliza, I guess, but this combo is the furthest thing from optimized.

I've spent the past few days practicing it for a few hours in different matches against @droopyturtle , @Some Person , @Midiman , and @Kstacks , and when it connects it really does work. A huge change from my earlier attempts at combos.

Really excited that I can finally get the DP command down now, since I've never been able to do it before.
*horrible flashbacks to that one time with Veritas while learning MF* -shudder- THAT WAS A DARK TIME.

My strongest side is my left side right now, so I need to still practice from the right. Like...a lot. A LOT a lot.
(I swear I'm practicing, @Datagram . I won't be a one-side scrub.)

I'll focus on this for awhile and then learn some new approaches, I guess.

Right now, my approach is either j.LK into j.MK or j.MK into j.HP. There is so much jumping.
I'm getting better at cancelling and DPs, so I'm thinking learning a few c.HK cancels would be the next step in regards to approaches.

I know c.HK range has been changed somewhat drastically since current retail so I'm really not super ecstatic about it. Hell, I already hate the fact I have to revisit her combos because of damage changes, but blah blah blah get good and stuff.

I can currently cancel c.HK into both qcb.LK and qcb.HK, so I'm pretty familiar with the timing of it; it'll just take some practice to get used to it.

Only took me a solid week of practicing in Beta to get back into the groove of Eliza.

Pretty excited for the next week or so.
I'll be streaming pretty consistently, so just tune in to see my progress and shit, random people that follow this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kai and Cadenza
I won't be a one-side scrub.
Being a one-sider doesn't mean you're bad...on the contrary!

Old Man FGC Info Moment #37: Other Notable "One-Siders"!
JR Rodriguez (can't DP facing to the right. 506 double perfects and counting, Evo top 8, etc...but notice how hard he tries to get back on the right side...)

Kai (can't super facing right, but he hides it less well and always tries to be P2.)

Look, I responded to your thread.

Right you wanted some sort of conversion of mine, and I cannot remember which one it was so let's just go over some junk I have

default bnb (it's bad don't use it): 2LK 2MK 2HP jump *j.MP-HP adc j.LK-MK-HP land 2LP~LP 2MK 2HP xx 236MK, 5LK 5MK 5HP~HP~HP xx 214HK Slaughter: * sub j.MP for j.MK for heavyweights.

corner starter: 2LK 2MK 2HP j.HK adc j.HK 214MP~MP xx 214P > do whatever
from far throne: far 623HP, j.MK xx 214HP > do whatever
from close throne: j.MK-HP adc j.LK-HP land > do whatever

corner mixup dumb stuff: 2LK 5MP 5HK~HK xx 214LK link [5LK or 5LP] > do whatever
corner mixup dumb stuff2: 2LK 5MP xx 236MK, j.HK late adc j.HP-HK xx 214MP-MP xx 214P, 5LK > do whatever

whatever conversion I do is probably a toss-up from any of those things, depending on what stage im at or whichever assist ive got. I cant remember what conversion was the one you wanted but its probably some variant of those.

Reactions: dapurplesharpie
Competed in USS yesterday, despite the fact that I had work in the morning (because let's be real: I don't fucking sleep anymore)

Anyway, I did pretty horribly. The closest match I had was probably against @WhiteFury (2-3) and honestly, I only won those because he didn't really use meter. My block strings weren't very on point at all.

In the match against @FakeangeL , I didn't feel like he was really trying for the first sets and although it was his win (3-2), it didn't seem like well deserved wins for me at all. Almost like he let me win? I dunno. I'm probably just overthinking it. To be honest, I'm just happy I didn't have to play @matlokholmes or @fenster . I REALLY would have liked to get a set in with @Midiman , but you know, people in Hell want ice water amirite?

In the streamed match against DTG, I couldn't pull off the reset combo I've spent the past few weeks working on, but I managed to do the corner combo Midi taught me three times. I kinda of ran into the old autopilot problem of j.MK into j.HP. Haven't gotten throne cancel down yet, and I need to stop calling Throne Rush when Horus will help instead. (qcb LK versus qcb MK). Just a few things I noticed last night.

Also, mental note to DM @Devita for some new Eliza tech.

Things to work on this week: more throne canceling stuff, Midi's corner combo outside of training mode, my reset combo on ALL different weighted characters.

I really need to get in the habit of posting in here more often than not, since I tend to forget it the minute I don't. On the topic of approaches, I have been neglecting them because I'd like to work on my combos before I work on approaching. 85% of my games, people usually approach me first, so if I get a confirm, I should kill them off it especially with the best girl.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewski
I played you yesterday? I thought I just dicked around in training mode and did some quick matches.... never signed up for USS...

I played you yesterday? I thought I just dicked around in training mode and did some quick matches.... never signed up for USS...

I may be thinking of someone else. :o

OH WOW. IT WAS @FakeangeL. OOPS. SORRY.

gonna try this again.

starting it up with midi's corner combo off throne confirm.
corner starter: 2LK 2MK 2HP j.HK adc j.HK 214MP~MP xx 214P > do whatever

Last edited:
update with gllt's burst into corner knockdown and secondary burst bait with couch punish

sLK cMK2 sHP2 LSpiral sLP1 cMK2 sHP2 Horus sMK1 (Whiff) otg sMK2 (IPS/Undizzy, safe) sHK1 (again, safe) way delayed sHK2 (really silly punish, you can just not do the second hit for a kinda real burst bait and then punish but you lose pressure as it pushes them away, if they don't burst the first hit, the second hit of sHK will never connect and you're in a bad position)
- gllt 2015​

Last edited:
I went over the Corner Combo there, here's some alternatives I whipped up; I really should suggest you get something different since mine is the most basic and unrefined I could come up with

Tested w/ 3v3, Eliza v. Fortune

2LK 2MK 2HP j.HK adc j.HK xx 214MP~HP xx Recall, 2LP 2MK 2HP(1) xx 214LK, 2LK 2MK 2HP Horus; 6874 x1.3 (~5287 x1.0)Damage, 280 Drama
  • Pretty.. Pretty damn easy? I just threw together an ender there, but you can probably eek more damage out with an assist if you preferred, maybe tag on some Sehkmet normals if you have the meter; you could easily replace 2LK 2MK 2HP Horus with 2LK 5MP 5HK~HK Chair to get a tech chase?
2LK 2MK 2HP j.HK adc Throw, 2LK 2MK 2HP, j.MP-HP adc j.LK-MP-HP (land) 2LP 2MK 2HP(1) xx 214LK; 5968 x1.3 (4590 x1.0) Damage, 275 Drama
  • Damage can vary depending on num of hits. This really feels like the best option out of the things I listed; I don't use this, but since you can replace Osiris Spiral with Dive of Horus, you get great mixup potential-- even so much as doing Dive Of Horus, ADC j.LP, delayed j.HP is valuable.
  • adc Throw is useful, I'm willing to wager there is a way to conserve otg w/ it, depending on starter. j.MK perhaps?
2LK 2MK 2HP j.HK adc j.HP-HK (land) 2MK 2HP, j.MK-HP adc j.LK-MK-HP -- that's it; 6192 x1.3 Damage, 255 Drama?
  • You can tag on an instant air Nehkbet Breaker if you make them land with you; otherwise, You're plus, but there's not much ado about it? My standard combo but not very good because of immediate undizzy burst if you don't Nehkbet
I don't like this corner combo too much because it doesn't feel too much like something the opponent has to "respect" or be scared of. EDIT: Don't let that stop you from using it, btw. If you can land it, use it! I just wonder if I can't eek out more frightening damage w/ her in this situation

MikeZ uploaded some corner stuff that you might find useful

reviving this thread for NEC practice.

Played versus @mcpeanuts yesterday in Quick Match. He went easy on me, but I dropped gamewinning combo.

Still need to work on consistency with my BnB. As per McNuts, Lady of Slaughter is not a fucking opening move even if it works.

Scheduled a FT10 tonight with SeValentine to get back in the groove of things. McNuts agreed to analyze after I finish recording it.

I made a nice no-meter bnb launching combo based off of my earlier bnb. Doesn't use horus, so dmg isn't scaled. Very nice, imo.

Still need to work with @gllt and @Midiman for burst baits and overall improvement. Reminder to contact them on Mumble/Discord after work today.

McNuts agreed to analyze after I finish recording it

put it on youtube and post it here so other people can look at it too imo, unless you have a reason you only want particular people to see it

put it on youtube and post it here so other people can look at it too imo

will do.

I didn't have any reason for only asking McPeanuts, I just know he does a really good analysis of battles for IWBTS and other people so I thought I'd ask him.

I'll upload it and link it in here for everyone.

Reactions: gllt
analysis later

this is the shit i've been working on for the past month or so.

Code:
c.LK c.MK c.HP xx qcf.MK
OTG c.HK xx h.DP
j.MP j.HP ADC
j.LK j.MP j.HP
c.MK s.HP (x2) xx qcb.LK
s.LP (x3) s.MK s.HP (x2) xx qcb.HK xx qcf. PP

few things i found out while practicing:

1. utilizing s.HK (x2) instead of c.HP for the first part of the combo ends up doing same amount of dmg (goddammit diablos was right) and its harder to get confirm off with c.HK later.
2. painwheel/squigly fall out for some reason after qcb.LK in corner. to fix consistence with this, i've just started cutting out qcb.LK part of combo and ending the ground string with:
Code:
c.MK -- qcb.HK -- qcf.PP
combo does approx. 2k less, but still allows me to place them back into corner with possibility of reset.
3. i have to wait for horus OTG before using c.HK -- h.DP. i'm only pointing this out because zid spent like an hour explaining why i needed to wait for otg and then showed me how to use training mode effectively. thanks @Zidiane, i guess.​

i'm working on a few variations of this combo and post-combo resets from lady of slaughter finisher. my most favorite post-combo move is probably just the thing i saw sev do at NWM, which was a grab into corner combo variant. working with @gllt to figure out something optimized.

other cool stuff, i guess:
i've apparently improved a lot since last year. it only really showed when zid was making a xenoencore video and i saw a part of it, but didn't recognize myself as the solo eliza player because i thought the player was too good. lmao. i guess i'm not as shit as i used to be?
still not really happy with where i am, but i'll keep trying to dedicate some time working on improving. its harder now with having to kpb organizing stuff on top of everything. plus, i still haven't been able to make my new eightysixed SFV show yet OR bring back IWBTS. uuuuugggggghhhh
i'll get it done eventually.

edit:
forgot to post link to tweet with BL's side of bet

Last edited:
Reactions: Zidiane
Sharpie just as a heads up the normal notation for combos is to have each new chain on a new line, because it makes it easy to tell what's being tracked for IPS. ADC and IAD are also different things. Your combo would look like this:

c.LK c.MK c.HP xx qcf.MK
OTG c.HK xx h.DP
j.MP j.HP ADC
j.LK j.MP j.HP
c.MK s.HP (x2) xx qcb.LK
s.LP (x3) s.MK s.HP (x2) xx qcb.HK xx qcf. PP

Sharpie just as a heads up the normal notation for combos is to have each new chain on a new line, because it makes it easy to tell what's being tracked for IPS.

updated. ty.

also, i'm assuming ADC is air dash cancel and IAD is instant air dash.
the difference is that ADC is when you cancel a move early and IAD is just doing it without canceling a move?

updated. ty.

also, i'm assuming ADC is air dash cancel and IAD is instant air dash.
the difference is that ADC is when you cancel a move early and IAD is just doing it without canceling a move?
That's basically correct. An air dash cancel is doing some other move then using an air dash to cancel the recovery (or the startup or active frames if you have something particularly fancy, but usually the recovery). An instant air dash is a raw air dash done as low to the ground as possible (usually to set up a fast overhead). The easiest way to tell the difference is that with an ADC you're doing some other move before the air dash, and with an IAD you're not.

Oh yeah. Also, if you want, at the end of your combo instead of doing Lady of Slaughter you can finish with air super. So, like, your last chain would be

s.lp, s.lp, s.lp, s.mk, s.hp, s.hp, dpx3, jump air super

It gives you a hard knockdown. I don't remember what the damage difference is.

Oh yeah. Also, if you want, at the end of your combo instead of doing Lady of Slaughter you can finish with air super. So, like, your last chain would be

s.lp, s.lp, s.lp, s.mk, s.hp, s.hp, dpx3, jump air super

It gives you a hard knockdown. I don't remember what the damage difference is.

A few hundred IIRC. It also leads to better DHCs on teams a lot of the time, not that that is relevant here, but worth mentioning.
Try to regulate your height so that you can get the air super. If they're too high, it will whiff. And that sucks!

$50 MM with BrokenLoose was streamed at Combo Breaker 2016 on Saturday Night Salt.
I was so sure I was gonna lose. Posting footage now for analysis later.

Special thanks to @Kai and @BGCallisto for letting me play on stream this year.

Game 1 - 25:50 (Sharpie 0-1)
Game 2 - 27:16 (Sharpie 1-1)
Game 3 - 29:16 (Sharpie 2-1)
Game 4 - 31:28 (Sharpie 3-1)
Game 5 - 33:54 (Sharpie 4-1)
Game 6 - 35:49 (Sharpie 5-1)

Last edited:
So that's why he was so bent out of shape. That's how you know you made it.

You've improved quite a bit sharpie, and I'm glad for ya!! I'd like to give you live analysis one sooner or later so if we can make that happen pray tell; I like giving out visual advice more than anything! Otherwise I will try to remember to give you analysis before the week's up

So you want to learn Fortune?

Midi, the money wasn't the issue. Broken Loose is now butterFREE. Seriously, that was one of the conditions of the match.

Tbh, the reason I did the moneymatch was exclusively because people didn't think I was decent at this game and can't hold my own.
I'm not a top player, but I've improved a lot since I started and people forget that. This money match was just meant to show them.

Tbh, the reason I did the moneymatch was exclusively because people didn't think I was decent at this game and can't hold my own.
I'm not a top player, but I've improved a lot since I started and people forget that. This money match was just meant to show them.
I'm not going to say who it was, but there people talking crap about you the day I got to the hotel. They referred that you were only on my level skill (hint: I'm not that good) . I'm sure they were shocked when you did so well during the money match. I remember watching the match and thinking "what the hell were they talking about?"

Reactions: Sunset Radiance
She was literally like "I'm gonna do my best!" then people were like "you ain't shit" then she was like "u wot m8? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals" and then she won a money match and a side bet on stream.

I'm not going to say who it was, but there people talking crap about you the day I got to the hotel

I already know who it was and I'm not surprised.
Some people just don't know and its cool.

When they grow some balls, they can MM me too.

Midi, the money wasn't the issue. Broken Loose is now butterFREE. Seriously, that was one of the conditions of the match.

Also, it was gonna be brokenLOSE or brokenFREE, but I thought people would think he just misspelled his name.