• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Single-Player VS Mode (or CPU Dummies)

What do you think about computer-controlled opponents?

• We need a Versus mode with CPUs, Rematch, New Match, and enemy team randomization!

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • We really just need an endless Arcade mode so we can keep fighting CPUs without stopping at Marie.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • We need CPU control (with difficulty selection) available in Training mode!

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • We don't need CPU control in Training mode.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Maybe some other way to fight CPU opponents would be nice, but a new game mode is excessive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is silly. Why are you wasting time on CPUs when the path to mastery requires human opponents?

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Um, actually, this is already possible. You just couldn't figure out where to do it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

featherrose

Reaction score
Steam
featherrose
Ms. Fortune
Hey all,

I might be missing something, but there doesn't seem to be a way to battle a single random computer character/team at a given difficulty without going into Arcade mode.

There clearly is an AI, since Story and Arcade both have plenty of computer-controlled opponents, and a mechanism for generating random characters/teams, since that's the whole point of Arcade, but you can't use either in Training.

My fantasy setup would be a single-player Versus mode--or set of options in Training--something like this:
1. You can specify whether the computer player controls a set (single, double, or triple) team, partially randomized team, or fully randomized team.
a. Set CPU teams allow you to either specify each CPU character (as in Training) or make all CPU characters automatically randomly-generated.
b. Partially randomized CPU teams allow you to specify one or two CPU characters, but the CPU team size is randomly selected.
i. If you specify one CPU character, the CPU team size is randomly set between 1 and 3; if the team size is 2 or 3, the remaining CPU character(s) is/are randomly selected.
ii. If you specify two CPU characters, the CPU team size is randomly set between 2 and 3; if the team size is 3, the remaining CPU character is randomly selected.​
c. Fully randomized CPU teams do not allow you to specify anything. CPU team size and every CPU character is randomly selected.​
2. At the end of a match, you are given the choice to Rematch, Select Character, [New Opponent], Change Options, or Exit Game, as in Multiplayer (rather than, as in Arcade Mode, progressing automatically to a new match).
a. Rematch keeps the CPU characters exactly the same.
b. Select Character has its usual effect, with the following differences, depending on the CPU team setup:
i. Set CPU teams allow you to edit the CPU selection, but you are not forced to; when you finish editing your team, the cursor moves to the 2P side, but it starts out on the selection for the existing CPU character(s), rather than starting out on Random.
ii. In the same way, partially randomized CPU teams allow you to edit the CPU character(s) you specified in option 1.b., but, likewise in the same way, you are not forced to.
iii. Fully randomized CPU teams do not allow you to edit the CPU character(s) after you have edited your team.​
c. [New Match] (or New Opponent, or whatever it may be called), a new option, has the following effect:
i. Set CPU teams cause it to enter the usual character selection screen, but 1P's team is fixed where it was; the cursor only controls 2P's side.
ii. Partially randomized CPU teams do not enter character selection on [New Match]. Instead, the CPU's team size and characters are re-randomized, just as they were initially--keeping the player-specified character(s) unchanged--and a new match is started against the new CPU team.
iii. With fully randomized CPU teams, [New Match] begins a new match against a freshly- and fully-randomized CPU team.​

As a pretty casual gamer who wants to (eventually) face the hardest the game has to offer, but who isn't particularly concerned about becoming competitive in comparison to other players, it disappoints me that Arcade mode has no way to stop in-between matches (other than pausing and quitting), choose your CPU opponent(s), or continue indefinitely without having to start over. I'm also surprised that Training mode doesn't have a computer control option; it's great for what it was designed for, mind, but this means there's no way to do a one-off against a specific CPU opponent. (The game is utterly fantastic overall, and I could praise it all day, but that's off-topic here...)

I'm sure the above is unrealistic, but some way to fight a specific CPU opponent or team would be great. (If anybody knows that this is currently possible and I'm missing something, please let me know!)

Thanks for listening!

Feather Rose

- Versus Mode vs CPU so you can pick CPU ratio, opponent, assist, color, stage you specifically want and rematch/etc right after a match immediately sounds convenient when arcade in comparison is a set amount of limited cpu matches in random circumstances outside your control.

That said something like that sounds reasonably possible (you can do most of that when picking the CPU opponent in training mode but no AI currently), but there are higher priorities at this time such as deciding on new IPS/ Undizzy system through repeated experiments on beta.

- Endless arcade mode without Marie boss encounter sounds similar to a survival type mode. Lab Zero/Mike mentioned adding modes such as that is possible, but like anything takes time/resources. Their top priority right now is getting the backlog of DLC characters finished. Mentioned on the Skullgirls FAQ

- AI In training mode is actually on the Mike Z To-Do-List.By No means a guarantee, but the fact it's on the list means he will try to implement it when he gets to it.

Reactions: TehFurby
If this feature ever does goes through. (Keyword being IF)
Then there might as well be a spectate mode so you could watch CPU vs. CPU matches.

Last edited:
Training mode does have AI now (I guess it didn't when this was posted, which would have been pretty near the beginning of Squigly Edition/MDE). It's the "CPU" thing on the training mode menu. You could go into training, make sure the meter and health options are set to "normal", set the AI to the difficulty you want and death to on, then exit the menu and make a savestate. Then you can fight whatever opponent you chose as much as you like, just reload the savestate when you want to start over.