• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Gameplay Improvement Thread - Post your videos!

There is no audio but it's just a simple match I played recently
Practice combos more. You drop most of your combos within 9 hits.

Learn a real combo off Beowulf's throw/air throw/command throw. At 0:29 you just did four knees into chair dance. You can do three knees then one headbutt then c.MP c.HP into whatever. At the end of the game it's the same thing, you get an air grab on incoming but instead of doing a combo you just do a grab finisher. You can do headbutts into full combo.

You tend to hold neutral back when you're defending. Upback is better than neutral back 99.9% of the time. Upback defends you from both throws and overheads; neutral back only defends against overheads.

Big Band's taunt can't be done safely after SSJ, but I guess you noticed that. If you ever taunt at a bad time, keep in mind it's super cancellable, so you can cancel it into SSJ as a gimmick.

Why'd you do full screen Arm at 0:11? Don't understand this at all.

Last edited:
Practice combos more. You drop most of your combos within 9 hits.

Learn a real combo off Beowulf's throw/air throw/command throw. At 0:29 you just did four knees into chair dance. You can do three knees then one headbutt then c.MP c.HP into whatever. At the end of the game it's the same thing, you get an air grab on incoming but instead of doing a combo you just do a grab finisher. You can do headbutts into full combo.

You tend to hold neutral back when you're defending. Upback is better than neutral back 99.9% of the time. Upback defends you from both throws and overheads; neutral back only defends against throws.

Big Band's taunt can't be done safely after SSJ, but I guess you noticed that. If you ever taunt at a bad time, keep in mind it's super cancellable, so you can cancel it into SSJ as a gimmick.

Why'd you do full screen Arm at 0:11? Don't understand this at all.

I was curious to see if Gigantic Arm could hit both BB and parasoul but clearly it didn't work thanks for the tips mcpeanuts i'll keep them in mind and work on longer combos. Also the Big Band taunt was terrible XD

One more thing what do you mean specifically by neutral back and up back? DO you mean standing block and air block?

One more thing what do you mean specifically by neutral back and up back? DO you mean standing block and air block?
I mean the direction you hold on the controller. So upback is diagonally up and away from your opponent, neutral back is holding straight away from your opponent. "Standing block" and "air block" don't really work to differentiate them unfortunately. You can air block by holding neutral back if you're already in the air, and you can stand block by holding upback if what your opponent does forces you to block on the ground.

I mean the direction you hold on the controller. So upback is diagonally up and away from your opponent, neutral back is holding straight away from your opponent. "Standing block" and "air block" don't really work to differentiate them unfortunately. You can air block by holding neutral back if you're already in the air, and you can stand block by holding upback if what your opponent does forces you to block on the ground.

aight thanks for the clarification time to get to work :P *cracks knuckles*

Hello I have 68 hours in the game and have been very into it the last week and am really trying to get better, the follow video is how a typical match will play out. Any and all advice is appreciated I am the Valentine/Big Band on the left

The person I was facing is named Karr, a very good player with 1000+ hours in the game

The Deadcross at 1:03 was by accident, what I meant to do was j.MP->j.MK->j.HK and if I was lucky I would get a Savage Bypass in there as well (im not very good at landing those which is kind of a bummer since they're very important)

Okay, there's a lot to unpack in this video.

First is that, your neutral with Valentine all around, it didn't have many/any Deadcrosses or even Air Dashing. You just did double jump into a button without seemingly reacting to much or doing it for any reason. There's a lot ot neutral to explain, but let me sum up Val like this: You should mostly look for 2 things, 1. Hanging back with jump backs and double jump backs and throwing Deadcrosses to make the opponent approach you on your terms, 2. When your opponent is close enough to your range, use things like jHK, jMK, and jHP to hit out the opponent if they take to the air, and do those into either Air Dash jMP/jLK or Deadcrosses to cover yourself if they did nothing and are staying on the ground (to cover yourself as you fall down). When you look at other Val players, try to break down their gameplay from this mindset and see what works/what doesn't (or, how they expand these options) and try to follow the structure like that.

At 45 seconds in, you do wakeup Ground H Bypass. This option isn't realy good for wakeup and should be avoided, mostly because it is not invincible. If your opponent is far away, you don't have to wakeup with anything. If your opponent is close by, you can wakeup with Scalpels Super, EKG super, Level 3 Super, or Counter Super, or even tag, but just don't do H Bypass.

At 50 seconds, and for the rest of the video, you do the classic new Valentine player problem of "pressing too many buttons on your blockstring/confirm". Which is to say, you kept trying to do sLPx3->sMPx2. This is usually bad because it is a lot of hits and scales pretty bad. I think you should practice just doing sLPx2->cMK instead, just so you get into the habit of using less hits at the start of your strings for better damage.

After that, you start just doing Ground Bypasses. If you're going to try using Bypasses, just try to stick to do doing jump->H Air Bypass, since it goes the most distance and lets you confirm.

For Big Band, I have 2 main bits of advice.

1. When you did that initial combo into level 3, you should've have spent that meter if it wouldn't have killed. Learn to forsee how much damage your combo will do at the end before a super before committing to a level 3 like that, and only spend heavily if it will kill. ~Its also important to remember that with Big Band, ending a combo with H A train and/or H Brass results in hard knockdown, so don't be afraid to just end a combo with just those moves if the combo won't kill.

2. You just didn't seem to have any real Big Band combo sequence in mind. Check out the Big Band compendium and practice the combos there and get the hang of this.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Thank you very much for the feedback! I was practicing the wall bounce Big Band combos today and made significant progress. The bypass stuff with Valentine is just a really bad habit that I am trying to get rid of where I use it to close distance. I was also working on the real Valentine combo (with the two bypass after c.HP->J.HP followed by air dash j.MP etc) which has proved to be much more difficult

Here is some of the progress I made today, How's this? The level 3 was just for show:

Its not ideally a good sequence, to be honest. Something w/o assists would be a better starting point. I'd specifically just try the Medium/Easy midscreen bnbs in the compendium.

I've been feeling kinda stagnant in my improvement lately so I thought getting some tips would be nice :0

I noticed some things about this video, particularly about my dropping/cutting off combos and wasting meter I guess...
I mostly just want to know if there's anything I can do to improve on my neutral game and such.

--------------------------

Here's another one...

This video I think is pretty comprehensive as far as my average game goes, and I've already noticed my lack of pbs, assists
and the like. Maybe using h.Cat Scratch x3 less would help? Just some pointers would be awesome!

Sure, I'm not as much of an expert as some here, but I'm glad to help.
For 2nd vid:
:15 you get a HP to connect, but try to convert off those stray hits.
at :23 you get breathing room w/a burst, but tapping back, front w/character switch will switch Bella in so Fortune can get some red health back.

When blocking, consider using a meter to Alpha Counter if you see the opportunity. With two meters, you can go right from AC to Bella's USS.
Overall, for both matches maybe call Bella assist earlier in the match for your approach.
And for the 2nd use that meter so you're not KO'd w/4 meters.
Keep it up!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! I'll get to work on using my assists/Alpha Counters more often.
I'll post some videos when I think I've made a breakthrough. :D