• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Steam - Windows Skullgirls breaks my desktop/windows 8

Sinclair

Ur favorite eliza player
Reaction score
Eliza Double
this happens to me 20% of the time i alt tab out of skullgirls, it even happens when i don't alt-tab and just exit the game.
It breaks my entire desktop, i have the feeling its some kinda windows 8 crash.

039bd068b3.png
e838874634.png

Is there any way to prevent this from happening ever again? It's extremely frustrating to restart my laptop over and over again and even losing some of my work (I learned to save it now before the crash gets worse, and yeah, the hard way lmao) It always starts with a few icons disappearing from the start menu and gets progressively worse later on, when it starts you cannot keep it from getting worse.
I'd really appreciate it if someone could just tell me -why- this happens, because it only happens with skullgirls and no other game.

Currently typing this while in breakage limbo, help is appreciated. It's usually worse than this, everything windows related just breaks or crashes, so i think it's an issue with directx or something but i have no idea ok.

save me

Also like i said, everything works but my desktop just crashes and breaks, alt tab breaks, desktop, menu, EVERYTHING windows related just dies, crashes and breaks. No errors.

I've never had this happen to me but it's quite possible that Windows Explorer has died causing your issue.

Out of interest, the next time it happens can you try pressing CTRL+Shift to get to the Task Manager, look for 'Explorer' in the process list and kill it. Once you've killed it flick 'File' -> New Task... type 'explorer' and hit run.

This should restart explorer, your menu bar should reappear and the icons on your desktop should hopefully become usable again. While this won't tell you why the problem is happening it should allow you to recover your desktop.

If it does work let me know - Looking at your Windows Event Viewer might provide some indication of when and why Windows Explorer is crashing (if indeed it is crashing..)

I've never had this happen to me but it's quite possible that Windows Explorer has died causing your issue.

Out of interest, the next time it happens can you try pressing CTRL+Shift to get to the Task Manager, look for 'Explorer' in the process list and kill it. Once you've killed it flick 'File' -> New Task... type 'explorer' and hit run.

This should restart explorer, your menu bar should reappear and the icons on your desktop should hopefully become usable again. While this won't tell you why the problem is happening it should allow you to recover your desktop.

If it does work let me know - Looking at your Windows Event Viewer might provide some indication of when and why Windows Explorer is crashing (if indeed it is crashing..)
Thank you so much! I'll do that next time it happens and i'll make sure to tell you if it worked or not.
Thank you for your time!