• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report Skullgirls Development News Roundup

Number 13

Training.
Reaction score
Steam
HooliganComboFTW
Filia
index.php

Skullgirls has some development news to report now.

- First EU [that just got the 2nd Encore patch on 7/22] and Japan PSN has now received Robo-Fortune dlc. As you may know the different regions are getting Robo-Fortune at different times so it’s nice to hear that the European and Japanese community can catch up on the game now and experience playing and fighting against the latest character entry Robo-Fortune. Find out more details in the rest of the article
[prebreak] [/prebreak]

vNUToRW.png

xUNYvlj.png

- Second is an update from Lab Zero about the patch to fix bugs regarding 2nd Encore on PS3/PS4 that includes Gallery Mode crashes, impossible trophy clears, and broken challenges. Lab 0 has reported that they submitted the patch to address these issues and is currently awaiting patch approval from Sony.

pNOElJ5.png

- Next, further updates for those in the EU that want the limited time Skullgirls 2nd Encore PS4 theme. The process to obtain the theme is different compared to NA where NA had to order beforehand. Since there was complications, EU players has a limited time [first few weeks] after release to get 2nd Encore to obtain the PS4 theme.

There was confirmed reports however that early bird EU players that bought 2nd Encore and expected the PS4 theme has never received it. Lab 0 has stated that they are getting this resolved ASAP and once that has happened all owners that already own 2nd Encore for PS4 and any future owners during the limited time period should automatically get the theme.
skullgirls_theme.png
- Lastly for those that own Skullgirls on Xbox 360 and waiting for Microsoft to give you 2nd Encore patch/Robo-Fortune here is a shred of good news for you because while the whole thing is still stuck in approval limbo, because it took so long Lab 0 was able to just submit another patch with the updated fixes that PS3 got so at least 360 players will get caught up once it actually arrives

We will keep you updated as more developments are announced so until next time.

tumblr_inline_n6igs52VMI1r0exik.gif

Excellent

now waiting on lobbies like
s0ukwp7.gif

I've had it as my desktop background since someone posted a large enough version a couple weeks ago it's godlike

Weird that there aren't any news about JP release date for PS4. I'm not Japanese nor I live in Japan, I'm just getting curious. It seems L0 can't even talk about it.

Any ETA on Lobbies?

Waiting for 2nd encore trials/voices on PC :/

I've had it as my desktop background since someone posted a large enough version a couple weeks ago it's godlike
Would you kindly link or upload that version? I'd love to use it too <3

At the moment I'm using fortunes stage at night as my wallpaper

Reactions: Wenzel
Weird that there aren't any news about JP release date for PS4. I'm not Japanese nor I live in Japan, I'm just getting curious. It seems L0 can't even talk about it.
The statement in a recent blog post is full of mysterious hype:
It’ll be released in the EU on July 22nd and… later in Japan.

We’d love to explain the reason for the Japanese delay, but unfortunately we’re not at liberty to. But it’s a good thing. A great thing, even!
We've been speculating that perhaps the delay is for a big feature of 2nd Encore: the audio-overhaul of story mode. But for Japan, instead of English subbed Japanese, a Japanese dub. Possibly a whole cast of Japanese voice actors!

It is a lot of work to cast, organize, record, and edit so it makes sense it could cause a indeterminate delay. Japanesse story mode, and maybe even character gameplay dialogue. Imagine Samson saying "Kedama!" when Filia does a hairball attack, or Beowulf wins a match and holds up his belt and shouts "Watashi ga iu subete ga kyatchifurezudesu!"

The statement in a recent blog post is full of mysterious hype:

We've been speculating that perhaps the delay is for a big feature of 2nd Encore: the audio-overhaul of story mode. But for Japan, instead of English subbed Japanese, a Japanese dub. Possibly a whole cast of Japanese voice actors!

It is a lot of work to cast, organize, record, and edit so it makes sense it could cause a indeterminate delay. Japanesse story mode, and maybe even character gameplay dialogue. Imagine Samson saying "Kedama!" when Filia does a hairball attack, or Beowulf wins a match and holds up his belt and shouts "Watashi ga iu subete ga kyatchifurezudesu!"

hmm... that reminds me, I posted a thread about what the game would sound like if it was dubbed in Japanese. If the game does get dubbed in Japanese, I hope that Lab Zero releases an update that includes the Japanese audio track (with English subtitles no less) for convenience.

You can see my take below

* Filia/Fukua - Kana Hanazawa
* Samson/Shamone - Tetsu Inada
* Cerebella - Ryoko Shiraishi (given her personality, as well as her connections with the Mafia, it would be appropriate if she speaks Kansai-ben)
* Peacock - Rie Kugimiya
* Parasoul - Yuu Kobayashi
* Ms. Fortune/Robo-Fortune - Shizuka Itou
* Painwheel - Mitsuki Saiga (given how hoarse her voice is in the English track, Mitsuki with definitely make a fit for her)
* Valentine - Romi Park
* Eliza - Sanae Kobayashi
* Sekhmet - Megumi Hayashibara
* Albus - Junichi Suwabe
* Horace - Tomokazu Sugita
* Beowulf - Yuichi Nakamura
* Squigly - Ami Koshimizu
* Leviathan - Toshihiko Seki
* Double - Marina Inoue, Ryo Horikawa (Republican Double) (Kansai-ben + Republicans (which is what the American South is associated with, and people from the Kansai region tend to be stereotyped as hicks just like Southerners) = comedy gold)
* Black Egret Soldiers - Shinichiro Miki, Tsubasa Yonaga, Hiroshi Kamiya and Daisuke Namikawa

Reactions: BallotBoxer
Since this mentions the 360 update, and the update is out. Quick question; Why are taunts not featured in the tutorials for the main 8 char., Fukua, and Squigly (hidden, of course)? Or, were they not intended to be given a tutorial? Don't worry, the inputs are still in the Command list though.

render (i believe is the one who did the tutorial, correct me if i'm wrong) had said that they basically kept the tutorials to core gameplay mechanics, and since taunts for the original cast don't affect gameplay at all it wouldn't be worth the effort to put them in. Original cast tutorials haven't been changed in a while IIRC since they were just "specials and supers" not strategy stuff like the tutorials for DLC chars.

render (i believe is the one who did the tutorial, correct me if i'm wrong) had said that they basically kept the tutorials to core gameplay mechanics, and since taunts for the original cast don't affect gameplay at all it wouldn't be worth the effort to put them in. Original cast tutorials haven't been changed in a while IIRC since they were just "specials and supers" not strategy stuff like the tutorials for DLC chars.
Fair enough.

If the game does get dubbed in Japanese, I hope that Lab Zero releases an update that includes the Japanese audio track (with English subtitles no less) for convenience.

I'd be fine with it even without the subtitles, since presumably the story lines would be the same or similar. For the battle lines, listening to japanese voices and having no clue to what they are saying is pretty normal when it comes to older fighting games so I'd welcome it.

Does anyone know if the Japanese voices will be on Steam globally? I already saw on Twitter that it's not going to be in the US release (and probably EU) on PS4 but what about Steam? Will the JP voices be region locked or can they be switched at will?

Does anyone know if the Japanese voices will be on Steam globally? I already saw on Twitter that it's not going to be in the US release (and probably EU) on PS4 but what about Steam? Will the JP voices be region locked or can they be switched at will?
It's unknown but unlikely.

Nothing modders can't fix, I'm sure.
You'd have to extract the PS4-format sounds from the PS4 version and convert and rename them in order to do that if they are not shipped on PC, and figure out the sprite file format to edit those.

You'd have to extract the PS4-format sounds from the PS4 version and convert and rename them in order to do that if they are not shipped on PC, and figure out the sprite file format to edit those.

All I know is that modders were able to get announcers and character art from Chrono Phantasma into the PC version of Continuum Shift so at least getting the files doesn't seem to be impossible.

OR turn off all music and effects and painstakingly record each and every sound manually.

Reactions: Dean[SG]
Oh I thought you meant it was unlikely that the JP voices would be available worldwide on Steam, that's really weird if it's a platform exclusive language, lol.

Oh I thought you meant it was unlikely that the JP voices would be available worldwide on Steam, that's really weird if it's a platform exclusive language, lol.
Why? If Arc's name is on the JP PS4 version and not on the others, does it not seem possible for them to want something exclusive?

PS4 games aren't region locked, right? So one could import it if necessary. But would 2nd Encore be region locked because it is digital? I think most DLC is region locked.

In another thread, @Tokkan found a Famitsu article. It has one cast reveal:

Filia = Ayana Taketatsu
(Of all her work, I've only seen one role: Sword Art Online II – Suguha Kirigaya/Leafa)

GETTU READY FORA SHOWSUTOPPAH
致命ための準備ができました!
(Chimei tame no junbi ga dekimashita!)

Funny how showstopper has no equivalent so it translates into "fatal". So they might keep it English (shostoppah).

Reactions: SmashBlade
So wait, does this mean japanese get both english and japanese dubs?

Maaaaaaaan D:

Actually it could be that the PS4 is just JPN only, which would be pretty funny that one version of the same game has a completely different dub despite being mostly the same (ahem aside form obvious balance changes and extra additions).

Actually it could be that the PS4 is just JPN only, which would be pretty funny that one version of the same game has a completely different dub despite being mostly the same (ahem aside form obvious balance changes and extra additions).

can't wait for them to dub the voice packs
* Republican Double: a really thick Kansai-ben (Osaka-ben to be precise)
* Salty Parasoul: a "posh" accent
* Anime Peacock: otaku accent plus heavy amounts of engrish
* Dazed Announcer: Tohoku-ben (captures that drunken and clumsy feel)
* Valley Girl Painwheel: Tokyo neo-dialect (i.e. a mixture of Tokyo dialect and Kansai-ben)
* Saxploitation Big Band: Yakuza dialect (captures the sexploitation feel)

Last edited:
PS4 games aren't region locked, right? So one could import it if necessary. But would 2nd Encore be region locked because it is digital? I think most DLC is region locked.
Nah, import would work fine. A region "X" game will run fine on a region "Y" PS4, whether digital or physical, and there's only a problem with DLC if its region doesn't match the game's. (E.g. "importing" a Japanese digital PS4 game would work, but DLC made for the European version of the game wouldn't be recognized.)

Reactions: BallotBoxer
Nah, import would work fine. A region "X" game will run fine on a region "Y" PS4, whether digital or physical, and there's only a problem with DLC if its region doesn't match the game's. (E.g. "importing" a Japanese digital PS4 game would work, but DLC made for the European version of the game wouldn't be recognized.)
This also applies to things like DLC codes and registration. You need a local PSN account (very easy to make a Jap one by creating randomized false addresses actually), to be able ot access the store and even get things like DLC or new games. Of course updates also come free.

I hate to be that guy, but you should learn to use "jp" or "jpn" instead of this. It's a derogatory term to many.

Not where I'm from.

Though I guess it is where he's from.

Sorry, I'll use jp from now on. I didn't realize it would be seen as negative. I never meant it as such. Thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: earlfriend
Better safe than sorry?

Well let's just say that if you used it on a wrong person, he might turn it on his head and accuse you of trying to conform his culture to american standards and similar bollocks.

Just found it..."funny", when it first crossed my mind. :D