• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls' Popularity on PC (an appreciation thread)

Spencer

Painwheel
Reaction score
Steam
qspec
Painwheel Squigly
According to www.steamcharts.com , Skullgirls is one of the most popular fighters on PC.

While this is probably a bad time to run comparisons as it could be receiving a boost from its two back-to-back sales, SG has recently been one of the more reliably populated fighters on PC. I hope it stays and continues to grow.

Some numbers (30 day avg):
MKX: 2291 (and rapidly falling)
SFIV: 1178
SG: 762 (~850 counting Beta)
Injustice: 186
KoF: 177

In large part, I attribute this to a great product, but I don't think the level of support (though it about killed MikeZ, I think) and the ability to deliver on promises should be understated as they are unprecedented.

So this is a touch of needless ass kissing, but I guess what I want to say is thanks for delivering everything (and more) promised during the PC kickstarter. Whatever success you find on the PC is well earned.

Last edited:
When's the character popularly poles?

Oh wait the Indiegogo already happened.

When's the character popularly poles?

Oh wait the Indiegogo already happened.

Too soon. Still a fresh wound.

Beowulf... over Ileum? Get the fuck out of here :(

Reactions: Magma442
When's Adam or Feng!?

Anyway back on topic:
I'm glad Skullgirls is top of the fighters list is like one of the last good Marvel vs. Capcom fighting style games.

Reactions: Spencer
it was the sale. the backlash is already happening, and the same half dozen or so people are dog-piling the newest negative reviews as fast as they appear, which is pathetic and too obvious. there's a big difference between improvement and just polishing a turd. too many fans respond incorrectly to the negative emotions of others. lump "get good" and other slaps in the face onto an already newbie-punishing game, and you get serious resentment, which you can then continue to sweep under the carpet instead of fixing. what you're doing now isn't working.

A for effort, but if you actually bothered to LOOK at the reviews, just in the past week there are 9 negative reviews, all of which (besides yours, which by the way is super descriptive and helpful for prospective buyers) have less than .5 hours played. It would take more time for me to count the positive reviews than it would take to write a thesis on how deluded and wrong you are. Stop trying to give the game a bad rep just because you think you got bullied when people pointed out your ragequits.

The sale will absolutely have an effect, but I don't know what else you're on about.

The game on Steam has ~7.5k reviews and a rating of "very positive".

Fighters are always new player unfriendly (I can't think of one that is easier to pick up and learn than SG though), and there will absolutely be negativity and resentment in a small portion of players. Others will just put it down after a bad bodying. I think I speak for all of us when I say that we are okay with that if for no other reason than that it is simply unavoidable.

And maybe I caught the Steam community at a hyper friendly time, but I see nothing but new players asking for games and advice... and getting both games and advice.

And maybe I caught the Steam community at a hyper friendly time, but I see nothing but new players asking for games and advice... and getting both games and advice.
the community has many members that are always reliable for technical advice. but show them some feelings, and there will be serious problems.

Just popping in to say that any further talk not related to OP's topic will be purged at moderino discretion. Cheers, and I'm happy to see that SG's increased playercount has persisted.

Reactions: Apex and Spencer
I love Skullgirls. I wish I was more social so I could openly challenge or ask for fights. Hell, I'm pretty mediocre at the game in a lot of ways, but I enjoy the heck out of it. Increased player base is always nice. :D

Reactions: dMags
Are we talking steamcharts.com?
Cuz I get nothing from .net
http://steamcharts.com/app/245170
For anyone else as lazy as I was.

Yeah, .com. I'll change it in the OP. I've no idea why I put .net... been spending too much time at work I guess...

I'm glad that the game got some momentum after that sale. That said, I don't want to play as much just because I might discourage someone from the game.
Also, I hate when people come here and go all like "this game has infinites, bla bla, someone was mean to me" and so on.

I'm glad that the game got some momentum after that sale. That said, I don't want to play as much just because I might discourage someone from the game.

Yeah I'm having the same issue. Last night I had a few good games, but generally, I feel like I'm bodying new players and pushing people away from the game.

If you're going to QM, now might be a good time to tighten up your weakest character.

It'd also be cool to get some more veteran players doing some big ol' lobbies (those that aren't already anyway). So on that note, if anyone wants to get a lobby or two going, look me up. I'd be down to play. Been working on my solo PW again.

While I feel like veterans should generally shy away from QM anyway, on the topic of lobbies it was really heartening to see like 8 beginner lobbies on retail night before last (I think) and pretty regularly at least 4 consistenly, I definitely recommend beginners try to stick to beginner lobbies when they're starting out so they don't end up against people way above their level. I guess really IMO quick match should be for intermediate level players for the most part.

While I feel like veterans should generally shy away from QM anyway, on the topic of lobbies it was really heartening to see like 8 beginner lobbies on retail night before last (I think) and pretty regularly at least 4 consistenly, I definitely recommend beginners try to stick to beginner lobbies when they're starting out so they don't end up against people way above their level. I guess really IMO quick match should be for intermediate level players for the most part.

The reason I QM is because I have limited time to play (pregnant wife, full time job, other hobbies, whatever), and so I check lobbies, don't see names I recognize as being about my skill level, so I QM it up for 30 - 60 minutes.

Edit to add: VT! I went to UVM. Super dope place.