• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls reads my 1 controller as 2 inputs (1st and 2nd player)

xtheradiostar

Reaction score
Steam
xtheradiostar
XBL
xtheradiostar
Squigly Filia
I'm using a Qanba Q4 set to PS3/PC mode. When skullgirls starts, I am given the options Keyboard 1, Keyboard 2, Controller 1, Controller 2, even though I only have 1 controller and 1 keyboard. When I move to the left, Controller 1 goes to the left spot as intended. If I then move to the right, Controller 2 moves to the right spot and Controller 1 goes back to center.
The result of this is that I cannot practice in training mode, because both characters move at the same time.
I've tried tricky button reconfigs, I've tried putting the keyboard in the 2nd player slot, I've deleted the Keybindings.bin countless times. No fix.
This is only affecting me in training mode (haven't tried local multiplayer.. probably would mess up there too...) and I'm forced to use a few workarounds: either set the dummy to playback repeat, and record a few standing frames; or set the dummy to crouch. The first lets me test all my setups, but I cannot use any of the options like tech, block after 1st, or burst. The second one has all the options available but I cannot practice full standing combos.
Easiest suggested fix: Give the dummy a standing option instead of just manual!

Using Ubuntu 13.04 with Wine 1.4.1
The game runs great like this otherwise. Great coding!! Very portable!

I think it has to do with running it on Ubuntu with Wine, because I had a Q4 and never ran into this issue running it on Windows 8.

For now, consider picking player 2's team as what you want to practice as, then go to the training menu and set Select to Record/play dummy, then tap it once to put the pause symbol on screen. End result is you take control of player 2 without player 1 moving. Or rather, that's what should be happening? Not sure lol

I'm on windows 7 using a fighting edge and this happens to me occasionally as well, but it's generally a bug.

It reconfigures my lk button to mk so I have to use mk to enter screens and stuff and lk to get out... Basically reversed.

It hasn't happened in awhile but when it does I get the same thing in training mode.. Which is cool for some stuff actually... But ultimately is annoying. What I do is just restart skullgirls and the problem tends to fix itself. But I just wanted to post in here to say that the phenomenon that you are experiencing is something that I've experienced to a lesser extent, as well.

I just think its a bug that mike needs to know about so they can get on solving it. Others might have the same problem that I have and not said anything since it's easily fixable. Or maybe they don't play training mode.

I used to get that issue with a regular XBOX360 for Windows pad, but lately it's not appeared as well. Can confirm restart fixed it.

Just an update. I've recently updated WINE and re-installed everything including Steam. The problem persists.
Local multiplayer works great. Strangely enough when I have my Q4 and an X360 controller attached, the game shows 4 controllers.

I have this same issue with my aftershock 360 USB controller, I am not sure what causes it, but its only happened twice in the multiple times that I have played on the internet. I wish I could be more helpful, but occasionally it switched to player 2, I am not sure if this is a bug in the programming, or there is another program running. I am not running WINE or any other second party program.

I've had some pretty mixed results with different setups with WINE on Fedora.

• Dual-Shock 3 + QJoypad: Several phantom controllers, sluggish input, and one which seems to always be holding up. Verified it's not a QJoypad issue.
  • Dual-Shock 3 (standard linux driver): Recognized as a legitimate controller and is relatively responsive. Works well for the most part, but I still get phantom controllers.
  • Playstation 1 pad + USB adapter + QJoypad: Probably the most consistent, but sluggish inputs. No phantom controllers.
I get curious about getting it to work for the sake of having a portable practice machine, but I just don't think my laptop's beefy enough (i5-3317U's HD4000 with 512MB shared RAM acting as VRAM) to handle WINE abstraction underneath SG.

Online play is absolutely out of the question, controller issues or not. I don't know if WINE's wrappers for the Linux kernel's TCP stack is super sluggish or what, but it's incredibly laggy in real matches.

The wait for native continues.

a little old, but i just ran into this (Ubuntu 14 / Wine 1.7) - two devices are created for each joysick, one at /dev/input/eventXX and another at /dev/input/jsX. i think Skullgirls (when run under Wine) sees the devices as two separate controllers, which results in the 'phantom controllers'. inputs from the controller are read by the game as inputs from two different controllers, which causes the problem.

you can run 'wine control', go to Game Controllers, then disable one of the duplicate inputs and you should be good to go.

i had the same issue with SSFIV (under Wine), same solution fixed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: xtheradiostar