• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls and Steam Controller?

Steam controller. Yay or nay?

• Total voters

GiZmOtmk

Reaction score
Steam
GiZmOtmk
Peacock Valentine
So, for those of you who play Skullgirls with a Gamepad, you may or may not have developed a slight interest in the upcoming Steam Controller. You know the one - trackpads instead of thumbsticks, bit weird looking. I know I have.

Well, the thing is, the controller may be a lot more useable for fighting games than it appears at first glance. Here's a couple videos I found of "Trial by Game" using the Steam Controller with Super Street Fighter 4:

tl;dr: Steam Controller GOOD. Left trackpad is great for combo moves like 360s, quarter circles and that annoying zigzag thing. Right trackpad doesn't work unless Steam is in "Big Picture" mode (don't know wether that's because it's in beta or some bug in Windows) but programming it to register as four buttons (LP, MP, LK and MK), whilst having the right bumper and trigger set to HP and HK feels "better than the Xbox controller".

Well, I personally am sold (I don't see myself using a proper fightstick for some stupid reason), but what do you all think? Is there some combo or technique you feel would be impossible with this device? Or do you agree that Skullgirls can work with the Steam Controller?

Reactions: Flotilla
My only problem so far from a technical standpoint is that the controller just emulates keyboard/mouse instead of being a proper gamepad. It's just more unnecessary config jumping.

That aside, I'm not quite sure just yet. It's going to be a bit awkward with using a trackpad as players are used to either sticks on a 360 pad or the PS3 dpad.
A bigger concen I have is how the controller will handle diagonals with precision. SF4 is ridiculously lenient when it comes to inputs, so it isn't a good game to test precision.

Potential upside is the inclusion of two rear buttons. No idea how good they are in practice just yet, but they open up some interesting possibilities when it comes to button layouts since you'll now have 4 shoulder buttons and two rear buttons in addition to the right trackpad, which should allow you to easily use analog assists and open up macros for button dashing.

Last edited: